Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

who cares, you won't be forced to click the button. much less invasive addition than most of the shit I can think of google sticking on there

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd much rather have "autodetect music > buy on amazon button" than "autodetect music > shutdown stream + copyright claim". Also might help address the storage/infrastructure issues twitch's been having, maybe we can get our permanent archives back.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I can see why JTV was shut down if it happens to be integrated into a new streaming platform for Amazon, but I do miss JTV's profile features.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    I'd much rather have "autodetect music > buy on amazon button" than "autodetect music > shutdown stream + copyright claim". Also might help address the storage/infrastructure issues twitch's been having, maybe we can get our permanent archives back.
    You nerds and your tinfoil hats lol, so cute.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I really do like Twitch, but it's become too easy to be a Hitbox user.

The only thing Twitch still has over them right now is the PS4 support, that I can think of. I can't outright forget Twitch simply because of that for the moment. I do hope they revert back to the way things were, or at least improve on what it is now.

Can't get that much worse...can it?

I just don't understand how this went from Google to Amazon. Totally different expectations. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing when I think of what's happening already.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Google dropped out to avoid FTC Anti-Trust claims
    It appears Google skipped out on acquiring Twitch because it would likely have not passed muster with the Federal Trade Commission.

According to a report on Forbes, a Twitch buyout could resulted in antitrust claims against it by the FTC if Twitch was considered by the government regulator committee as direct competitor.

The report states that because of this, Twitch and Google could not agree on the size of a potential “breakup fee in case the deal did not go through.”

In recent years Google was said to be courting the idea of buying Spotify and instant messaging company WhatsApp. The later was bought by Facebook instead.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/26/twit...buyout-google/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/...rust-concerns/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Twitch CEO Emmett Shear and Amazon’s VP of games Michael Frazzini explain how excited they are
    Twitch and Amazon held a town hall meeting on the streaming service the online mega retailer just purchased for $970 million. In it, Twitch CEO Emmett Shear and Amazon’s VP of games Michael Frazzini, discuss the future and the acquisition.

While the two wouldn’t go int specifics on the deal, Twitch will remain in control as a subsidiary of Amazon.

“The exciting thing about the Amazon deal is I get to keep doing what I do,” Shear said as transcribed by The Daily Dot.

“The only change is I get to do it faster,” Shear added noting Amazon’s engineering and infrastructure backend as well as its cozy relationship with advertisers and game developers.

Amazon’s Frazzini said during the stream the company doesn’t plan on changing anything Twitch does as it’s already doing an “absolutely great job.”

“If you look at what Twitch and the community has created in such a short time it’s phenomenal,” said Frazzini. “We really think this is just the beginning.”

That said, the two did say it’s looking at integrating Twitch Turbo with Amazon Prime, but there was nothing to announced at this time.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/26/twitch-amazon-merger/
    http://www.dailydot.com/esports/amaz...tch-town-hall/
    http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/c/4987829

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Meanwhile twitch is getting ddosed and doesn't load lol.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

They sold themselves short, I feel they could have gotten so much more for how big they are.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Sorry, virtually $1bn is selling themselves short when they are literally nothing but a video game streaming site? Come on now...

They have literally no liquid assets, only a brand name that people use. If they had waited to try for more cash, they could have easily lost market share to another site (such as Hitbox) at any moment and gone from $1bn to $1m in no time at all. Think about how quickly so many other internet assets collapsed virtually overnight due to the rise of a competitor.

The internet is a volatile thing. This deal was and is a huge risk for Amazon. If they don't push it hard, avoid too much commercialization and keep improving it (as far as infrastructure and UI), they could easily lose everything on this deal.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Will be interesting to see if they roll in any bonus Twitch "features" into Amazon Prime, seeing as how they've already bundled Amazon Instant Video with it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Wonder if it'll affect streamers/streaming in general in the future.