+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by geno3302 View Post
    I have 0 interest in this, but to stay on topic:

1) Since Reraise is so hard to get, and often you die in a horrible spot so you'll instantly die again, I suggest removing weakness and revive with 1/2 or full HP. This would only be for reraise, not raise.

2) Add equipment that unlocks cross class spells/abilities, similar to how Impact works on Twilight Cloak. This will help with soloing but wont change party play too much. A WAR/NIN that can cast Cure III 2-3 times helps a lot with downtime and solo play but wont change too much in party play. Obviously, to maintain balance, you'd have to make sure to avoid giving something like Provoke to a PLD/NIN (or do give it to them because it's dumb that PLD doesn't have provoke)

3) Change food. There's no reason to have 30 types of food that all give ATT+30, make some of them give unique effects. Things like Endrain, Enaspir, Haste Samba, add.eff. Paralyze/slow. Can tweak the M.ACC on them so they wont land well or at all on high level targets. Again all of these can do a lot for solo without hurting party play.
    I like these ideas, In terms of weakness I agree that weakness is not necessary on Reraise, and I definitely have added that to the to-do list.

In terms of adding ability enabling... I am actually trying to expiriment with adding customizable enchantments to gear, to allow players to "equip" enchantments to their gear.

That will be a lot of work, but I think the data supports putting any enchantment you want on any equipment you want. If so, I want to have an NPC you can trade gear+rare item to apply an enchantment. I think I'll hijack the synergy NPCs for this (because once again, fuck synergy)

Food: Also good idea to work on, food as it stands is very lackluster. A lot of it is straight up useless.

I believe the code straight up allows me to apply any existing mod in the game (including shit like abilities effects and whatnot) to food, SE just never felt like putting anything beyond basic stats on food and rarely stuff like... demon killer...

This is not possible. If I create a new item the client will not be able to view it unless they download the dats for that item. The only way you can do it w/o making them download and install dats is if you use existing items. Stat changes on the items will not reflect though. You can make a relic staff give haste +50 and STR+200 but the client will still only see a level 75 1 dmg 999 delay weapon.
    Which is exactly why my server uses augments, as those ARE visible.

Thus I can make "new" weapons via taking an old weapon, sticking specific augments on it, and maybe adding a signature to it to denote it being a "different" weapon

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also: in terms of a topic. What's everyone's opinions on recreating Mezzotinting, except at level 75, and instead of only specific gear literally being able to mezzotint any piece of gear you wish.

First off I need to add an NPC system that allows you to remove augments from any non-RE piece of gear by trading item+gear (I'm thinking Photoanima for this one)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've tinkered around a little with the private server code in the past and I know you can add any buff you want to food. If I remember correctly I made apple pie give all stats +100, MAB+100, refresh and tons movement speed.

Armor I'm unsure about, I haven't looked at the extra data on equipment. I only changed the database for +50 haste gloves >_> My guess is you can add whatever you want. I think for the augment text you would have to add to the dat file containing the generic strings. I believe FFXI sends augment ID + augment value with the item data, so you would have to create new IDs and strings for things like "Allows casting of Cure III" or whatever.

When I was messing with the private server code a lot was missing, I had to add in haste myself so I could have fun playing with it. I looked at it recently and it seems like they redid nearly all the server coding so anything I knew is long gone now.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    Also: in terms of a topic. What's everyone's opinions on recreating Mezzotinting, except at level 75, and instead of only specific gear literally being able to mezzotint any piece of gear you wish.

First off I need to add an NPC system that allows you to remove augments from any non-RE piece of gear by trading item+gear (I'm thinking Photoanima for this one)
    To be honest, if you're going to do this you shouldn't restrict it to level 75 gear.
    Considering the fact that if a character dies it gets deleted, I know many people would probably be interested in pimping out low level alternate characters with awesome augments and then doing PvP. This was a big fad in WoW. Pimp out level 20 character and do PvP stuff. Obviously WoW didn't delete your character for dying but could be interesting!

Can maybe even make it so the loser "drops" a random piece of equipment from their inventory or all their gil or something or both~ PvP might get more people interested

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

To be honest, if you're going to do this you shouldn't restrict it to level 75 gear.
    Considering the fact that if a character dies it gets deleted, I know many people would probably be interested in pimping out low level alternate characters with awesome augments and then doing PvP. This was a big fad in WoW. Pimp out level 20 character and do PvP stuff. Obviously WoW didn't delete your character for dying but could be interesting!

Can maybe even make it so the loser "drops" a random piece of equipment from their inventory or all their gil or something or both~ PvP might get more people interested
    Sorry I meant "level 75" as in lv 1-75 gear, as opposed to the fact mezzotinting is delve gear only.

So it would work for any level 1-75 non R/E gear. R/E gear will often already be strong so no mezzotinting that.

I am thinking maybe 3 types of items, which give defensive, melee, and magic stats.

Then have several tiers of the groups, 1-30 would be the three types of recollections from promyvion, 31-60 another item type, and 61-75 another type.

So in total, 9 items.

Step 1: wipe the item so it is non R/E and also doesn't have augments with a photoanima at synergy NPC

Step 2: Trade item to NPC to start mezzotinting, you pick any of like 20 stats. (I will almost for sure use signature to keep track of this stat, it's easiest and worked well for vanilla ffxi)

So I apply a signature of [TypeAvvvLevel1]

Step 3: Then you trade the mezzotinted item to the NPC again, this time they say "I need x of y to upgrade this"

Level 30:
    Type A: Recollections of Guilt
    Type B: Recollections of Fear
    Type C: Recollections of Pain
    Type D: whatever
    1-2-3-4-5 all the way up to x8 of the recollection to end up with a level 8 of the item.

This will give you stats the same way as mezzotinting, except one big thing:

It only takes up the first augment slot.

Then you can do it 2 more times(if the item is high level enough, level 15-30 items can only hold 1 augment) and end up with a customized piece of gear with 3 augments on it :D

I think it'd be a great way to quickly get specific stats on gear if you don't want to keep rerolling (say a scorpion harness or hauby)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Have you done anything to reduce the insane requirements for a relic or mythic? Most private servers I scope out have around 8-10 people on it which under normal circumstances at 75 wouldn't even be questionably possible to do things like Einherjar or killing fomor king / relic weapon for the final pieces let alone summing up the currencies. I'm not saying reduce it to the point of just handing it over for no effort but given how many are usually on at a given point.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Not sure what to consume for AF and relic though, needs to be something that works for any job, probably drops in dynamis, and would have some kind of magical power, lorewise (so ancient currency won't work
    How about Infinity Cores? Or remove the Attestation requirement for Maat fight and make Dynamis mobs uncommonly drop Job attestations(mastery of job according to lore) maybe make each dynamis mob drop one like 5-10% drop rate according to their job: Kindred Dark knight drops Dark Knight Attestation for example. Attestations for relic armor, infinity cores for relic weapons.

Maybe repurpose HQ crystals(inferno/twilight etc) which are normally used to sign shit, and make them used for AF augments, maybe make them buyable with conquest points or something. Can assign jobs to different crystals depending on theme i.e BLM, DRK= Twilight crystal, WAR, BST= Inferno crystal etc. Or make the crystals used to augment any job AF but give each crystal a differnt pool of augments. So Twilight can be M.accuracy/MP/Dark Resist, Inferno= Str/Attack/Resist Bind/weapon dmg

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

WOW!: Literaly HARDCORE vs CASUAL

Casual FFXI-ers mad?

I clearly understand the meaning of "hardcore" and there's also a term called "insane mode" or "God-mode". Believe me, I played God of War and don't have a problem with it. I get up, dust myself off and start from scratch if I have to, it's my game-time and mines alone to waste.

The server itself should be called "God of War", just so no one is confused on what to expect!

So the concept for this hardcore server must of came from "Sword Arts Online" am I right. Death was permanent in the anime ONCE YOUR HP hit ZERO PERCENT. No option to raise or be risen after that...
    On that note, the only thing I can touch on here is that sensitive "Perma-death system" there. If the punishment is so severe, wouldn't the raise spell be accessible to all WHMs who main as WHM through the same means as in retail?
    Two minutes before a KOed character to be deleted is by far very unforgiving and un-user friendly if you ask me. Very indiscriminant to those who are either hardcore or casual alike. What's the rush to delete a character forever and clear the room.

IDK if I'd restart or give up to be honest, I'm not playing on your server yet but even in a unforgiving cruel world, there is a sense of justice and balance. Everyone makes mistakes, there's always accidents and we're all not robots or marines. We're human with the ability to adapt and over-come. More meaningful ways can be adopted for this Hardcore version of FFXI online.

I'm not saying to take away the perma-death system, only request to look into ways to balance it out, even by a sliver. Phoenix downs was never introduced in the retail version and potions were always expensive through NPCs. Are you, the OP and developers expecting many hard-cores to get back up and dust themselves off before trying again before the up-right quit entirely before adjusting the game mechanics?

I'll try to offer ideas, I don't oppose anything your doing but it's like reliving life, if I die after playing one day because I was soloing and didn't escape on time from an agro while level (say) 18,lol! (sub-level quest level) 1: I can either hope I get raised and if I don't, I'm done here or 2: Restart, choose another job, character, name (blah blah), start grinding again using what I know and learned from the experience and do better, mean more people and make more friends and get more help!

I'm not a quitter but by no means does the experience have to be harsh(unless your harsh on yourself).

Again, back the "chance of life" topic. WHM are there and they SHOULD have raise. Maybe it's difficult to get, maybe not. There still should be some items to raise a fellow KOed adventurer...
    More KO time (10 min the least)
    A pixie or fairy in the area by chance
    Items or magic to extend KO time
    Team work should work in any FF but if someone's deleted, who will be the blame?

PS: MPKers form a rogue group and should be put on a "HUNT board". Justice for those who were MPKed by that player[s]. MPKers who are marked, I suggest giving them player-player collision. The community can devise any means what they want to use that for, lol!

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

There seems to be an issue in XI where scrolls of reraise don't stack. That's a retarded concept and you should fix it.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    There seems to be an issue in XI where scrolls of reraise don't stack. That's a retarded concept and you should fix it.
    lol Dude, srsly...

I'll really put up for Urat if no one else will because at-least he's has a concept and doing something besides playing.... (wtf are you doing??)

you don't have 2 like it, don't play, you'd probably die the first 10 min. Go to some other server, it's free!

User was infracted for this post.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Psxpert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Casual FFXI-ers mad?

I clearly understand the meaning of "hardcore" and there's also a term called "insane mode" or "God-mode". Believe me, I played God of War and don't have a problem with it. I get up, dust myself off and start from scratch if I have to, it's my game-time and mines alone to waste.

The server itself should be called "God of War", just so no one is confused on what to expect!

So the concept for this hardcore server must of came from "Sword Arts Online" am I right. Death was permanent in the anime ONCE YOUR HP hit ZERO PERCENT. No option to raise or be risen after that...
    On that note, the only thing I can touch on here is that sensitive "Perma-death system" there. If the punishment is so severe, wouldn't the raise spell be accessible to all WHMs who main as WHM through the same means as in retail?
    Two minutes before a KOed character to be deleted is by far very unforgiving and un-user friendly if you ask me. Very indiscriminant to those who are either hardcore or casual alike. What's the rush to delete a character forever and clear the room.

IDK if I'd restart or give up to be honest, I'm not playing on your server yet but even in a unforgiving cruel world, there is a sense of justice and balance. Everyone makes mistakes, there's always accidents and we're all not robots or marines. We're human with the ability to adapt and over-come. More meaningful ways can be adopted for this Hardcore version of FFXI online.

I'm not saying to take away the perma-death system, only request to look into ways to balance it out, even by a sliver. Phoenix downs was never introduced in the retail version and potions were always expensive through NPCs. Are you, the OP and developers expecting many hard-cores to get back up and dust themselves off before trying again before the up-right quit entirely before adjusting the game mechanics?

I'll try to offer ideas, I don't oppose anything your doing but it's like reliving life, if I die after playing one day because I was soloing and didn't escape on time from an agro while level (say) 18,lol! (sub-level quest level) 1: I can either hope I get raised and if I don't, I'm done here or 2: Restart, choose another job, character, name (blah blah), start grinding again using what I know and learned from the experience and do better, mean more people and make more friends and get more help!

I'm not a quitter but by no means does the experience have to be harsh(unless your harsh on yourself).

Again, back the "chance of life" topic. WHM are there and they SHOULD have raise. Maybe it's difficult to get, maybe not. There still should be some items to raise a fellow KOed adventurer...
    Team work should work in any FF but if someone's deleted, who will be the blame?

PS: MPKers form a rogue group and should be put on a "HUNT board". Justice for those who were MPKed by that player[s]. MPKers who are marked, I suggest giving them player-player collision. The community can devise any means what they want to use that for, lol!
    lol Dude, srsly...

I'll really put up for Urat if no one else will because at-least he's has a concept and doing something besides playing.... (wtf are you doing??)

you don't have 2 like it, don't play, you'd probably die the first 10 min. Go to some other server, it's free!
    What the fuck is this shit. Is this what the FFXI section is now?

Casual FFXI-ers mad?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah, nah.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    What the fuck is this shit. Is this what the FFXI section is now?
    Guy with 10 posts makes a dumb post, has nothing to do with what the XI section is lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What I don't understand is why he wasn't instantly perma banned or at least banned from ever posting in advanced again.

So some of this idea seems insane to me, but I admit I do like the idea of the augments on armor. It's a pretty cool idea and would add some fun to the game on your server.

I do however feel that the punishment for 1 death is really severe though, and was thinking of some way you could keep that but overcome people quitting instantly after they die and have their character deleted. Personally, if I had spent days, weeks w/e to get to level 50 or something, I would be pissed if my char got deleted and I had to start from scratch again. What I was thinking you could do is though, after you die and have your char deleted, the next char you make to have some kind of experience bonus to make getting back to that stage of the game not as much of a grind. Here's the format I was thinking, with some rough numbers.

I get to level 40 and die.
    Char deleted.
    I make a new character, but I get a 40% xp gain boost until I reach level 40 again.
    After I reach level 40, the experience gain returns to the normal rate.

I get to level 75 and die.
    Char deleted.
    I make a new character, but I get a 75% xp gain boost until I reach level 75 again.

As I was typing this, I just realized that someone would probably exploit the above (if it's even possible to do), to level multiple jobs with the xp bonus. So the idea probably sucks unless there's a workaround, but just trying to think of a way you could make your server more attractive.

It's a private server, so it's all good. Owners call.

But from a social design viewpoint, it's custom made for a clique to take over the server. Get a team of people who work together, and all they need to do is grief out any new people that pop up. Heck, just MPK the new White Mages, and life will take care of all others. Basically the first group with a functional WHM who can raise can own the place.

It also has the added fun of empowering individuals to destroy others work. Everyone has met the player that suddenly rages out over something trivial (or back at home), and stops healing, or stops tanking, and everyone dies. All you need is one social oopsy, and your crack party of 'friends' is erased forever because one person had a grudge or a bad day.

This private server makes for an interesting social experiment that would be worth observing. As for fun? That's in the individuals eye.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    Raise is a very lucrative spell to get ahold of. It's worth about as much effort as half a relic weapon.

Your white mage probably won't have raise anyways.
    P. sure he was referring to the WHM ceasing heals and allowing the DD to die, not that the WHM would be unwilling to Raise him.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    Exactly my response. Can only imagine it was a very artful way to get one of his ten posts.

However, he's on track when he said this was based on Sword Art Online, lol.

---

Considering how easy it is to die in FFXI, I think it's personally a very good social and thought experiment. However, it won't work because of the fact that it's absurd, it simply won't work because there isn't enough of a base of people to test it on. If this was say, 2007, or even 2009 this would have been a very popular server.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What I don't understand is why he wasn't instantly perma banned or at least banned from ever posting in advanced again.
    Who, urat or the thread bumper? (I'll bet your answer is "both.")

Our recent enthusiastic anime fan did get a one day timeout after the bump and the naughty name-calling. Neither was severe enough for a permaban.