+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Created a Private Server, Looking for Ideas

So over the past few months I got really into the darkstar forums and project, and have successfully got my own personal private server up and running to my liking.

Now I don't know if third party software and private servers themselves are okay to discuss here, so I won't link to anything. If anyone can tell me if it is okay to chat about here I can link to my server's info page and the darkstar stuff, but I won't for now just in case.

Now, why I am posting here! My server is built to have roughly CoP era content. It has dynamis (functional but kind of halfway between old and neo dynamis, you can make relic weapons and everything and farm relic gear fine though)

As well as sky is functioning I believe, etc etc. Im not 100% sure on every little thing that does work and what doesn't work, but in terms of up to CoP content I think it is almost 100% accessible.

But my server has some big changes to ffxi

Primarily 2 changes:

#1: Hardcore mode
    When you deathwarp, your character gets deleted. Raise I exists, but Raise 2-3, arise, reraise 1-3, instant reraise, reraise earring/gorget/hairpin, etc etc etc ALL removed from the game.

In other words, the only source of Raise is the spell itself (which is 75 million gil from npc... it also drops from a certain something but thats a secret until someone finds it) and Hi-reraisers (which drop off the KSNM99 fights super rarely)

In other words, perma death system.

Oh also the death timer is dropped from 60 mins to... 2 mins

A lot of people are complaining about this, but it is for good reason.

The darkstar forums already have like 20 servers with a wide variety of set ups in the CoP era, so this hardcore system is what makes my server different from the rest, if you don't like hardcore, there are other servers to play on.

#2:Smartloot, AKA all your shit is augmented
    Whenever you obtain weapons or armor over the level of 15, the server automatically augments it as you obtain it.

But unlike ffxi augmenting, the augments your gear have are kind of intelligent (its a work in progress)

First off, the gear only rolls GOOD augments. By good I mean you wont get dex-5 or acc-4, but you might get acc+7 body for your whm, or racc+6 gloves on your war.

Second, the augments pull from a pool of 20ish based on the slot. Every slot and each type of weapon has a different pool of 20ish augments from which it rolls out of.

For example, you can get dagger skill+ on any dagger that drops, or shield mastery on a shield, or fast cast on a harp.

Im tweaking the pools as people give me feedback to make all the gear feel a bit more interesting and different from each other, but that will take time.

So why am I posting here?

I am looking for some more ideas to go with the above to improve my server. You must realize that the two above are already 100% working and implemented, yeah, the server is up and running in beta phase as you read this.

So basically, I want everyone to tell me the stuff they really wish FFXI had, or ways the game was different.

I can't change models.
    I can't add new npcs.
    I can't add new cutscenes.
    I can't change visible stats on armor (these are pictures stored in the dats, I'd have to modify the picture on the client for them to see new stats)

I can add augments to armor
    I can change the in game effects (not visual but actual effect they have) of any usable item or spell or ability.
    I can move things around I'm pretty sure.
    I can do basic triggers, IE "When you trade these items to this npc, do this thing"
    I can add items to players inventories, take them out, gil, titles, etc.
    I think I can add new titles but not sure about that, avoiding touching that.

Here's some examples of basic mods I did:

Potions, ethers, etc all stack to 12 now. (the 12 doesnt show up visually but they stack)

When you are set to Away status, armor/weapons you obtain won't roll augments (that way you can sell it on AH) But when a person buys it off the ah in not away status, it will THEN roll augments when they buy it.
    This means you can craft a scorpion harness in away status, it wont roll augments, you put it on AH, someone buys it off you, you get gil, and they get it off AH and THEN it rolls augments.

Qu Hau Spring:
    Trading any of the following gear+item to the Qu Hau Spring in Ro'Maeve will reroll the augments on the gear. (technically, it removes it from your inventory and gives you a new one, which subsequently rerolls)

Black Belt + one of Wyrm Beard, Adamantoise Egg, or Behemoth Tongue

Any level 75 Relic weapon + it's respective Attestation

Any level 75 completed Mythic weapon+ Either Tinnin's Fang, Sarameya's Hide, or Tyger's Tail

I would like to pick a good spot to have players able to trade any item + some random consumable that is a bit hard to get to reroll stats on it as well, but less restrictive.

Also I am debating letting you trade any piece of sky boss gear + their crest to reroll their gear at the spring as well. I think that is pretty fitting.

IE: Genbu's Shield + Genbu's crest

Kirin's gear will use any of the 4 crests.

Thats most of my big mods at the moment, I'd like to implement a lot more though! Tell me what you think.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Have you considered linking AV to Ebon Panels?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You know I was thinking about doing something silly with the Ebon Panels, cause that IS a thing I can do.

Maybe an easter egg or something like

Ebon panels.onEvent{
    If (NPC(Absolute Virtue).IsAlive)
    Message(Now is not the time to be doing this!)
    End If
    End

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

A permadeath system that encourages people to group is good. A permadeath system that just annoys the fuck out of people is bad. It is hard enough to get people to play on your server, its going to be even harder with a fucktarded idea like this one.

A more positive permadeath system would be to allow normal spell versions of raise and reraise, and a fair amount of time but not a whole hour to receive raise in, maybe 15-20 minutes. This would encourage people to play together, the penalty you suggest would create a game where people would never want to do anything because of the extreme level of risk involved. That is if anyone even starts on such a server in the first place.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Can you afk fish haks?

Here is a thought, three man group of WHM NIN THF and the thf dies and at some point pissed off the whm. What stops said whm from just letting the thf get deleted. Seems like a very bad thing to do.
    Lot of people by nature are mean and could see them standing around and watching and laughing as accounts are lost into the ether.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Get 1shot by an inevitable OHKO, character deleted.

stupid idea is stupid

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Dude... it's fucking urat, of course it's retarded.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    I am looking for some more ideas to go with the above to improve my server. You must realize that the two above are already 100% working and implemented, yeah, the server is up and running in beta phase as you read this.

So basically, I want everyone to tell me the stuff they really wish FFXI had, or ways the game was different.
    I already know some people can't handle hardcore games, but there is enough demand that I have up to 12 people on my server checking it out even though its been live for barely 24 hours, so that says to me there are people out there interested.

I don't care if you don't like hardcore.

That's not what I am here for, I am not trying to promote my server, and I don't care if you don't want to play on it, thats fine and you are entitled to your opinions, I have no issue with it.

I am here to ask for things you always wished were different in ffxi (potions stacking, maybe the way advanced jobs work, how crafting works, augments not being stupid random and actually good, etc etc)

The hardcore system is coded in, implemented, and set in stone. Softcore servers already exist, I am not interested in reinventing the wheel.

Consider it a thought expirement, to see how the game dynamic, party dynamic, and overall culture of an MMO community changes when it becomes hardcore.

As far as I am aware, this is the first time it has ever been tried in a large scale MMO, so I am curious to see what happens.

Im not trying to make money.
    Im not trying to make friends.
    Im not trying to make a fun happy go lucky time place to replace normal ffxi.

This is purely an experiment that might turn into something more.

So, to balance the hardcore aspect my goal is to make the game more user friendly. Eliminate the shit that pissed players off and ended up being useless junk.

Cut out the fat and replace it with a more concentrated hardcore game that is tough, but not non-intuitive.

Here's my thoughts on it:

I feel like being able to zombie strat, zerg, and other similiar styles the end game bosses of any MMO is just stupid and terrible game design.

Naakual's are examples of what end game bosses should be (at least they would be if SE ever got off their asses and nerfed formless strikes, which is the only reason we can really zerg most delve bosses, and also a fair number of delve NMs too)

The fights take a LONG ass time, they require high amounts of skill, and return it with high rewards. That is good!

Standing around afk for hours on end for a boss to pop, try and claim it against dozens of other players, then watch:
    A. A group of people kill it in minutes flat
    B. a group of players kill it over an entire hour, dying to it dozens of times

Is fucking bad game design.

At crit mass population of a hardcore server, people don't fucking WANT to zerg or even TRY fighting king behemoth. That shit is fucking SCARY

Which is what I want. He will just sit in the zone, chilling until some poor unwary group decides to try and fuck with him.

BUT... someone will eventually take him down. With enough people he will die eventually, sure the first 4, maybe 5 attempts he'll rip dozens of adventures to pieces and make people rage...

But now it's a real challenge, a challenge with a risk, but also rewards. One of the best rings in the game? Fuck yeah! (And maybe I have tweaked certain drop rates too so it isn't so fucking stupid trying to get certain drops... maybe )

But furthermore, the reward isn't the gear. Remember how many people talked about the first time PW was downed? That was a true triumph because it actually took skill to down him.

It will be the same. Being the first group to down nidhogg, KB, and Aspid will be a big deal.

Not JUST skill, but also because that takes balls of steel to take on. It's a HUGE fucking risk only an idiot would really do... But what's the point of having a geared up character and not taking a risk?

So, once again... It's a thought expirement.

Will people just fuck it and never touch HNMs?

Will they die a few times and rage quit and no one ever fights them again?

Or will people actually get angry at the HNMs and tackle them again with a renewed fury, doing everything they are able to in order to actually take it down?

Who knows? I sure don't, this has never been done before.

And that's the point. If you can't see that, that's your prerogative. And I'm okay with that.

But enough of this, tell me all the shit in ffxi that you found non-intuitive, that's why I am here asking this. I need to streamline the game as much as possible.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by nikia View Post
    Here is a thought, three man group of WHM NIN THF and the thf dies and at some point pissed off the whm. What stops said whm from just letting the thf get deleted. Seems like a very bad thing to do.
    Lot of people by nature are mean and could see them standing around and watching and laughing as accounts are lost into the ether.
    Raise is a very lucrative spell to get ahold of. It's worth about as much effort as half a relic weapon.

Your white mage probably won't have raise anyways.

So that answers your question.

Edit: Also, just don't die. MPKing will be completely legal to, as part of the thought expirment.

Just to see what happens. (I'm tempted to maybe try and figure out a way to signal if a player is a known MPKer. There are quite a variety of symbols that can be put beside player names that are unsuded, and I can control that.)

So I can create a GM command @Mark PlayerName MPK

And from then on the player will always walk around with a big red symbol or something beside their name, and everyone will know they MPKed someone.

Won't ban them, but good luck getting a party now. I mean then I expect groups to form of MPKers, maybe. Maybe they'll band together, form an LS or some shit. Fucked if I know.

Would be cool to see what happens. For me that is.

Once again, thought experiment. I hope I get results of some kind.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Step 1: 2box with a RDM/WHM healer
    Step 2: Run a scrip that casts Chainspell->Teleport whenever a party member's HP drops below 33%

Your system is broken.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Good luck defeating anything worthwhile 2 boxing with that? I mean you can get to level 50 but genkais are hard as fuck when you don't have a high level friend to help.

And then you get level 75 and you have this rdm bot... what are you going to? I mean all of this is assuming you got your teleport spells, which are a mountain of work on their own.

I mean oh no you can kill anything that 2 people can kill anyways, and you can sometimes save your ass by teleporting out of the zone.

If you think people would abuse this I can fix that literally right now, as I am currently in the process of patching ninja's 2 hour.

Replacing Mjin Gakure with a supped up Futae (since obviously mjin gakure is useless, more useless than usual)

New Futae:
    2 hour recast
    30 second duration
    All your nukes do double damage, consume double tools, and you basically chainspell.

Obviously different from rdm's chainspell because it has the double dmg bonus at a cost of tools. I am trying to figure out an elegant way to make sure the fast cast effect also only applies to elemental wheel spells.

Or do you think it'd be fine if the instant cast effect was fine on all jutsu, but the double damage was just ele jutsu?

Cause thats how it is right now.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My god dude, wall of fucking text...

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Are those 12 people aware that death = deleted account? Because...yeah.
    You wanted ideas and suggestions, and yet were all laughin at that one notion and your only response is "lol stfu suck less".

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

"Yo guys looking for some ideas of other things to add to my already running server"

"How about we instantly derail the whole thread and talk about a facet of your server instead of what the topic is about"

"Or we could actually talk about my question I asked?"

"Naw let's keep whining about how much we don't like a part of your server, despite the fact that is the exact oppisite of what you came here to talk about"

Once again, I don't care about your opinion on my server itself (unless you are actually playing on it and have feedback about issues on it, then for sure go ahead)

I care about your opinion on things that vanilla ffxi LACKS.

"Hey guys I made this cake, I was wondering what a good topping would be"

"I think you should use vanilla batter instead of chocolate batter"

"Well you are entitled to that opinion but that is not what I asked at all, thanks though?"

That right there is literally what all of you are doing right now, lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I really don't care what you want from posters, and I'm sure others don't either. I will still point out just how brain-dead this idea is. And this is so far away from hardcore, I'm pretty sure you don't know what a hard game is. Permadeath doesn't make the content harder, only less accessible and punishes failure to a retarded degree. You took the opposite of casual, not the opposite of easy. Those two are not the same. There are hard casual games which you can play without much investment and are still hard to actually win at, and easy non-casual games that require a lot of investment and regular maintenance but present no challenge. Yours is the latter. One could argue that your "smart augments" on every piece of gear just makes it easier to accommodate for the inaccessibility introduced by this artificial handicap.

This idea is so stupid that derailing the thread is probably the most sane thing anyone can do in here.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hardcore is literally the term for a game that has a permadeath system.

Primarily was perpetuated by Blizzard originally I believe, and then spread from their.

Particularily Diablo, which had "Hardcore character" in which your character dying deleted it, instead of giving you the option to respawn.

Devil May cry, diablo series, and quite a few more games have since added "Hardcore" to their games.

There are some that use other terms, but the most popular is "Hardcore" especially in RPGs.

Especially when it involves actual physical death of characters. Versus games like Metal Gear solid which generally refer to their "hardcore" mode as "Boss hard" (after the main antagonist "Big Boss")

In which getting discovered in the game instantly causes a game over, you aren't dying, but getting caught. But it is often still referred to as "Hardcore Mode" by players.

tl;dr: Hardcore mode =/= hard game, it literally means permadeath.

And yes it does increase difficulty in ffxi anyways, since now zombieing is not a strat, which cuts down options for tough monsters. Also you can't death warp to get home, you have to find a different way.

So now I have taken 2 tools away from players (tools that are both nonsensical, stupid in terms of an RPG, kind of broken, and also non-intuitive. Players should never be encouraged to suicide in an RPG, that is fucking stupid and bag game design)

Edit: Oh also "Ironman" is another common term for the same thing, but less popular.

Here's a list of games using "Hardcore" as the terminology for "permadeath" (most permadeath games do)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permane...ermanent_death

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Unless you have toned down mob difficulty, especially NM, nobody will ever beat them. The NMs and their TP noves were designed by SE around the fact that players can raise if they get one shotted. To have NMs at current power without raise means people will lose interest. Games like Devil May Cry have things like jumping, dodge rolls and abilities sith invincibility frames. Ffxi mobs will one shot players despite the best preparation because of how they were designed. If youre going to implement a hardcore death system, then increase potency of other healers, regens, phalanxes etc. naakuls in wildneeper rieves were designed to KO people. Its impossible to fight them low man without someone dying because there's adds and the naakual spams one hit kill moves like marine mayhem every few seconds. Plus mobs in cop still cast death or do tp moves for more than max hp.

A better solution is let raise be normally available as a spell but make it a 2 hour recast and cost 100% of a mage's MP. Let players have a 30min death warp timer but if they deathwarp they lose 5 levels. After they get deleted theyll just quit, days/weeks/months wasted.

Ffxi wasnt built for permadeath, the game favors mobs too much. Youd have to buff players and JAs and nerf NM tp move potency so bullshit one hit kill tp moves can be fairly evaded. Some mob tp moves arent avoidable and will just kill someone. Sac pulls are necessary in some zones/battles. NMs will insta-astral flow at some random HP% and do 2.5k aoe in 40' range like Kirin. No matter how "good" or well geared you are, kirin will still astral flow and get random high spike damage that one shots people unless you adjust shit. Like i said, games with legit hardcore modes give players ways to avoid bullshit deaths such that id they die, its their fault not the game's fault. Dodge rolls/invincibility frames/AI patterns. Ffxi tp moves are random unpredictable and sometimes ridiculously strong, too strong. Nobody is going to make it past level 30 unless people are partying from level 1. Puts a huge strain and responsibility on healing classes such that they control which players get deleted by choosing whether to cure them or not. Think about that.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Unless you have toned down mob difficulty, especially NM, nobody will ever beat them. The NMs and their TP noves were designed by SE around the fact that players can raise if they get one shotted. To have NMs at current power without raise means people will lose interest. Games like Devil May Cry have things like jumping, dodge rolls and abilities sith invincibility frames. Ffxi mobs will one shot players despite the best preparation because of how they were designed. If youre going to implement a hardcore death system, then increase potency of other healers, regens, phalanxes etc. naakuls in wildneeper rieves were designed to KO people. Its impossible to fight them low man without someone dying because there's adds and the naakual spams one hit kill moves like marine mayhem every few seconds. Plus mobs in cop still cast death or do tp moves for more than max hp.

A better solution is let raise be normally available as a spell but make it a 2 hour recast and cost 100% of a mage's MP. Let players have a 30min death warp timer but if they deathwarp they lose 5 levels. After they get deleted theyll just quit, days/weeks/months wasted.
    Characters are about 20-50% stronger once they take the time to roll gear with potent augments. Weapon roll up to dmg+12, delay-30some, ws dmg+15%, etc

Gear can roll up to mainstats +15, eva, acc, att, and, more importantly...

Mdef+15, meva+15, macc+15, matb+!5, etc are all capped out stats that can roll on a level 75 piece of gear.

And lv 75 gear rolls 3 augments, all of them in the 9~15 range.

Some pieces of gear will take more effort to roll a perfect best in slot set of rolls, but some are more often than pretty good most of the time.

The hardest slots are rings and earrings, they have the biggest pools of stats. They can roll almost anything.

Furthermore my current project is implementing legendary rolls, which basically means certain pieces of R/E gear dropped off certain mobs will roll stats on them outside of the normal pool of rolls for that slot.

IE I believe matb doesnt normally roll on body, but I may make Sorcerer's Coat roll matb+25~30 or some shit on it. (which is both a stat not even avialable on that slot normally, and way higher in potency than normally rolls on slots that DO roll matb)

Which means legendary rolls automatically can become way better than any normal piece of gear in the same slot, because they have access to stats not normally available.

Furthermore, I can add augments to legendary pieces that I don't have in ANY of the pools.

Maybe I'll give Carbuncle's Pole Perp cost - 1~3 (something that normally doesn't roll ANYWHERE)

In other words, sticking augments on everything has ramped the strength of every piece of gear by x2~x3

Which in turn jacks the hell up out of player strength.

A well geared pld could probably hit close to +100 mdef bonus after a shit tonne of work. It's one of the rarer rolls but it CAN go up to +!5 on I think 11 different slots? Meva the same.

+Def can also roll, and shield can roll -PDT

Rings can roll PDT/MDT, and same for neck.

So on and so forth, all in all players are MUCH stronger to match the hardcore aspect.

Which means the general progress is:

Step 1: get to 75 riding on the back of basic gear

Step 2: Craft/buy/etc a bunch of level 70+ gear that has optimal rolls (easiest route is just buy high level vanilla gear of NPCs and buy off the AH)

Step 3: Start acquiring good Rare 70+ gear until you are suited up in 15/15 actually good augmented gear.

Step 4: Start grinding out the best in slot pieces of gear. This is primarily relic armor, cursed gear, and some select other pieces of course, same as usual.

Step 5: Keep infinitly going after the same gear, hoping to get better versions. Also, lots of the best in slot gear will be able to be rerolled at Quwhatever springs in Ro'maeve so you don't need to farm it up again.

I'm working on figuring out a good consumable item for rerolling relic gear, Af gear, and cursed gear. Leaning towards making a crafting recipe of Wind crystal + abjuration = tatters (because fuck synergy)

Tatter + cursed gear = reroll.

Not sure what to consume for AF and relic though, needs to be something that works for any job, probably drops in dynamis, and would have some kind of magical power, lorewise (so ancient currency won't work)

Not sure what a good item is

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So this is a server where we'd take as long as cop era to hit 75/relic wpn and we can lose it all over one death? Do you expect anyone to ever hit 75/get a relic ? Hardcore mode should be like Sky god having 2 time there stat; Kirin dropping 1 relic or mythic wpn but being a ton stronger etc, unless I'm missing something, no one has the time to play a cop era mmo where you can lose everything over something as trivial as a dc while fighting a mob ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast