Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smn/sch lolnuke set     submit to reddit submit to twitter

smn/sch lolnuke set

Topic is in the title. I'm trying to throw together a SMN/SCH nuking set due to Nirvana having copious M.Acc on it.

The questions are..

Since i'm largely slinging tier 1 and 2, outside of macc, should i be stacking mab, int or +magic damage for the greater return on damage boost?

is the hit of -28 Magic accuracy bonus worth playing the lottery on lehbrailg +2 or using Venabulum, or because of the 255 magic accuracy would it ironically make Claustrum or Hvergelmir more appealing to finish due to their higher +magic damage?

Campaign
    BG Level

There's a handy damage calculator spreadsheet for nuke damages, can find it on Motenten's repository.
    Might not be perfectly accurate since you're SMN/SCH and will have different stats from the available jobs, but it should still be enough to give you an approximate and useful idea.
    Before using that I thought that Magic Damage would have ALWAYS won on T1-T2 spells, given the nature of how much mab does for them etc.
    Turns out I was wrong and that's not ALWAYS the case.
    Try it out! You might find some surprises.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by frodnonnag View Post
    Topic is in the title. I'm trying to throw together a SMN/SCH nuking set due to Nirvana having copious M.Acc on it.

The questions are..

Since i'm largely slinging tier 1 and 2, outside of macc, should i be stacking mab, int or +magic damage for the greater return on damage boost?

is the hit of -28 Magic accuracy bonus worth playing the lottery on lehbrailg +2 or using Venabulum, or because of the 255 magic accuracy would it ironically make Claustrum or Hvergelmir more appealing to finish due to their higher +magic damage?
    it really depends, on lower level enemies, or enemies with low INT, MAB will help you more then Mdmg or INT. on high lvl enemys or enemys with high INT Magic Damage and INT + will do alot more then MAB +, shits situational.

Hagondes hat, vanir cotehardie, otomi gloves, hagondes legs, umbani boots are excellent pieces (if you want to avoid going random augmentation with all hagondes pieces)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I know there are improvements, but this is what I currently use

Code:
    sets['EleMagic'] = 
    	{
    		head="Buremte Hat",
    		neck="Eddy Necklace",
    		ear1="Crematio Earring",
    		ear2="Hecate's Earring",
    		body="Hagondes Coat +1",
    		hands="Otomi Gloves",
    		ring2="Sangoma Ring",
    		waist="Sekhmet Corset",
    		legs="Hagondes Pants",
    		feet="Umbani Boots"
    	}
    Legs have MAB+22, body has pet stats

Edit: My understanding is that Claustrum/Hvergelmir will win for T1/2 nukes SMN/SCH. I believe the only thing that beats it for BLM is Mythic? Not positive though

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by geno3302 View Post
    I know there are improvements, but this is what I currently use

Code:
    sets['EleMagic'] = 
    	{
    		head="Buremte Hat",
    		neck="Eddy Necklace",
    		ear1="Crematio Earring",
    		ear2="Hecate's Earring",
    		body="Hagondes Coat +1",
    		hands="Otomi Gloves",
    		ring2="Sangoma Ring",
    		waist="Sekhmet Corset",
    		legs="Hagondes Pants",
    		feet="Umbani Boots"
    	}
    Legs have MAB+22, body has pet stats

Edit: My understanding is that Claustrum/Hvergelmir will win for T1/2 nukes SMN/SCH. I believe the only thing that beats it for BLM is Mythic? Not positive though
    in raw damage clausturm/hvergelmir will win for t1/t2 nukes due to higher magic damage, but nirvana has the positive side offect of -avatar perp cost, where nukes wont hurt your MP pool much IF you have an avatar out. BLM Mythic is on a total dfferent astral plane, the only other staff that will surpass it is tuspimati with AM2 (which is realistic considering sch have their own regain spell, i use AM2 on delve 2.0 runs while locking tupsi in the weapon slot).

depending on enemy hagondes hat will most likely win in alot of cases against buremte hat with +20 or more MAB on it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Oh I agree Nirvana is overall a better choice, especially since you can keep your TP to trigger aftermath or for Myrkr if you manage to run out of MP with all the sources of refresh out there.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

Main="Lehbrailg +2", -- INT+5, 29 MAB augment (202 magic dmg and 51 Mab, 17 INT)
    Sub="Zuuxowu Grip",
    Ammo="Seriphcaller",
    head="Hagondes Hat +1",
    neck="Eddy Necklace",
    ear1="Crematio Earring",
    ear2="Friomisi Earring",
    body="Hagondes Coat +1",
    hands="Hagondes Cuffs +1",
    ring1="Strendu Ring",
    ring2="Acumen Ring",
    waist="Elemental Obi", --(most Delve NMs I use ifrit, and so have firestorm/klima up).
    legs="Hagondes Pants +1",
    feet="Umbani Boots"
    }

This is my nuking set for SMN. Although anecdotal, in Delve II I had issues with resists frequently until I +1'd my hagondes pieces. Now, the fracture bosses are really the only monsters I see them with any frequency. Main job is BLM so it wasn't out of my way (although it was costly) to play augment roulette until I got 25+ Mab on each piece. If you have a competent BRD with a Ghorn keeping 3 ballads up, you should be able to spam BPs on cooldown and Fire II spam in between and not have issues. If you play other mage jobs, I would definitely recommend augmenting a Lehbrailg +2 with Mab. Although not a mythic, with a good augment it sure comes close and is great to have for pretty much all jobs that can equip it save maybe brd.

I rarely have TP as SMN anyway and I don't notice any issues from the temp increase in perp cost while I'm change weapons. I don't have a Nirvana (JSE for perp and Tumafyrig for BPs), however, so I can't say how much that would change anything.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

avoid augmenting skirmish gear shouldnt be path people suggest, you either want to be optimal or youre ok with settling for less than. you can have more than one of each if your reason is you have a good augment for another use on it already too guys

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In the same vein as Frod's question:

As Damane pointed out for higher tier mobs, Magic damage+ and Int give better returns. Having said that, for Otomi gloves and the new augment system, what is better? 8 Int or 4 magic damage? My gut's leaning to the 8 int but what the fuck do I know.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Indalecia View Post
    In the same vein as Frod's question:

As Damane pointed out for higher tier mobs, Magic damage+ and Int give better returns. Having said that, for Otomi gloves and the new augment system, what is better? 8 Int or 4 magic damage? My gut's leaning to the 8 int but what the fuck do I know.
    at this point i feel like investing in a TP set and a proper MAB + etc set for magical WS is more beneficial ¬.¬, the update has thrown nukers out the window. not like we were on top of Melees DDs before (we were catching up a bit) but at this point its pointless, if you want magical dmg it would be more well served to bring Melee-jobs that have access to strong magical WSs then bringing a nuker or just do SCs.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Er...I'm just trying to raise my damage a bit more while on SMN. Improving what I got to the best that I can. W/o switching to hrevg or Claus and losing what tp I have on Nirvana for AM.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Indalecia View Post
    Er...I'm just trying to raise my damage a bit more while on SMN. Improving what I got to the best that I can. W/o switching to hrevg or Claus and losing what tp I have on Nirvana for AM.
    i understand that, but honestly, while i love the new melee toys this update has thrown at us, I am overall disgusted by the imbalance it has caused. this 1 update has annihilated all of the progress the Dev team has made from adoulin launch last year to today in terms of balance and has thrown all pet job/nukers/mages/enmity (not like enmity ever worked properly for tanks) back into the trash-can.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Other than Leaden Salute, the only super high damage numbers for magical WSs are coming from mages.

Melees won't be able to put out damage like that because they can't get 300 MAB, and their WSs (barring Leaden Salute, it looks like), aren't as powerful as stuff like Cataclysm and Vidohunir.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Other than Leaden Salute, the only super high damage numbers for magical WSs are coming from mages.

Melees won't be able to put out damage like that because they can't get 300 MAB, and their WSs (barring Leaden Salute, it looks like), aren't as powerful as stuff like Cataclysm and Vidohunir.
    last i checked SC are now unresisted and deal elemental damage no? and if you have a choice between a melee COR that spams laeden/wildfire vs a mage, the cor will be by far the better choice. while SCs dmg is dependendant on the WS dmg, there is are allready good/decent alternatives magical WSs for melees.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Skillchain damage is based off of of the physical damage. If the monster resists physical damage to crap (aka, when magic damage is needed), then the skillchain will do crap damage as well.

Rings! Fenrir +1 x2, Shiva +1 x2, other or both?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by frodnonnag View Post
    Rings! Fenrir +1 x2, Shiva +1 x2, other or both?
    for high tier nukes shiva +1, for t1 and t2, depends on target, for targets where you cap INT fenrir +1, for targets you dont both seem equally powerfull.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Shiva +1 should beat Fenrir +1 soundly if you're not capped on INT.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Only T1 have int caps now and it's high enough you probably wont hit it in post soa content... and the lowest non 0 M value is 1 so if you are not capped the 9 int will be worth at least 9 magic dmg and they have the same mab...

So pretty clear cut that shiva will win no matter what in non capped situations. Heck shiva even wins on macc for nukes