Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    A sock asking me who I work for? Hilarious. As for the parts that actually matter, I work with both internal and external distribution, the latter involving practically every major player you can name, such as Akamai and Amazon CDNs.

When it comes to how they've demonstrated that you're not exactly the brightest bulb in the box, there's Tidane's beautiful sarcasm—truthfully, painting Aikar as an unquestionable do-gooder was a stroke of genius—but then there's dlsmd outright telling you the sorts of things that FFEvo hosts and serves, and what kind of plans would accommodate for that. Your responding by saying "it's just forums" demonstrates that you don't know dick.
    thanks
    and i dont know every thing he is hosting eather

Quote Originally Posted by Lolwutt View Post
    My question, to all of the people whining: How much of the $2k/year are you personally responsible for? It's a donation, not a fee. I've probably donated over $500 to ffevo since I joined the community. I don't believe that hosting costs the entirety of the money raised for it, nor would I be terribly surprised if it cost less than 25%. It doesn't change my motivation to donate: RZN has put a significant amount of time into establishing both FFACE and the community/website. If you want to calculate the hours he's spent on it, less what hosting actually cost him, I would be shocked if he even came out with minimum wage for his efforts. Fortunately, none of this really matters, because if you disagree you have an easy option: Don't donate. You can still get your FFACE fix every month if you ignore the little donation panel. You don't even have to come back to the site until next time a structure shifts.

None of this makes w1z's new bot any less terrible, his DDoSing more ethical, or Ashita a less capable program. Just a whole lot of jealous whining.
    here here

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by stealinghostingmoney View Post
    You choose, it's the same result.
    What? That doesn't even make any sense.

$2,000 a year for a site engaging in an even minimal amount of data distribution is disgustingly small. Shit, BG is "just a forum," and $2,000 wouldn't cover its costs. However, even if FFEvo literally was a Geocities fan page from the '90s with animated GIFs and fan fiction, it wouldn't matter. If people donate, and the site usually stays up, and explanations are offered whenever it can't, then good job, everyone!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

am i the only one sitting here thinking, "i've been around ffxi for this long and have never heard of this w1z guy"

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

My only complaint with the donation system is that it doesn't clearly explain the division of labor or cost of hosting.
    That's exactly it. Atomos is too nice to say anything, but fface is pretty much irrelevant and atomos updates it as much as rzn does anyways. Just change the donation thing to say "donate to rzn and atomos" instead of pretending it is for hosting, and give the guy doing the actual work his cut.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    am i the only one sitting here thinking, "i've been around ffxi for this long and have never heard of this w1z guy"
    You missed out then.

More than once, in fact.

w1z had a bot and had people buy a lifetime account then he would say he is droping the bot with no updates and then a month or 2 later opening another bot(tho the same bot) under another name recharging people to use it again

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Man, now I'm reading through those threads again.

So good.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

RZN can't take a donation for the work he does at ffevo because that would be directly profiting off FFXI and might invite legal action. This way he's gaining money, but not overtly for FFXI 3P activity. It's an implied non-profit, even if he's profiting off it.

Whether he deserves to pocket all the profit for the content on his site (be it well-intentioned donations designed to keep the site open or informed-gratitude donations) is another question entirely, considering that he hasn't made the vast majority of it and keeps what little of it he has made closed source. I mean, who really gives a shit about FFace with Windower v4 and Ashita out? You can do most/all of the same shit more elegantly using their APIs. His most interesting coding contribution to the website right now is the environment decoder, and it's closed source.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

stealinghostingmoney. Lol dat name. Man when did this become a drama thread? Here I was only coming in to check about ffevo being down and I find out I miss some delicious drama...

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    stealinghostingmoney. Lol dat name. Man when did this become a drama thread? Here I was only coming in to check about ffevo being down and I find out I miss some delicious drama...
    It's true that I may have scared them off, but I could be wrong. Perhaps they're just chargin' their lazer.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

So you do not endorse the site? The 2 grand a year donations target always stated "6 months server hosting target $1000", and we all know now that is rubbish, impossible a site that is on a $166 per month hosting plan is being ddosed by someone who by your own words is not making good sales. RZN is obviously on the take, pocketing $1900 a year which is supposed to be for hosting and paying an $8 per month hosting plan, otherwise explain to us how the site has been ddosed by a mere noob who steals people's work?
    Want my paypal statements to prove I get nothing from FFEvo? Endorsing the site because my personal content that I post on it is there vs. obtaining monetary value from it are two different things. I do not ask for any of the cut from RZN, nor have I ever asked for any. If he decides to give me some, then that is ultimately up to him. Either way, if you have a problem with how the money is spent / handled, contact RZN. Bitching about it like a 12 year old on this forum is doing you no good as RZN doesn't waste his time on here.

So you do not endorse the site? The 2 grand a year donations target always stated "6 months server hosting target $1000", and we all know now that is rubbish, impossible a site that is on a $166 per month hosting plan is being ddosed by someone who by your own words is not making good sales. RZN is obviously on the take, pocketing $1900 a year which is supposed to be for hosting and paying an $8 per month hosting plan, otherwise explain to us how the site has been ddosed by a mere noob who steals people's work?
    Ok bad choice of words, ddosing isn't hard to do but having enough bots on your botnet to take down a 2 grand a year hosting plan would probably require at least 10Gbps of flooding which would require thousands of bots, that's neither cheap or easy to do. And no, a noob could not take down Microsoft let's not be silly here, that would take alot more than 10Gbps, I'd say it would take thousands of Gbps to take them down, for a VERY short time. Let's note that ffevo has been down for 24 hours, whether you believe it or not there is no way that hosting plan is more than 8-15$ per month so let's say $200 per year tops, so RZN has falsely advertised that the money was only for server hosts, and atomos has the audacity to talk about the other fucktard known as wiz or whatever he is called when he himself is ok with endorsing a site that takes 2 grand a year from it's user base under false pretenses! I would rather him just say "I wanna get fucking paid" than bullshit, and then the site goes down at the drop of a hat. So what are his users paying for exactly? call wiz a thief, Ashita users who donate must all be stupid or something, RZN is also a thief, he's just a sneaky thief claiming donations for his pocket and calling it something else lol.
    I'd suggest looking into what FFEvo is more than just what you want to assume from face value. It is not just 1 single server hosting a simple website.
    There is a lot more than that.

I have the "audacity" to talk about wiz all I want because I have dealt with him first hand multiple times. Not to mention the pending FBI case against him for his previous attacks on a personal site of mine. Again you are just assuming shit all you want because of what? you being butthurt that others are making more money than you? But again, I will state, I do not make any money from FFEvo. RZN handles all the money that goes to the site. I do not see a penny of it. Hence the reason I have a donation button in my signature on the forums.

Get mad much. It's pretty obvious who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercilessturtle View Post
    The domain resolves just fine, cut the bullshit. DDoS protection is trivial and free, and hosting ffevo should cost virtually nothing. RZN made it clear he was a scammer a long time ago (does nobody remember the fface ad horseshit?), he's always pretended hosting cost 20x what is really does.

atom0s: why is ashita involved with ffevo/rzn anyways? Didn't you have to toss all his code because it was crap? Why not register a domain and move ashita to its own server?
    Ashita is the original work of RZN. I became a developer of it after I came back to FFXI for a short stint. It is technically his, not mine to just take over and do whatever I want with. Yes, I did rewrite Ashita v2 to be a more solid base, but the name and original case base is his. RZN has been a friend of mine for years. Regardless of whatever bullshit is said about him, he is a very nice person and a chill guy. Because someone wants to make some money on something he offers for FREE, everyone is up in arms screaming "OMG HE LIES / OMG HES A SCAMMER / OMG HES EXPECTING XXX AMOUNT OF MONEY". Guess what? It's a donation. DONATION. Which means you are not required to do so. Don't like what he requests? Don't donate then. Simple as that.

Fact: ffevo should not be down now for the 2 grand it has taken from it's users for "server costs". Done.
    Parts of FFEvo are already back online, again if you actually checked you'd know this. RZN is keeping the rest down on purpose to not deal with the stupid drama kids like yourself create.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    So RZN developers some utility to help people cheat at a game then asks for donations for hosting. Apparently his hosting should only cost $200 a year, based on some sock named "stealinghostingmoney" who totally isn't involved in any of this other than by stumbling across this thread. So RZN is making a cool $1800 a year scamming people by having a donations link on his webpage that is totally for server costs and not at all as a way of saying "thanks for developing this thing that helps me cheat at his game that no one should be playing anyway".

RZN put some bullshit donation popups whenever you loaded something that used FFACE. What a fucking lowlife. That is unacceptable and I should be able to cheat in piece without having to worry about closing popups. He even disabled features? What a fucking joker. At least when Aikar, Respected and Trusted Developer for the Great White Windower, Paragon of Purity and Excellence, One Who Would Never Have Private Plugins that Did Shady Shit, asked for donations on his Spellcast page I didn't have to suffer through actually seeing it except when I had to go to the webpage to figure out the mess of XML that they had developed. I hope to god whoever this DDoSer his keeps it up until RZN has to pay for the, based on my reading of this thread, completely free and super simple DDoS mitigation. Why the fuck does anyone get DDoSed? Can't believe these companies wouldn't just all opt-in to this awesome free feature.

$1800 a year to deal with some whiny, self-entitled brats who complain every time an update breaks their farmbot or make-me-run-faster or whatever the fuck. The Windower developers are getting fucked on this deal. Looks like they're dealing with all those self-entitled knobs for free.
    Sarcasm aside, lets put some facts on the table for those reading this thread and are probably lost:
    - FFACE has always been free.
    - FFACE had some features that went donation required to use.
    - Due to Aikar thinking he runs the third-party community and banning FFACE and its programs from Windower forums, RZN removed these features altogether.
    - FFACE is entirely 100% free, no donations required again as of that happening.

I was responding to the post directly above mine, that being the one by rate. I don't believe you did anything wrong.

Also, this evidently exploded while I was away. Well, time to look into some clean-up.
    Sorry for the confusion. I jumped to the assumption you were mad at me for something.

Quote Originally Posted by dlsmd View Post
    you do not realize how much is kept on ffevo's server

every app ever created and shared on the ffevo forums (at lest the latest versions that the dev did not remove)
    Ashista
    an irc server
    a code data base(for ashita)
    i privet wiki for Ashista
    code that each coder has allowed ffevo to hold incase of the devs comp damage
    elitemmo and all there code info
    etc.(things i dont know about)
    Uhm, please don't jump to assumptions on what is hosted by FFEvo, cause some of what you said is not correct.
    EliteMMO is not hosted by FFEvo and does not have any connections to.

The only ties EliteMMO has to FFEvo currently are that the IRC channel for EliteMMO is on the FFEvo IRC server.

As for what is hosted on by FFEvo, there is:
    - The main website / forums.
    - The IRC server(s) (yes there is more than one! omg!)
    - The IRC services.
    - The database backend systems.
    - Several wikis for various things.
    - A svn server.
    - A git server.
    - A gitlab backend.
    - And a lot more that is not to be disucssed publicly.

And again, this is not at all done by a single server. FFEvo is setup with multiple servers. But again, everyone in this thread jumps to conclusions assuming its some shitty 1and1 hosting solution that is $5 a month for some shit web server. That is not at all the case.

My question, to all of the people whining: How much of the $2k/year are you personally responsible for? It's a donation, not a fee. I've probably donated over $500 to ffevo since I joined the community. I don't believe that hosting costs the entirety of the money raised for it, nor would I be terribly surprised if it cost less than 25%. It doesn't change my motivation to donate: RZN has put a significant amount of time into establishing both FFACE/Ashita and the community/website. If you want to calculate the hours he's spent on it, less what hosting actually cost him, I would be shocked if he even came out with minimum wage for his efforts. Fortunately, none of this really matters, because if you disagree you have an easy option: Don't donate. You can still get your FFACE fix every month if you ignore the little donation panel. You don't even have to come back to the site until next time a structure shifts.

The only people who've got any realistic basis for complaint are those who have donated under the impression that the money was going solely to servers. If you don't fall in that category, you're either jealous that he's making what you perceive to be a lot of money(it's not) or upset that the site is down when you want it.

My only complaint with the donation system is that it doesn't clearly explain the division of labor or cost of hosting. I would be fully in favor of a change that allowed the main panel to direct donations to your choice of atom0s/RZN/hosting with an accurate hosting cost.. atom0s seems to be mostly overlooked, when he does a ton of work adding to and maintaining Ashita, answering everyone's questions(even the obvious ones that are all over the site) in the channel, and has even stepped in for FFACE updates when RZN is busy or unavailable.

None of this makes w1z's new bot any less terrible, his DDoSing more ethical, or Ashita a less capable program. Just a whole lot of jealous whining.
    <3 you Lolwutt haha. And yes, I get nothing from FFEvo's donations. I don't feel like I'm overlooked. I stepped in and offered to do it for free.
    Getting personal donations is a nice thing when they come every so often, but it's not like I expect them.

I just do what I do for FFXI because I enjoy it.

You missed a lot of good drama hun. I suggest googling for the lawls.

That's exactly it. Atomos is too nice to say anything, but fface is pretty much irrelevant and atomos updates it as much as rzn does anyways. Just change the donation thing to say "donate to rzn and atomos" instead of pretending it is for hosting, and give the guy doing the actual work his cut.
    Not sure how many times I need to say this in this thread, I DO NOT GET A SINGLE PENNY DONATED TO FFEVO. Regardless of me 'being too nice' or not, I do not ask for anything from RZN nor have I ever. Either way, I have never been given a single cent donated to FFEvo. EVER.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Whoa now, my friend. I understand your wanting to respond to everything, and you sure did, but don't be too hard on dlsmd. It was good of you to correct them (and me, by extension—I admittedly did not know what FFEvo hosted), but they were arguing in your favor, not against. He was also the individual who stated that FFEvo couldn't have a small web hosting plan, which I too understand, since I work with ridiculous amounts of data transfer myself.

I remember that you publicly returned to the community while stating that your time away had helped you improve as a person, and I don't think you need to let someone like this get under your skin.

I mean, I enjoy laughing at them and all, but you really shouldn't let them.

Quote Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
    Uhm, please don't jump to assumptions on what is hosted by FFEvo, cause some of what you said is not correct.
    EliteMMO is not hosted by FFEvo and does not have any connections to.

The only ties EliteMMO has to FFEvo currently are that the IRC channel for EliteMMO is on the FFEvo IRC server.

As for what is hosted on by FFEvo, there is:
    - The main website / forums.
    - The IRC server(s) (yes there is more than one! omg!)
    - The IRC services.
    - The database backend systems.
    - Several wikis for various things.
    - A svn server.
    - A git server.
    - A gitlab backend.
    - And a lot more that is not to be disucssed publicly.

And again, this is not at all done by a single server. FFEvo is setup with multiple servers. But again, everyone in this thread jumps to conclusions assuming its some shitty 1and1 hosting solution that is $5 a month for some shit web server. That is not at all the case.
    i stand corrected

i made an assumption because it seemed like ffevo and elitemmonetwork went down at the same time
    but my statement is still valid for the fact that the hosting that rzn is paying for is not cheap

you know what thay say when you assume something

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Not sure how many times I need to say this in this thread, I DO NOT GET A SINGLE PENNY DONATED TO FFEVO.
    Zero times, because nobody suggested you did. In fact, you just replied to me repeating that you not getting a penny is the problem. Fface is irrelevant, ffevo's miniscule traffic is almost entirely for ashita. But rzn pockets the money while you get nothing.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Whoa now, my friend. I understand your wanting to respond to everything, and you sure did, but don't be too hard on dlsmd. It was good of you to correct them (and me, by extension—I admittedly did not know what FFEvo hosted), but they were arguing in your favor, not against. He was also the individual who stated that FFEvo couldn't have a small web hosting plan, which I too understand, since I work with ridiculous amounts of data transfer myself.

I remember that you publicly returned to the community while stating that your time away had helped you improve as a person, and I don't think you need to let someone like this get under your skin.

I mean, I enjoy laughing at them and all, but you really shouldn't let them.
    Wasn't meant to be harsh towards him, kinda got cluttered into the drama of the rest of the responses. Sorry for that. My time away from FFXI in the past was mostly because I can't stand the game or the community around it anymore. I came back when I saw RZN had started his own windowing hook and was interested in just helping out. Which lead to me becoming the lead developer of Ashita.

And no worries, the responses here don't get under my skin. I take the words of anyone from this site as a grain of salt to be honest, I don't really look at BG being much more than a drama fest in most cases.
    Granted, things are much better than they were years ago when every other post was nothing but trolling / flaming.

Either way, I just responded to everything in RZN's defense since I know he doesn't bother with this site at all. Just correcting the children that want to talk shit with no facts.

Quote Originally Posted by dlsmd View Post
    i stand corrected

i made an assumption because it seemed like ffevo and elitemmonetwork went down at the same time
    but my statement is still valid for the fact that the hosting that rzn is paying for is not cheap

you know what thay say when you assume something
    I did not mean for it to sound harsh or attacking toward you dlsmd, was just correcting you. Kinda got caught up with replying to everyone lol. Sorry for that.

Zero times, because nobody suggested you did. In fact, you just replied to me repeating that you not getting a penny is the problem. Fface is irrelevant, ffevo's miniscule traffic is almost entirely for ashita. But rzn pockets the money while you get nothing.
    Not really. FFEvo's main traffic amount for the forums is from FFACE and the countless third-party tools posted on the site that use it. Ashita has certainly gained a share in the traffic but it is definitely not #1 when it comes to the forums. FFACE is a fairly popular module alone with the tools that use it. The traffic on the site is fairly intensive as-is and during maintenance times on the game when things break, its even worse.

I did not mean for it to sound harsh or attacking toward you dlsmd, was just correcting you. Kinda got caught up with replying to everyone lol. Sorry for that.
    i did not take it like that so no worries

also my post that you quoted was some guesses and some known facts

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sock is gone. If people want to call others out do it, but don't fucking hide while you're doing it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Who was the sock?

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Sock is gone. If people want to call others out do it, but don't fucking hide while you're doing it.
    good

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    Who was the sock?
    stealinghostingmoney

im not saying this is a fact but it could have been w1z

sock = Internet Sockpuppet
    info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I mean, was it someone who was already a forum member?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast