FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

That episode made me feel so bad for that man. All that work and luck for that ending....ouch.

Banned.

BG Level

couldn't help myself and went to the wiki page for the book to see what happens. plot developments seem ok but nothing mindblowing where I'd see the show after reading the book. they made quite a few changes to the characters and plot on the show so maybe
    Spoiler: show
    we'll see some awesome demonlords or something.

oh yeah and
    charles wayne is a pedo and his hugs are lies

Alarial

Still with this show, but it's starting to annoy me more and more. It's following the "lost" script in that it just makes more questions each episode, and it doesn't look like it really plans to answer any of them (or to leave a substantial amount of them unanswered).

Also, what the fuck was up with the truck load of dead bodies in the road?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i dont think those were dead bodies i think those were lifelike dolls people bought of their loved ones that disappeared so they had something to bury.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Four episodes in and the Guilty Remnant is really beginning to irritate me, both because of how they act, and because we still have basically no idea what they're about or why they're doing what they're doing (mass breaking and entering to steal everyone's family photos? what the fuck?).

The acting is great but if we don't start getting some answers, or at least make some progress towards some answers, I'll probably dump this show.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Its gone downhill after episode 1, but I'll keep watching for a couple more weeks.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

I'm keeping on with it just cuz I trust HBO.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I'm keeping on with it just cuz I trust HBO.
    Yeah, I'm interested but not sucked in yet. There's only 10 episodes, so we're almost halfway through, and it's not like there's a lot of good TV coming on between now and the time this wraps up, anyway. I'm sure I'll stick with for a full season, when I drop a show it's normally between seasons.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

last night's intro was crazy but this show really needs to get its shit together.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

So the truck crash from last episode was probably full of Guilty Remnant people that government agency cleared out from somewhere?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Swear to god 10+ years later and Liv Tyler still has the most breathless voice ever.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's a very intriguing story. Episode 5 is especially nuts if you sit down to think about it.

Episode 5 spoilers:

This police chief is pretty much rendered useless in the eyes of the townfolk. This woman is literally murdered by a masked group of people who no doubt live in the town -- he tries to investigate but it goes absolutely no where. Why? Because everyone is a potential suspect. The townfolk hate the Guilty Remnant already because it's the group to hate because they keep bring back feelings of despair in this post-Rapture world. A guy whispers to him to "not investigate too hard". He tries to cope with dealing with a pastor who lost his church to the Guilty Remnant group, but poses as a "friend." He also has to deal with the feds who are sending teams into cities and towns to eliminate these groups and send them to the incinerator, all the while knowing his [ex]wife is part of said group now.

You see the culmination of his despair as he finally cracks gets stupid drunk, and almost beats up the owner of the dry cleaner store just to get his 8 shirts back. His only solace is that he's finally reconnected with his daughter since his wife broke the happy family up and left to join GR.

Me and my Girlfriend's theories on the show:

I think after sitting down and watching this episode and having a chat with my girlfriend about it, this show will only remain interesting to those who are religious in some aspect or at least can sympathize with a religious person or group.

The Guilty Remnant exists solely to have people remember what happened before and right after the Rapture, then make them question why they themselves were not Raptured as well, then finally atone. This means in all respects they should be focusing on themselves instead of worrying about the world around them, to achieve this state of mind. Everything that happens with them leans to this respect, especially when it comes to discussing those who had been Raptured (EX: GR coming out with "STOP WASTING YOUR BREATH" signs, Laurie blowing the whistle at the pastor, them going into people's houses and stealing pictures of people who had been raptured already). Those who had been taken away are in "a better place now", they don't need to be worried about or discussed on, it's time to worry about themselves, as it would be. This of course brings on a very interesting dynamic, as GR wishes to change the status quo, people who either want to forget that this event happened, or somehow try and justify why it wasn't religious or aliens, or whatever else they can think of. This in term obviously leads to violence against a very apparent non-violent group because of human nature.

It's a very thought provoking story if you sit down and give it some good reasoning. However, it's not going to be a show for the non-religiously inclined for sure.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Skipped the thread to avoid spoilers, but I watched episode one and got kind of a meh feeling. Interested enough to watch one more but curious what y'all think that have watched all of them.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I really liked the first one. I've found other shows, such as the Strain, to be much better as this season has progressed. I'll give it another 1-2 episodes. I don't see how HBO can renew this beyond 1 more season.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think the premise is a little shaky, but the drama is definitely there. Episode 9 or 10 will be a deal breaker.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    I really liked the first one. I've found other shows, such as the Strain, to be much better as this season has progressed. I'll give it another 1-2 episodes. I don't see how HBO can renew this beyond 1 more season.
    hoping since it is based on 1 singular book that this is something they can wrap quickly within 2 seasons

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    hoping since it is based on 1 singular book that this is something they can wrap quickly within 2 seasons
    I think this has the potential for more ongoing stories if they can keep the same writer(s). I don't know that the setup innately forces itself into story corners the way Under the Dome (or Heroes) did. That being said, if it tells a solid story and only lasts a season (or two), I'm fine with that as well.

I really enjoyed last night's episode. That first scene was one of the most brutal I've seen on TV in a long time. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode, which from the preview would seem to be a single character arc again.

The whole Cult of Wayne storyline seems like it should be an entirely separate show. Nothing in that storyline seems to have anything to do with the main plot, tangentially tied through a couple of phone calls. I feel like it will tie back in at some point, I just haven't figured out how. Half-way through the season now, I would hope it starts making sense before too long.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Caught up with the eps tonight on HBO Go. I liked the "is he going crazy or not?" subplot they had going on with the cop guy, a shame they wrapped it up so quickly. Also, the daughter's best friend is hot. I'll probably at least finish the season to see where it goes.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Caught up with the eps tonight on HBO Go. I liked the "is he going crazy or not?" subplot they had going on with the cop guy, a shame they wrapped it up so quickly.
    I don't think they've wrapped it up. In the last episode I think they were playing into it with his missing shirts.