+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

The point of the GR is exactly what you said, they don't want people to move on. They don't think anyone should go back to business as usual after 2% or w/e of the population disappeared. Its the same reason Jill showed up at the GR house at the end of episode 8. She can't deal with the fact that people are getting over/moving on after such a crazy event.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't get how the town chief of police, who has supposedly been good friends with the preacher for a few years, had no idea that Nora Durst (who has become infamous due to her whole family disappearing) was his sister?

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Did he ever say he didn't know they were siblings? They could have just never been introduced. Besides it seems Matt was better friends with Kevin's dad. Unless that's who you were referring to when you said chief of police

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Nah I meant Kevin. I'm guessing it is a case of them never having been introduced, but does seem a little contrived. Kevin has supposedly been friends with the preacher for years (at least three, it would seem, from his appearance at his dad's party), and he doesn't meet Nora until episode 2 I think? When they were at some school function. Despite her being the sister of his friend...she would also be a pretty well known public figure in the town, and yet he doesn't make the connection? It would seem even Laurie didn't know about it,, as when she showed up at the preacher's house in that one episode and Nora was there, Matt introduced them to each other.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Nah you make a good point, especially since the show sort of gives the small town everyone knows everyone vibe. I guess I choose to believe that they all knew of each other and prob even know each other by site but have just never been properly introduced.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    The point of the GR is exactly what you said, they don't want people to move on.
    But they came out to protest Hero's Day which was... a memorial day for the suddenly departed. I don't get why they protested a day that people specifically weren't moving on. Seems contradictory to their mantra.

Either way, it's a dope show and I'm into it. Lots of storylines to tie up. Holy Wayne and his army of Tiger Woods babies. Kevin's dad, the former police chief, and what he did and the voices he hears. The deal with the deer and packs of wild dogs. The ATEFC guy basically saying they can just come wipe out the threat. Gladys' body intentionally being disposed of without proper investigation. That mystery dude "helping" Kevin who apparently hears the voices that Garvey Sr. hears. etc. etc. Lots to look forward to.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The Heroes' Day definitely served as a way for the community to get together to remember those lost as a way to collectively move on from something. It's a societal way to officially set aside a day to remember the departed so they can move on during the rest of the year. The Guilty Remnant showed up and said "you're wasting your breath" because they know you can never move on and truly forget the people from the Sudden Departure. The GR serve to be a constant reminder of the departure and will martyr themselves to remind their communities of it since they're so closely associated with it.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Didn't realize there was such a following for this on BG. I'm pretty hooked so I picked up the book, too. As for Kevin and Aimee in the book (not a huge spoiler):
    Spoiler: show
    they note her wearing really skimpy stuff a LOT so I'm glad they brought that to the show. They don't actually fuck in the book, but they kinda rub up against each other at one point.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Great finale I thought but:

Spoiler: show
    If that's all we get as far as the Wayne plot goes I'm gonna be pretty fucking annoyed.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That violin version of Nothing Else Matters was pretty awesome and is pretty on point for the GR as a whole. It worked perfectly.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The finale was weak. I'm really disappointed at how lawless this town is. There is just no control. Anybody can beat up anybody or shoot at people or break into houses without consequence from law enforcement. Pretty annoying actually.

I did like the fact that Patti was one of the voices and told Kevin to wake the fuck up. Something worth exploring next season.

Wayne's ending was a huge let down. That can't be the end of his story.

Nora's reaction to finding a baby on Kevin's porch seemed... odd. Like she didn't ask Kevin if he knew anything about the abandoned child on his property or anything. She just had that "can we keep her?" look as if she found a bunny in the bushes.

tl;dr - The finale was lame, but I am looking forward to next season.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Im with you. was also apparent that the finale easily could have worked as series finale had they not been renewed.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but the way I took it was, that Kevin's wish with Wayne was for his family to reunite? Before he met Wayne in the bathroom, he was telling Matt how he wished to be free from his family before the sudden departure, but now that he was "free" he was falling apart. That's what I gathered at the end (leaving the viewers with ambiguity on whether Wayne granted the wish, or it was meant to happen anyway) Seeing how Kevin + Jill were walking home (With a dog, a dog he didn't want to adopt lol) and the baby was left there, assuming Tommy would go back for it once he reunited with his mom.

I liked it a lot, it was something different. Sure it wasn't the best finale out there, but I feel like it tied all the non-supernatural ends, overall I'm satisfied and looking forward for next season.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seol View Post
    Maybe I'm overthinking it, but the way I took it was, that Kevin's wish with Wayne was for his family to reunite? Before he met Wayne in the bathroom, he was telling Matt how he wished to be free from his family before the sudden departure, but now that he was "free" he was falling apart. That's what I gathered at the end (leaving the viewers with ambiguity on whether Wayne granted the wish, or it was meant to happen anyway) Seeing how Kevin + Jill were walking home (With a dog, a dog he didn't want to adopt lol) and the baby was left there, assuming Tommy would go back for it once he reunited with his mom.

I liked it a lot, it was something different. Sure it wasn't the best finale out there, but I feel like it tied all the non-supernatural ends, overall I'm satisfied and looking forward for next season.
    To be honest, I thought the wish thing was one of the most interesting parts of the season. What would he wish for; for his family to come back together? Or to not be going crazy?

The Anti Miz

BG Level

im pretty sure he wished for his fam

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I think he did too but I'd say it's plausible he wished for his sanity. He already had Jill and Tommy who seem mean the most to him, he seemed to be moving past... wow I forgot her name, and not twenty minutes before that, he had a supremely messed up dream about talking to the apparition of a woman he just watched exsanguinate herself the night prior (who ended up that way because of another one of his crazy-time blackouts).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

My first thought was that he wished for those who disappeared to come back so things could return to normal. The people did sort of come back.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Are you guys trying to figure out the wish based on the assumption that Wayne was able to make it come true? I got the impression that the show makes it kind of clear that Wayne is just a conman that liked hugging people for their money while keeping a stable of asian girls.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Are you guys trying to figure out the wish based on the assumption that Wayne was able to make it come true? I got the impression that the show makes it kind of clear that Wayne is just a conman that liked hugging people for their money while keeping a stable of asian girls.
    I get the feeling that, through coincidence or deus ex machina (whatever you prefer to call it), the wish that Kevin placed would end up coming true, regardless if Wayne was actually the root cause. That seems to be how this creative team operates.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I get the feeling that, through coincidence or deus ex machina (whatever you prefer to call it), the wish that Kevin placed would end up coming true, regardless if Wayne was actually the root cause. That seems to be how this creative team operates.
    this is the train i'm on. Wayne is definitely a pedo/fraud but he definitely convinced garvey to wish for something, what happened next im not going to be surprised with either way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast