Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I don't think you are paying attention...lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It wasn't a dream at all, he was in the afterlife. If it was actually heaven, limbo, or something in between it has yet to be revealed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    It wasn't a dream at all, he was in the afterlife. If it was actually heaven, limbo, or something in between it has yet to be revealed.
    That's not for sure. The show seems to wants to leave explanations for most things open.

We know he survived being poisoned. We don't know he came back from the dead after facing off his adversary in another world.

He was buried. In a grave. How long did it take that kid to do it?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It wasnt a dream because that british hug guy was there, who Kevin never met.

edit: oops I forgot he met him in the bathroom of that diner. But I still dont think it was a dream.

Banned.

BG Level

Personally I believe Kevin is schizophrenic and his visions of Patti are hallucinations and his "dream" was a manifestation of his subconscious caused a near death experience from having almost been poisoned to death. None of it really happened but he'll probably be freed/"cured" now from Patti because he believes he defeated her or whatever in purgatory, but he and his father are just crazy and his wife is right

The producers themselves said that they will never provide answers and that no interpretation is right or wrong so yeah.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Still don't know how you could call that last episode filler

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Still don't know how you could call that last episode filler
    Because nothing actually happened and it doesn't move along the story. We already know Kevin is crazy and hallucinating Patti and that she tells him all kinds of things that he may or may not be able to verify with his wife later for accuracy. The entire episode was dreamworld Kevin doing the exact same thing but for an entire episode and it wasn't even happening in the real world. I want to see what happens after the poisoning, what his neighbor is going to do now that he matched Kevin's handprint to the car, where the girls are. etc. etc.
    But like I said it's my opinion, if you didn't think it was filler that's great it just means you see things differently

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i feel like that's like saying brad pitt is a filler character in fight club.. what'd it matter if he's crazy or not.

watch some anime where it's like a throw back to some irrelevant middle school prank, that's filler.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Absolutely love this show, but the last episode was filler. Entertaining, awesome filler. I agree with Viv's opinion. It didn't progress the storyline other than Kevin defeating his adversary in a unique way. There wasn't very much character development revealed either other than showing us that Kevin doesn't listen very well. He was told not to leave his room until the Senator sent for him; he left during a fire drill. He was told not to hesitate and kill Patti; he let her give a monologue.

There were some subtle reveals like Kevin's father possibly having gone thru something similar to quiet the voices in his head, and the grandpa atoning for probably trying to rape his daughter or grand daughter. Other than that, the episode was *mostly* filler, but I'm ok with that.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Yooooooo that was nuts! Wow i didn't see that coming lol

Banned.

BG Level

Meg is super cray cray. I wish they showed us what her mom was going to tell her =/

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I continue to be so impressed by this show; I'm really disappointed next week is the season finale.

Spoiler: show
    Holy shit, did not see that coming at all, even though they'd set it up perfectly. Kudos.

Theory: the plastic explosives that Meg bought for the GR were used to drain the lake somehow, and are not designed to blow up the bridge, like the show wanted us to think.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was wondering what the plastic explosives would be used for, that makes sense. It was such an elaborate set up to remove the girls from Miracle, I can't wait to see what the big plan is.

This show has been really great at portraying the GR as hateful bitter sacks of shit, I want to kill them all.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Wow, didn't see that ending coming at all. Can't fuckin wait for the finale next week.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That episode absolutely flew by for me. I knew that it was an extra 15 minutes, but when I first saw the time, it was 45 minutes in. I meant to rewatch this season before the finale, but I just didn't have time this week for it. I definitely need a rewatch of this finale though before I fully form an opinion on it.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

That was like one of the most stressful hours of television I can remember suffering through. What a season

BG Level

Ok replay is on now, so I'm going to go through it again. The storytelling this season has been top notch, but damn it requires some focus. Just trying to piece things together as a viewer feels as tricky at times as it does for some of the characters.

As for the specifics,
    Spoiler: show
    I know a lot were worried about no announcement of a 3rd season. As much as I would want one, I'm kind of ok with that being it. My first instinct was that it concluded most things and did a very very good job at it. It was a fitting finale that could serve as a series finale if they do not, ahem... go back to the well. Reuniting Matt/Mary and then everyone there felt very "final".

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

i still don't know wtf is happening

BG Level

I think I watched it 3 times, though a couple times it was more or less on the tv while I was doing things. That really was exactly what I hoped it could have been. A few good reveals, and some great reactions, and even more interesting fallout from it. I'd love to see another season, because it's been one of the best shows on tv the past few years, but I'm satisfied.

Check that. I don't usually bother with award shows, but I'll be satisfied when the Emmy noms come around and this gets 3-4 acting noms in addition to the show as a whole, whatever technical awards, and especially the music categories.

I'm BAFFLED by the ratings this season. They are basically half of last season, and I don't get it. Don't people get it? If they don't want to keep watching, fuck them. I don't care.