Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

So I can't connect to my works Internet through my laptop even though I'm hardwired. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration is the message I get. I've connected to it in the past, but it's no longer working and other people's laptops can connect just fine.

I basically remove the ethernet cable from my works PC and plug it into my Windows 8 laptop and it doesn't work. Every other ethernet line like at my girlfriends works just fine. I get the message unidentified network or something when I do it.

I've tried disabling ipv6, I've tried ipconfig release and renew, I've tried a ton of shit that I found though googling to no avail.

A side note, it's a police department network and that could have something to do with it but I don't know why others can connect no problem. They don't offer WiFi so it's my only way to access anything.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They may have reservations set up for DHCP, or they may have MAC address filtering set up. You'll probably need to talk to their IT people. If that's not an option, you might be screwed.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Damn, how come other bitches are lucky enough to connect?

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I'm really surprised your place of business is letting people not only bring in personal PCs but connect them to their network. No way no how that would go down with my company and I work IT for a retail chain.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

You could try forcing your network card to 100Mbps half or full duplex (in Properties, Advanced tab of your ethernet device there should be something like Speed and Duplex)

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I'm really surprised your place of business is letting people not only bring in personal PCs but connect them to their network. No way no how that would go down with my company and I work IT for a retail chain.
    It's a police department, I don't think they want us to be on personal devices or anything.

Try doing an ipconfig on the other people's laptops (that connect fine). Copy the IP address/subnet/gateway/dns. Then try to find an open IP address by pinging within the IP address range of the laptops.

After finding an open IP address, set up your network using the settings you copied (excpet use the open IP address you found)

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

You guys gonna get dude fired lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

My ancient laptop sometimes has problems connecting to my home network. When that happens repair doesnt work, so i just disable and reenable the internet/ethernet connection through the settings

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Try doing an ipconfig on the other people's laptops (that connect fine). Copy the IP address/subnet/gateway/dns. Then try to find an open IP address by pinging within the IP address range of the laptops.

After finding an open IP address, set up your network using the settings you copied (excpet use the open IP address you found)
    This did and didn't work, lol. I couldn't get the default gateway due to privacy before but ipconfig on one of the other computers got it. I didn't attempt finding an open IP or pinging. I disabled ipv6 and it said I had internet access, literally had it for 3 seconds if that and lost it. I got excited knowing I was close. Troubleshooted and it said couldn't get a response from DNS. Thought maybe I typed in something wrong and clicked "obtain ip automatically" in case I had one of the wrong numbers, boom, suddenly it works... which means all I've done is disabled ipv6 again... lol.

Thanks. We'll see how long this lasts.

If a police depart is letting you access their network with personal computers, the IT people need to be fired ASAP.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

freal lol, kinda what I was getting at

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

We can get on the network for charting and basic Windows operations, they have a separate network for cad and everything encrypted.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Dude, I want to know who your chief is. I have a collection of routers I've confiscated from deputies in the housing units. Last year right before Urban Shield someone brought in a virus from their own personal USB drive that converted Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents that were on network shares into screen saver extensions. Only exception we have here is that we have public wifi in certain buildings due to various vendors and contractors that come to the jail that may need internet access for their presentations as DOJ won't allow any outside devices on our network.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Our substations like I'm in are completely separate, in HQ it's locked down very tight and no personal anything is allowed, not even texting. They might have a wifi for similar but no staff is allowed to use personal devices at all.

Out here we just have a random comcast router so we can access maps and paperwork and stuff.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Seems like Boyiee is describing two different networks, which a lot of companies do with their public wi-fi. If true and configured properly, then it is no big deal. Unusual, however, that you are allowed to connect via hardline.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

open administrative command prompt

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

reboot.

try again.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Seems like Boyiee is describing two different networks, which a lot of companies do with their public wi-fi. If true and configured properly, then it is no big deal. Unusual, however, that you are allowed to connect via hardline.
    I took the cable out of one of the work PC's and plugged it into my laptop.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping this old thread. However, I'm now getting this error: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration, and can't access the Internet anyways.

What should I do now? I have tried all suggested ways above.

User was infracted for this post.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by timberty View Post
    Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping this old thread. However, I'm now getting this error: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration, and can't access the Internet anyways.

What should I do now? I have tried all suggested ways above.
    You can try by not bumping 3 year old threads.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast