• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

Arsenal (3rd team or so) playing Red Bulls, who are one of the better MLS teams, right now on ESPN2.

edit: they actually have a couple really good players in

Ridill
    BG Level

oh man I forgot all-star game is Bayern this year, that should be hilariously entertaining if Bayern starts anyone

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    So the MLS v BPL international friendly thing going on. This caught my eye over the 7-0 trouncing of Man U over LA Galaxy.

And all I have to say, really, is:

Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, I hope you enjoy the choices that you've made.
    I don't get why anyone thinks a Preseason game for a Euro club and a mid season, completely worthless game for a MLS team, means anything at all. The reason the MLS does it is to try and get new fans but it's just lose/lose for them. They play well and maybe win and people point out it's a pre-season game against backups, they get crushed and people act like that proves the MLS is complete trash. On top of that MLS players don't even want to play them because they are in the middle of the season and have meaningful games to play.

I mean, LA has 3 game in 9 days, KC, ManU and Seattle. Why would they give a shit about ManU when they are playing the two best teams in the MLS and are currently on the playoff bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Arsenal (3rd team or so) playing Red Bulls, who are one of the better MLS teams, right now on ESPN2.

edit: they actually have a couple really good players in
    Except the Red Bulls are mid table trash atm.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    They either blow it early, or blow it late. Lots of 1 point games that could have been 3 points.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Trash might have been harsh but I'm a DC United fan, so I hate them. With their talent though, they should be much better then mid table.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Somewhat on the NYRB topic: When NYCFC starts up, I'm switching allegiances. I'm one of those people that fucking HATES that teams call themselves "NY" teams when their stadiums are in NJ. I hate the Giants, I hate the Jets, and I'm going to pop off of the Red Bulls while they play in Harrison. They should be the NJ Red Bulls imo.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    I don't get why anyone thinks a Preseason game for a Euro club and a mid season, completely worthless game for a MLS team, means anything at all. The reason the MLS does it is to try and get new fans but it's just lose/lose for them. They play well and maybe win and people point out it's a pre-season game against backups, they get crushed and people act like that proves the MLS is complete trash. On top of that MLS players don't even want to play them because they are in the middle of the season and have meaningful games to play.

I mean, LA has 3 game in 9 days, KC, ManU and Seattle. Why would they give a shit about ManU when they are playing the two best teams in the MLS and are currently on the playoff bubble.
    These games are actually a REALLY big deal for the MLS as a whole. It's the eruo teams that give absolutely zero fucks.

It's a big deal to be able to say "Yeah the Red Bulls just beat Arsenal in a friendly." If it were legitimately Arsenal's first team, it would be a whole different deal, and worldwide news, for an MLS team to compete with them... but people that are just thinking about watching some soccer generally don't know any better anyway.

There's actually a really simple reason why the MLS players would give a shit: money.

The better they perform, the more people watch, the more advertisers pay attention, the more money the league has, the higher the cap can go, the more money the individuals get.

Plus, don't think for a second that European scouts aren't watching pretty damn closely to see how, for example, a guy like Dax deals with a Jack Wilshere playing box to box. (better than anyone would have expected, I'd say)

tbh I don't pay enough attention to MLS to know the standings, I just know who's on the team heh

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Somewhat on the NYRB topic: When NYCFC starts up, I'm switching allegiances. I'm one of those people that fucking HATES that teams call themselves "NY" teams when their stadiums are in NJ. I hate the Giants, I hate the Jets, and I'm going to pop off of the Red Bulls while they play in Harrison. They should be the NJ Red Bulls imo.
    They were originally called the New York / New Jersey Metrostars lol.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    They were originally called the New York / New Jersey Metrostars lol.
    Yeah I know, but that doesn't make it any better. Don't stamp NY on something if it's not NY.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Yeah I know, but that doesn't make it any better. Don't stamp NY on something if it's not NY.
    It kinda blows my mind that in most sports, Florida has more teams than New York, on the basis of a technicality.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

just noticed Liverpool's first EPL game is against Southhampton, after they just signed 3 of their players and are going after another 1-2. Gonna be awkward!

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-tax-barcelona

Lionel Messi to be prosecuted for alleged tax evasion

A Spanish court will push ahead with prosecuting the Barcelona forward Lionel Messi for alleged tax evasion despite a recommendation from the public prosecutor the charges be dismissed.

The prosecutor argued in June that Messi’s father Jorge was responsible for the family’s finances and not the four-times World Player of the Year.

However, the court in Barcelona has decided that Lionel Messi could have known about and approved the creation of a web of shell companies that were allegedly used to evade taxes due on income from image rights. The judge in the case ruled that the case against both Messis should continue.

Argentina’s Messi and his father were accused last year of defrauding the Spanish state of more than €4m (£3.1m) by filing false returns for the years 2006 to 2009. They have denied wrongdoing.

One of the world’s highest-paid athletes, Messi earns just over $40m (£23.5m) a season in salary and bonuses, according to Forbes magazine, as well as about $23m from sponsors.

The magazine has him as the fourth top-earning athlete behind the boxer Floyd Mayweather, Real Madrid footballer Cristiano Ronaldo and basketball player LeBron James.

Ridill
    BG Level

lol what a douche

Manchester United vs. Real Madrid at Michigan Stadium sets U.S. soccer attendance record

Quote Originally Posted by SBNation
    A United States record of 109,318 soccer fans in Michigan Stadium on Saturday broke a 30-year-old record while watching Manchester United defeat Real Madrid.
    Tangentially, FOX Sports asked everybody in the stadium "what that means for soccer in the US".

Because this is a question that will be asked until the end of time.

Ridill
    BG Level

It could be pretty amazing if champs league started doing some legit games over here like NFL has been doing over there.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

hahahahaahahhaha

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Mighty Everton beating that Lester ass

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Mighty Everton beating that Lester ass
    Leicester, and they showed some good hustle to earn the draw.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Fuck a Lester, how they gonna ruin my first game as a toffee like that?

Ridill
    BG Level

I tried to tell you!

Got Chelsea, Arsenal, and Man U as 3 of our next 4 games, still got time before the bandwagon gets full!