Sylph

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Brawl in the Family #600: The End

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

In the spirit of Halloween, I found this gem from my childhood. My 1st grade teacher played this for us and SCARED THE BEJESUS out of us poor six year olds.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

CNN anchors got owned

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    CNN anchors got owned
    Holy fucking shit. I've not seen a smackdown like that on TV in ages.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Holy fucking shit. I've not seen a smackdown like that on TV in ages.
    Reza don't take any shit. Have you seen the interview that catapulted that?:

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Amiricle View Post

That was painful to watch. Props to him though for not busting out laughing the entire time.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Haha, yep. I loved how they clearly had a direction they wanted to railroad him into going and he just sidestepped all their BS like a boss. The host was so flustered and had no idea where to go with it and kept trying to get him back on the course they wanted him on.

Quote Originally Posted by gt_killa View Post
    Also, didn't expect to see Maher get destroyed by Ben Affleck of all people.
    Bill Maher makes a lot of great points here and there but when he tries to discuss religion he goes full retard. Dude needs to take a chill pill.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Also, didn't expect to see Maher get destroyed by Ben Affleck of all people.
    Bill Maher makes a lot of great points here and there but when he tries to discuss religion he goes full retard. Dude needs to take a chill pill.
    Did we even watch the same video? Ben Affleck got heated and interrupted people every few seconds. If that's "destroying" someone in a debate, then I guess the guys over at Fox News are winning every single argument. It's precisely the same style.

Sam Harris brought reason and facts, and Ben wasn't hearing any of them. He couldn't acknowledge the reality for even a moment, therefore rendering his opinions null and void. You can't dismantle an interpretation of statistics if you don't first accept the stats as true.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Did we even watch the same video? Ben Affleck got heated and interrupted people every few seconds. If that's "destroying" someone in a debate, then I guess the guys over at Fox News are winning every single argument. It's precisely the same style.

Sam Harris brought reason and facts, and Ben wasn't hearing any of them. He couldn't acknowledge the reality for even a moment, therefore rendering his opinions null and void. You can't dismantle an interpretation of statistics if you don't first accept the stats as true.
    Affleck is terrible in a debate, and didn't have facts straight for sure, but Maher did and does go full retard on religion which put them on pretty even footing.

Affleck is terrible in a debate, and didn't have facts straight for sure, but Maher did and does go full retard on religion which put them on pretty even footing.
    Maher's a douchenozzle pretty frequently, I'll grant you, which is why the centerpiece for the debate should've been (and honestly is) Sam Harris. That dude's got more brains than the panel and host combined.

Edit:

Also, before anyone gets too eager to fellate Reza Aslan, they should know that he's a well-known Muslim apologist who distorts facts in the same way that Ken Ham or William Lane Craig does. Here's an excellent rebuttal written by a couple former followers of Islam; my favorite tidbit is about Turkey's history.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post

I'm not talking about some structured debate. They weren't having one.

Ben had reason and facts on his side, and frankly... much of what Sam Harris was saying had little relevance to Affleck's core argument anyway. Consider that most of what Ben is saying is that you can't go lumping all Muslims together because you have countries like Indonesia and Malaysia where the vast majority of people practice Islam and don't have these kinds of issues. Its not an issue with Islam as much as it is an issue with some of the countries in which it is practised. None of those "facts and reason" change this.

I'm not talking about some structured debate. They weren't having one.

Ben had reason and facts on his side, and frankly... much of what Sam Harris was saying had little relevance to Affleck's core argument anyway. Consider that most of what Ben is saying is that you can't go lumping all Muslims together because you have countries like Indonesia and Malaysia where the vast majority of people practice Islam and don't have these kinds of issues. Its not an issue with Islam as much as it is an issue with some of the countries in which it is practised. None of those "facts and reason" change this.
    Ben's core argument was effectively "lalala, you're a racist, no true scotsman." That's not an argument. That's hardly even better than a tone troll.

Edit:

I should further add, that it absolutely is a problem with Islam. If you bothered to read the article, you'll note that those ex-Muslims themselves realize that countries where secularism rules are progressive, and they see their societies recede into fundamentalism as Islam gains more power (Turkey/Indonesia explicitly called out). Where Shariah courts were once optional, now they're on equal footing with proper secular courts. Is a country really at fault for doing what its citizens want? And if the citizens are Muslims, and they want Shariah law, is the problem with the country allowing that to continue, or with the people who want it? Thinking this is a problem of governance and not beliefs is insane. Beliefs drive the governance.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast