Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That's a problem with religion in general, not Islam specifically, and why the separation of church & state is a big deal here.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiricle View Post
    That's a problem with religion in general, not Islam specifically, and why the separation of church & state is a big deal here.
    I can agree with that for the most part, though I think Islam makes itself more of a problem due to their complete unwillingness to allow criticism of their principles. Even without having Islam dictating law for a country, it should be troubling to us that most "moderate" Muslims think it's acceptable to punish people (severity varies) simply for drawing a picture or criticizing their religion.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ITS HAPPENED!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Consider that most of what Ben is saying is that you can't go lumping all Muslims together because you have countries like Indonesia and Malaysia where the vast majority of people practice Islam and don't have these kinds of issues.
    The argument against viewing all muslims the same is a fair point and one that Sam Harris himself makes repeatedly including in this very discussion. Harris tries to show us that religion is a problem to the extent that the foundational scriptures are taken seriously as a guide on how to live life and structure society. It's hard to argue that scripture isn't the core of monotheistic religion: what would Christianity be without the Bible; what would Islam be without the Koran, the Hadith, or its other sacred texts? All of these documents are violent and illiberal, but the religions they belong to are only considered violent religions in-so-far as they fail to interpret the texts abstractly. The Bible is a violent, illiberal document, but Christianity today is largely separated from government in the West; the US may have a large Christian majority, but it cannot rightly be called a Christian state because it has a secular government.

Achieving a split between religion and government was a hard-fought battle in the West and it is a struggle that is still ongoing in much of the muslim world. When someone like Reza Aslan talks about gender equality or liberal democracy in states like Indonesia, Malaysia, and Bangladesh he ignores some of the real problems that these countries face as a result of fundamentalist Islam.

An interesting article from the cofounders of Ex-muslims of America:
    Reza Aslan is Wrong About Islam and This is Why - Patheos Oct 2014

A quick search brings up plenty of articles on the pressures these states face from political Islam:

Malaysia
    Reuters Jul 2014
    BBC Aug 2011

Indonesia
    Spiegel Nov 2013
    Human Rights Watch Oct 2014
    Al Jazeera May 2014
    Jakarta Post Sep 2012
    NYT April 2014

Opinion Polls in the muslim world (these are particularly worrying and are likely some of the polls that Sam alludes to in the Bill Maher clip)
    Pew Global Dec 2010
    Washington Post May 2013
    Pew Research April 2013

What these articles and polls invariably show is that the less austere and the more secular a state is the more its problems with radical Islam get relegated to the fringes. Countries like Turkey and Indonesia still contend with portions of the population that believe political islam is a good thing, but of importance is the fact that these factions have less of an impact on government. What this essentially says is that the more secular a government is - the more it moves away from religious ideas - the more liberal it becomes; this is precisely what Sam Harris is trying to point out. When people like Reza Aslan say that Harris' interpretation of the Koran and Hadith is as literal as the fundamentalists and that the majority of muslims don't read them that way what he is in fact admitting is that the more moderate you are the less seriously you take your religion.

Now, to make this post relevant to this thread, here's a debate between Harris and Aslan from 2005. Harris has a much better chance to lay out his arguments here (the debaters start speaking at the 10:30 mark):

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yea, now that is a good video. Both of them are exceptional speakers, and I am a fan of both
    While I am a fan of Reza, I am not a fan of Islam (or any major organized religion for that matter). And while he does conveniently leave out and/or obscure certain facts, they do need someone like him with all the fearmongering and hatred being arrayed against them from 1st world nations due to some very extreme nutjobs. We (Canada, USA, ect.) only make things worse if we continue to make average muslims feel their way of life and culture is under attack, despised, and feared, and for this reason I am glad someone like Reza has gotten the spotlight he currently has.
    While Indonesia, Malaysia, and especially Turkey have a long ways to go yet they have been progressing in the right way, but those gains become more and more compromised when we continue to group them in the same way as the crazies Saudi Arabia, Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, etc which are still deep in the dark ages culturally, since I think we'll just cause them to circle the wagons and demand Islam gains more political power in whatever country in order to better protect their beliefs.
    Edit: I just wanted to add that Reza himself has said that he doesn't take any of the Quran literally and taken a lot of shit over his writing historical evidence disproving a number of things written in it. He only identifies as a muslim because he prefers the symbols, practices, and language of that faith in his worship of God over other equally valid faiths.

Unrelated video so as to not totally derail thread

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The shit you find on youtube at 3 in the morning.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Are you going to the Christmas party?! lol

#ownzones

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Somehow, watching dbz with the voice actors screaming instead of just the characters makes it much more enjoyable.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm sure he's glad to be rid of the "omg when's battle of the gods coming out in English" shit. Lol he was at an anime convention I went to a year ago and he got pissed when he got spammed w/ that at his Q&A

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

lmao, from twitch

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post

Good old Don.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This happened

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Boss just showed me this, very impressive.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast