Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I'm not currently doing hiit because I didn't want to dial anything back, I just know it helps with endurance and such which benefits the running aspect.

I was hoping to continue lifting with a result of doing higher pushup reps without just doing more pushup reps lol. Like, I feel like doing more pushups wasn't actually leading to being able to do more pushups, or at least as effective as something else might be such as the rows and pull downs. Currently I do Bent over rows, but I do really enjoy seated so I can easily incorporate that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Oh ok I gotcha. No you're right, it'll definitely help in that way. I just meet a lot of people either in the gym or friend circles where they're like "I work out all the time and do x hours of cardio and I'm not seeing gains!" It's like, yeah, stupid. You're burning off any chance of growth lol.

I've started incorporating a few at home lifts so I hit muscles I REALLY want to grow 2x a week. One day is in the gym for the target muscle group, but maybe 3 days later do a at-home workout. Small stuff, like take a dining chair, put it against a wall, and do tricep dips off that. Angled push ups; put your feet on the couch, hands on the floor, and go. Something as simple as a change of angle will really make a difference when you hit a wall.

Ninja Edit: 208.2lbs as of this morning. 25lbs lost! Nice little benchmark. Still far flabbier than I expected to be at this weight.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

You can try changing the rhythm too. Count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 down then up. You'll want to target muscle enderance rather than just cardio or strength.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Thinking about joining a crossfit box again. When I did the wods for 4 months a couple years ago it was the strongest I had every been in all lifts (PRs fordays) and the lowest bodyfat I had ever been ( floated between 7-9%). I think I need the competition and social motivation.

Can someone explain to me how Crossfit isn't just a recipe for injuring yourself? Every time I hear someone tell me about their experiences with it just sounds like they're trying to hurt themselves rather than make fitness gains.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It really comes down to how the box is ran in terms of safety and training. Low effort gyms that want you to pay $200 a month so you can get /really/ good at working out for an hour with zero fucks about customer injuries because they can push the group-cult Meatgrinder Mentality are unfortunately more real that people want to believe.

However you get it being ran by someone that knows their shit and strongly promotes correct form instead of WoD circlejerkerfests and you'll have a gym that sells progress, not hype and injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I think I need the competition and social motivation.
    What I like to do is when I'm bulking during fall/winter I'll put on a little extra fat on purpose, like a little bit more than normal so I just look fat. Then I'll sign up for a private beginners training session at a newer gym in the next city over. I'll pick the most LIFTBRAH looking trainer there, and I'll act like the most obnoxious, fat, and unmotivated slob he's ever seen. Basically the epitome NYRfag. I'll pretend to have trouble learning form for bars. I'll whine a lot, really put on a show.

And then, when we're establishing my maximums, I'll go all out. We'll start with the bar, add ten pounds, then ten more, then another. It keeps going until I'm benching my max of 320 and the trainer has no idea what the hell is going on. I'll do a rep and whine about how hard it is, and the trainer will be enraged that I can rep almost twice his max but has no idea how or why its possible. Makes me lol every year.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You can't fool me, that's a copypasta from fit!

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

I always pat myself on the back for knowing better than to ever give info about myself when i trip on /fit/ who knows how many anonymous people from bg are on there D:

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I stopped CrossFit last time because the coach moved to another state. He had a Oly day that focused on those lifts and 1rm on those lifts. His program was really good and rarely had over top cardio/muscle enderance days. I was in pretty good shape and he still held my back for months to make sure I wasn't injured.

He had 4-5 groups that programmed different depending on what stage they were and their goals. I'm hoping I can find something similar.

I could just keep my current workout going. I'll need some 24kg kettlebells or keep struggling with the 70s. The 16kg are just way to easy at his point. I did double kb snatch EMOM the other day and was doing sets of 10 no problem. That's about 25-30 seconds rest. Same with thrusters and overhead squats. But the 32s still kick my ass hard.

held your back for months? sounds romantic

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    held your back for months? sounds romantic
    Well he scaled everything down although I thought I could handle the RX or higher.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Crossfit isn't just a recipe for injuring yourself? Every time I hear someone tell me about their experiences with it just sounds like they're trying to hurt themselves rather than make fitness gains.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    If the video is your advise on the subject that's terrible advise.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dom isn't too far off the mark for the stereotypical box. And back in 2013 when he made that video was when a lot of the problems were coming to a head. I know for a fact the first box that came into my town was ran by a couple that had their level 2 certs and boy were they proud of that fact and how it meant they knew all the secrets to getting a ripped body and you, the customer, knew fuckall. Four months later a gung-ho dude almost literally exploded his knees trying to snatch some stupid amount of weight cuz GOTTAGOFAST WoD and had zero idea how to even do it right and the box kinda folded up shop afterwards. The newest box that's been around for a few months has decently knowledgeable staff but struggle to snag memberships because $160+/mo is still the norm and most of the market has already been absorbed by other various gyms that costs half that or less.

Now that I think on it there's only like two gyms that can really offer a good weight section in my city. The rest all consist of 90% machines and cardio with a token bench bar and the desk attendants bluescreen if you ask simple things like chalk or what types of barbells they have.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    Dom isn't too far off the mark for the stereotypical box. And back in 2013 when he made that video was when a lot of the problems were coming to a head. I know for a fact the first box that came into my town was ran by a couple that had their level 2 certs and boy were they proud of that fact and how it meant they knew all the secrets to getting a ripped body and you, the customer, knew fuckall. Four months later a gung-ho dude almost literally exploded his knees trying to snatch some stupid amount of weight cuz GOTTAGOFAST WoD and had zero idea how to even do it right and the box kinda folded up shop afterwards. The newest box that's been around for a few months has decently knowledgeable staff but struggle to snag memberships because $160+/mo is still the norm and most of the market has already been absorbed by other various gyms that costs half that or less.

Now that I think on it there's only like two gyms that can really offer a good weight section in my city. The rest all consist of 90% machines and cardio with a token bench bar and the desk attendants bluescreen if you ask simple things like chalk or what types of barbells they have.
    Wow I must have gotten lucky with my experience. I will say most of the programming was based around Oly lifts and Smolov, the cardio/amrap days were more of a CNS break and active healing than GOGOGOGO. I format most of workouts now around that. Mobility, core, heavy day, speed day.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Small accomplishment. I just started going back to the gym and getting serious about dieting again. In 2014 I made a life change and did p90x and dieted for about 6 months. Went from 225 - 187. (the lowest weight in my adult life) I stopped for whatever reason, laziness, or I was happy with what I had accomplished at that point (probably both). I maintained a weight of about 190-195 depending on fluctuation.

After starting from about a month ago, I weighed in this morning at 184. (My new low!) I was 195 about 5 weeks ago. I go 5 days a week (if I can) for about 2 hours a day after work. I don't see a whole lot of change just yet, but stuff is fitting better than ever and I feel fantastic. Yay me! Looking to get to about 175 and then depending on how I look changing my routine to what I need.

Nice move, man. Keep it up and as you accomplish your first goals (losing some more weight, feeling better and such) you will have a better idea about what route to go next. This time around try and stick to it after you have reached those first steps, you will never regret it. Slow and steady, always bettering yourself, think of it as a life plan and not just a quick fix until you let yourself go again and repeat on and off. What you do now and keep up on the long run will pay dividends up to when you get old.

"I don't see a whole lot of change just yet, but stuff is fitting better than ever and I feel fantastic."

That sure looks like a great change right there.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Eh, did Crossfit for two years; lost ~45 lbs and got pretty ripped. Box in downtown DC had some good coaches as well. The culture is ridiculous, bordering on Scientology in its zeal, but it's not all bad. A lot of the critiques are valid (kipping is bullshit, speed prioritized over form/safety, etc.), but there are worse things you can do with a spare 45 minutes.

That said, I won't do it again. Way too expensive for what it is and some of the WODs are just a wasted day imo.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Biked 50 miles this morning. I don't feel like leaving my room for the rest of the day, lol.

There are several group rides in my city throughout the week. My core Tuesday group (we usually like to go fast) also go on the Saturday fast ride, then each member does their own training or w/e.

So since everyone has 4th of July shit going on tonight, instead of our Tuesday night ride, we rode in 2 diff holiday rides this morning. We met at the 8:30am ride, rode about 80% of their ride, and changed course to intersect the 9:30 ride, found them, hit a u-turn and joined their ride. Including biking to the group and home after, it totaled to 50 miles.

I also had to catch up to a 1.5+ minute deficit after joining the second group. I had to piss pretty badly at 8:30 when we started the first ride and it's almost 10am now. We passed a porto potty so I stopped then had to haul ass to catch back up to the group

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Way too expensive for what it is and some of the WODs are just burning calories imo.
    This is my problem. I started back but some of the days are just calorie burners and are not going to improve anything I'm interested in. I don't do hero WODs but rest on Fridays and do heavy squats/bench/ohp weighted pullups on Saturday morning. Once I get an understanding on how the box is programming I'll probably add a speed/power day during the week.

Plan is to spend a couple months get my legs underneath me then smolov during the winter. Shooting for 5 plate squat while under 200lbs.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag