+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 153 FirstFirst ... 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Friend pointed out I need to work out on my outter delts and sknce then all I see is my puny delts. Any recommendations for exercises?? I really have been neglecting the outter parts.

Although I like how I look I unfortunately cant post it on social media because it looks like my 2 front teeth are sticking out but its really a smudge on the mirror and I recently gave my friend shit about it for posting a pic with the exact
    Spoiler: show

Any reason why when I put a spoiler on it turns the image into a link?

Anyways sitting at a comfy 167 lately. If theres any BGers in NY who wanna hit a gym together one day im always down.

To Odesse, I do abs everyday in the middle of my workout to give my main focus muscles for that day a little break. Little bit each day to keep em in check. Strong core keeps everything else stable and allows for better posture and breathing for all workouts.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post

Anyways sitting at a comfy 167 lately.
    How tall are you? Really good physique for your height. And yeah I usually do abs somewhere in the middle if I feel I need a short break. I also bust out about 6-8 sets up 20 push ups in between other exercises as well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I'm 5' 11" and thanks. Yeah I like that although I usually save push ups as the last exercise for the night. Also lately I've been working on leg raises and holding them for 5-10 seconds in the air at a time. Really gives a good burn.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    Friend pointed out I need to work out on my outter delts and sknce then all I see is my puny delts. Any recommendations for exercises?? I really have been neglecting the outter parts.
    Since you're far more built than I am, I don't feel qualified to give advice, but, I've seen good results with doing 3x10 bent over side delt raises straight into 3x10 front delt raises, with the last side and first front raise being a superset in the middle. Also standing barbell raises for overall mass.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

@Botosi - Do you do OHP? Full range of motion with proper grip width should hit the sides you should be able to feel them getting worked.

I was able to hit a 245 C&J with sore and exhausted triceps. I missed a 275 clean but I was pretty tired by that point and probably shouldn't have even attempted. Weight felt heavy and I was a little overzelous through the first and second pull throwing everything off giving me a bad rack. I was able to 3 second pause 315 front squat around this timr last year so I just need to get back there. I'm carb deprived and dropping weight right now. I think a 315 C&J is possible this winter when I change my programming to more strength focused with some extra calories. That's a PR for me mainly because I've never been that heavy. I need drill down my form with some complexes and singles in the 75% 1RM range.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

One week to go for Metrocon. Excluding today (since I finished my workout already) 6 more days to go.

Starting today

-200 cals/day
    +6 mlies cycling per day.

Assuming -50 cals/mile, that's a net of an additional 3,500 burned on top of my regular routine for the final week.

Kicked ass today. Went to Fossil and did 3 laps. Kept a faster running pace and less rest before each station. Then I got on the bike and took the usual scenic route south, but the +6 mile route back up north and home. Totaled 23.7 miles for the day at a 19.1mph average (the average including time stopped at red lights, stop signs, and re-accelerating back up to speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    One week to go for Metrocon. Excluding today (since I finished my workout already) 6 more days to go.

Starting today

-200 cals/day
    +6 mlies cycling per day.

Assuming -50 cals/mile, that's a net of an additional 3,500 burned on top of my regular routine for the final week.

Kicked ass today. Went to Fossil and did 3 laps. Kept a faster running pace and less rest before each station. Then I got on the bike and took the usual scenic route south, but the +6 mile route back up north and home. Totaled 23.7 miles for the day at a 19.1mph average (the average including time stopped at red lights, stop signs, and re-accelerating back up to speed)

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

20 miles away from my original goal (average 180/week for 3 weeks leading to metrocon)

week 1: 180
    week 2: 200
    week 3: 140; and have 4 days to spare.

That said, since I'm crazy, I'm adding a stretch goal. If I can do 45/day for the next 4 days, that puts me at 320 for week 4 and totals me at 700 miles over a course of 3 weeks. Go hard or go home, right?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Starting to think my workout routine isnt cutting it anymore. Anyone have any opinions on Stronglift 5x5? Is it bunk, or does it work? etc.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

How long have you been lifting? It's definitely great for beginners, but once you get more advanced, you can move onto other shit

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Ah gotcha. 3 1/2 years. Maybe I'll just focus on reincorporating compounds back into my routine. I keep skipping over doing squats because they're more uncomfortable than I think is "normal".

My biggest issue is my bench hasn't increased in over a year; I'm still at 130 (bar + 1 45 plate on each side). Not sure if it's because I tore my rhomboids twice in my life, or I'm not doing enough presses in general or what.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/

Can try the 6 week strength program. It's what I use.

What I like about it is that for the 3 primary lifts, there's no guesswork.

Plug in your 1rm for squat, dead, and bench, and it'll give you your routine for 5-6 weeks (week 6 optional). Will tell you what weight to use, how many sets, how many reps. Just follow the spreadsheet and at the end it'll have you test your maxes again to replug into the spreadsheet.

There is also a pdf that explains the program

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

@Guitarman I did those workouts you said and I was sore for 2 days lol. I guess I really neglected working them out.

@Gustave Yeah I do do OHP's. Lately I've been doing 100 lbs for 5 x 5. That's probably the only exercise beside Arnold presses that has been helping out my Delt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    My biggest issue is my bench hasn't increased in over a year; I'm still at 130 (bar + 1 45 plate on each side). Not sure if it's because I tore my rhomboids twice in my life, or I'm not doing enough presses in general or what.
    I was stuck for a while until I switched it up. You didn't say how many reps youre doing with 130, but try to do 90 lbs x 15 warm up, 130 x 10, then add 5 lbs each side for 140 and do 5-8 (or as many as you can if not up to 5), then if you can do 150 for even just 1-2. Repeat the last set. That helped me from getting out of plateau'd 145lb bench status. Even if you can only do 1 of 140, just do that for 3x.

Working on arms also helped me with my bench. I used to be really skinny and when you have weak arms its hard to bench press lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

@CS thanks much, I'll give it a try!

@Botosi haha glad it helped! 3x8 for the bench. I'll give that a try, thank you. Just seemed very odd that I'm stalled out so badly. Willing to try anything at this point!

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Following up what Botosi said for benching (or just strength training in general) what I try and do is increase the weight incrementally, so about 10 lbs (5 on each side) max at a time. Even if I know it's going to be hard for me, I'll try to do like he said, 1-2 or more. The following time I work chest (or whatever muscle) I'll try to beat the number by 1. So far so good. Granted I use a Smith machine, but it's all my gym has. I've found it works pretty well for me.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Did a 42 mile ride this morning.

Gonna rest up today and go on an evening ride later. If I can squeeze out 20 more miles tonight, then I can do my regular rides Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, without adding any extra miles, and hit my stretch goal for this diet, totaling me at 700 miles for a 21 day duration (the original goal was 180 a week x3 for 540 miles)

Edit: made it to endgame. Got over 200 miles total for the week right now, with my 65 miles I put in today. Can just coast the the finish line now since I have 3 days to complete the last 120 miles. (Spread out over 3 days, 40/day is ezpz as compared to the back to back 65 mile days I just did; with today being leg day in the gym also)

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Hit the 700 miles, but twas a wasted effort. Still feel like I look like shit, lol

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What sort of pace are you riding at CS?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Solo rides? 18-22 depending on wind; then 16-17 once I go further than 30 miles and I'm dead.

Group rides are 25+, but easier than maintaining my solo pace due to only taking the brunt of the wind resistance a fraction of the time and getting to rest your legs in the pack (can go faster w/ less energy)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Hit the 700 miles, but twas a wasted effort. Still feel like I look like shit, lol
    Aren't you going to get mad water retention from all the exercise? Seems like it'll end up being counterproductive to what you want to do.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag