+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 153 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Only when hot and/or exercising, so perhaps not. Once it starts though... fucking deluge. Maybe we can still be buddies.

Banned.

BG Level

Went back to school part-time this semester and I'm forced to pay student fees so figured I might as well use the campus gym. It's my first real gym and I was addicted day one. I've gained about ten pounds since the start of the semester, which is great because I was pretty lean before. Right now I'm mostly switching up upper-body workouts, lower-body workouts, and cardio with about a 2/1 strength-training/cardio ratio. I'm using machines almost exclusively because I don't know enough about free weights to use them properly and yet I'm aware enough of the dangers of using them improperly. I'll learn free weights when I'm ready; I think that will be soon, but I want to do it right. I also eat anywhere from 40/60 to 80/20 healthy/crap and I'm well-aware that I need to improve that, but I'm in the mode of taking one step at a time and not trying to be perfect right off the bat. So far the results have been really promising, although I'm starting to hit the wall that I hear a lot of beginners hit - you improve a lot at first, then more slowly over time - so I just have to stay motivated and keep upping my game. I think I'll do some personal training sessions soon, focusing on free weights, once I'm ready. I've also been taking progress pics every two weeks which is very motivating.

This thread is inspiring, though. Shiro I'm impressed with how far you've come and you give me faith that I can do the same, given enough time and effort.

Also just FYI I chose this name on a lark; I'm actually a dude. So yeah. Just in case you were confused.

edit: also, love the steam room. So relaxing (but not after cardio, I've learned...) And I'm gay so... love the showers. I don't stare, but you tend to notice things, can't help it.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

There is no when you're ready. Start with free weights now. The only thing close to "When you're ready" is don't jump into heavy weight right away. If you're not comfortable with it, use light weight/just the bar until you are comfortable with it. Then slowly add weight as you settle in to your actual strength level. There's really 0 reason ever not to use free weights. Machines aren't going to give you a head start or shorten the learning curve of free weights by anything, so if it takes you 2 weeks to settle in after 2 months of machines, you could have settled in within 2 weeks of stepping into the gym

Even with females that I've introduced to the gym. They do the exact same exercises I do from day one; only with weights that they can handle (and reduced number of sets obviously; but I keep them in the same rep range as I as well)

Banned.

BG Level

I see what you're saying, but what I mean is that machines are very easy to use and understand. Free weights carry a greater risk of injury, and I've already fucked up my shoulder fairly bad using them in the past. I don't have the time or energy to dedicate to doing it right at the moment, so I'm just doing the easier (and admittedly less effective) option.

I also need a gym buddy... stuff like bench press can be somewhat terrifying without a spotter. I've already trapped myself once, that was fun lol. Not embarassing at all!

Thanks for the pep talk though. Any advice on what I can do to learn2freeweight safely?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Many youtube channels out there that break down each exercise step by step. Aside from that, practice. Repetition is what causes your body to learn it. If you're afraid to bench w/o a spotter, use dumbbells. I honestly like them better for most exercises anyways, since they hit your stabilizer muscles way better

Clever and witty, all together the ladies love the Nekura
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Recommended reading (even though you're banned now lol): http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Use the free weight brahs, cant recommend it enough..Good rule of thumb to start is that if you can do 6-8 reps you in your weight range and work from there on. If you can't do more than 4-5 then lower the weight, if you can do more than 10-12 reps then up the weight.. Obviously you wouldn't jump into doing bicep curl with 40lb..Pick up a dumbell and feels it, test your LIMIT. Machine's kinda useless outside the gym, especially when you starting and have little muscle foundation. You want to start with free weight first and foremost because it'll work your stabilizer muscles, machines dont do that. It's Free weight > Barbell > machines. Pick your muscle groups, rep and set, then work them in that order, dont over train yourself though. Feed your body with the nutrients it needs along with shit load of good night sleep. YOU WILL GROW.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Tried a double body weight pull up, but to no avail. Got about 65% of the way up. Looks like I have a new goal.

and gt, barbells are free weight, but if what you were trying to say dumbbell > barbell > machines, then I'd agree. <3 me some dumbbells

Did my 2 days with weighted pull ups with intentions of reps, so decided to do some extra credit this morning. 5 sets of 2 with +115

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I haven't posted in this thread for a few weeks now but I figured I'd give an update. My workouts have been going well up until Canadian thanksgiving. I managed to drop nearly 20lbs, going from roughly 188lbs->170~lbs in the course of a month and a half or so, losing a lot of my muffin topping and generally just looking leaner and less rotund. It can pretty much be chalked up to a combination of working out 3~4 days a week and being really strict with my calorie counting as was suggested to me earlier in this thread, so thanks for that advice :D. Using the calculators people posted on here, I found that I on average burned anywhere from 2300~2600cal a day and so I began controlling my intake to be roughly around 2000 or less cal a day which gave really solid results :D. I also stopped my fruit/smoothie drinking and cut back on sugar in general which helped a lot I think. And starting being strict with my nutrition and keeping up with some basic multi-vitamin supplements.

Anyway, I ate a ton of turkey a couple weeks ago and since then haven't been as strict as I should be. I do want to change gyms though, my current one is a rec center where the fitness facility is on the smaller side. So joining a gym that is primarily focused on working out (and not being a children's day-care the majority of the time) I think would really help. My target is to drop down to roughly 160lbs and maintain myself at that level. My muscle-mass could use a bit of work, but I'm mostly concerned about lowering my body fat percentage. We'll see how that goes.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    I haven't posted in this thread for a few weeks now but I figured I'd give an update. My workouts have been going well up until Canadian thanksgiving. I managed to drop nearly 20lbs, going from roughly 188lbs->170~lbs in the course of a month and a half or so, losing a lot of my muffin topping and generally just looking leaner and less rotund. It can pretty much be chalked up to a combination of working out 3~4 days a week and being really strict with my calorie counting as was suggested to me earlier in this thread, so thanks for that advice :D. Using the calculators people posted on here, I found that I on average burned anywhere from 2300~2600cal a day and so I began controlling my intake to be roughly around 2000 or less cal a day which gave really solid results :D. I also stopped my fruit/smoothie drinking and cut back on sugar in general which helped a lot I think. And starting being strict with my nutrition and keeping up with some basic multi-vitamin supplements.

Anyway, I ate a ton of turkey a couple weeks ago and since then haven't been as strict as I should be. I do want to change gyms though, my current one is a rec center where the fitness facility is on the smaller side. So joining a gym that is primarily focused on working out (and not being a children's day-care the majority of the time) I think would really help. My target is to drop down to roughly 160lbs and maintain myself at that level. My muscle-mass could use a bit of work, but I'm mostly concerned about lowering my body fat percentage. We'll see how that goes.
    Dropping all sugary beverages including allegedly-healthy sugar-laden juices is seriously the #1 thing any beginner can do for themselves. I think a lot of novice diet/workout people just looking to look a little better could attain their goals just by dropping all full carb beers, sodas, sugary juices, etc.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Tried a double body weight pull up, but to no avail. Got about 65% of the way up. Looks like I have a new goal.

and gt, barbells are free weight, but if what you were trying to say dumbbell > barbell > machines, then I'd agree. <3 me some dumbbells
    Did my 2 days with weighted pull ups with intentions of reps, so decided to do some extra credit this morning. 5 sets of 2 with +115
    whooops yea that was a typo.. I meant to say dumbbell! thanks for catching that lol

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Missed goal weight by 3 lbs, hey, there's still a few more days can probably drop off another 1-2 before Friday

3 days out from convention
    Spoiler: show

Edit:
    Convention tomorrow. Looks like I just made it

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This thread needs more love.
    I finally hit the end of my "fuck everything related to diet, I wanna get big" phase. Got up to 200lbs (200.8 on the dot actually).
    Next week Saturday I have a planned "PR day" in my workout program for the Snatch, C&J, Back Squat, and Front Squat.
    Going to go back to maintenance calories for this week and next, then start to cut after.
    Time to trim back down while conditioning for a couple different competitions.
    In January, I have another Olympic Weightlifting competition I'm going to participate in.
    Then in April I'll have the first karate tournament of the season for me.

Time to get back down to about 170!

So started German Volume Training today. Fits pretty well as I have to do most of my workouts at home now and supersets of pullups/benchpress and dumbbell shit is pretty easy. Dumbbell deadlifts/squats are a pain but w/e.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Missed goal weight by 3 lbs, hey, there's still a few more days can probably drop off another 1-2 before Friday

3 days out from convention

Edit:
    Convention tomorrow. Looks like I just made it
    totally jelly

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Jesus, CS. That's not even human.

Over the last 5 or so months, I've gone from 220 to 190.

I've fallen off a bit as of late. Kept my weight the same, but starting tomorrow I am starting a 2nd job. 3 weeknights a week and 1 weekend day. I'm barely going to have time to work out any more, and I'm a bit concerned. Wat do?

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Any recommendations for meal replacement powders? Looking for something more along the lines of Soylent rather than weight gainer shakes, as from what I have seen it's cheaper. About to try a sample of 100% Food brand. I'm picky in general and always at different client sites so it's difficult to plan what I'll be able to prep at work. I'm hoping the convenience of meal replacement powders will allow me to start bulking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Jesus, CS. That's not even human.

Over the last 5 or so months, I've gone from 220 to 190.

I've fallen off a bit as of late. Kept my weight the same, but starting tomorrow I am starting a 2nd job. 3 weeknights a week and 1 weekend day. I'm barely going to have time to work out any more, and I'm a bit concerned. Wat do?
    I'd prob do some variation of the prison workout at home.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Nah, I could have done better if I had taken it seriously for longer.

However, my con in June is going to be something to see. That there was 3 weeks of prep time. I have two cons in April, and one in June. That being said, my regiment for those start March 1st. Gives me four weeks for the first two; then when those are over, I have a month and a half before the one in June, which isn't enough time to take a legit break, so I'm just going to take it all the way, but I have to. I'm going as Kars and he's just too perfect not to give justice to

As far as working out goes; not sure what your current split looks like but if you're pressed for time, could always just stick w/ the big compound lifts, and do full body twice a week.

3-5 sets of

Bench press
    Squat
    Dead lift
    Pull ups (weighted when can)
    Dips (weighted when can)

should hit a majority of shit for you and can be done in 15-25 sets depending on how many you do in that 3-5 range

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So been tracking my measurements for about 3.5 weeks now, and consistently wondering "hm, why are my bicep measurements so small?"

Found out today most people measure with their biceps flexed. Felt real smart after reading that. Go me.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So been tracking my measurements for about 3.5 weeks now, and consistently wondering "hm, why are my bicep measurements so small?"

Found out today most people measure with their biceps flexed. Felt real smart after reading that. Go me.
    Hah, I did that too when first starting out.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag