FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Double post...somehow

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    This advice applies to just about any gym pain. The first thing to know is that pain is not a reliable indicator of injury and the goal of any rehab is not to be "pain-free" but to have the pain to a manageable level that you can work through. At that point it will mostly sort itself out.

Idk how often you are doing your pulldowns but don't skip any workouts. The next time you do them, start light and see how they feel. If there is pain at any weight, try reducing the range of motion to see if it only hurts at a certain point.

To analogize to squats, you would test if you're only experiencing pain at a certain depth or only at certain weights. If depth, you would reduce your depth to a manageable pain level and then slowly increase workout to workout until it is back to normal. Same thing if the issue is only with heavy weight - get as high as you can while manageable and work your way back up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    No this is terrible advice to give. If you're having difficulty breathing when working out and pain, rest a few days. Continued pain is a fucking great indicator of gym injuries. That's why it exists. Pain is not soreness and lumping them together is disingenuous.

I checked the credentials of the barbell medicine people. The founder never finished residency which is why he doesn't have a speciality listed and the guy in the video is an Internal Medicine physician. My husband is an Internal Medicine physician and knows way less than I do about lifting and injuries. That's not their field of training.

Your training will be fine to rest and stay out of the gym and do things at home. None of you are elite athletes so this advice is pretty terrible to give to someone casually working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    Cheers guys I appreciate the responses, I had a few rest days and the pain has subsided so i reckon ill start light with low range to see how I feel.

Yabby I've got a Marcey MP3100 which is more than just a smith machine
    Thanks, i'm over here doing math trying to figure out how you were doing it. I was also look for gym fails to see anyone else trying.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    No this is terrible advice to give. If you're having difficulty breathing when working out and pain, rest a few days. Continued pain is a fucking great indicator of gym injuries. That's why it exists. Pain is not soreness and lumping them together is disingenuous.

I checked the credentials of the barbell medicine people. The founder never finished residency which is why he doesn't have a speciality listed and the guy in the video is an Internal Medicine physician. My husband is an Internal Medicine physician and knows way less than I do about lifting and injuries. That's not their field of training.

Your training will be fine to rest and stay out of the gym and do things at home. None of you are elite athletes so this advice is pretty terrible to give to someone casually working out.
    It's my mistake for trying to fit too much nuance into too few words. The difference between "pain" and "discomfort" is important and there are obviously different levels of pain. What I might call "discomfort" someone else might call pain.

He had difficulty "taking a deep breath" (to me this different than "difficulty breathing" since normal people don't take a deep breath every time) and was experiencing some discomfort around his pec. This is fine. It isn't the end of the world. A day or two of rest is fine before returning to the gym and giving it another go. I really don't know how either of you got something else out of my post, like I wanted him to keep lifting while he couldn't breathe? Lol

I wouldn't listen to an "elite athlete" without verifying their information is legit which is why I've been providing support. Here is some more about pain in the gym: https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Been a long time since this thread was bumped, so i figured I would do an update. Most things have healed since surgery, and this is what i look like now after cutting to about 195. COVID has really stopped a lot of progress, as i'm not able to get into the gym (MI Has locked down gyms since March, still not open). I'm just happy to keep what i have. Been doing a lot of home workouts, etc. Hope everyone is staying strong and not telling COVID kill your progress.

Spoiler: show

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Nice what were you before cutting?

At my heaviest I was 450.

I got down to about 205/210 before surgery to cut off all the loose skin.

After recovering, I bulked back up to about 240 trying to put on muscle, but it was a dirty and quick bulk (about 5 months, I had been eating so few calories for years and wanted to enjoy life again for a while lol.). Then from there I dropped to 195. Once gym's open back up, I'm going to start a cleaner and slow bulk. At this point I'm not really worried about weight, but size in the correct places.

BG Level

Dude that's quite a journey! Congratulations, seriously.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Wow congrats on the journey, if you dont mind, how much was the surgery to remove the excess skin?

quick question on my own weight loss - i'm about 5' 10" to 11" or so, and i started off at 268 lb in mid February. (male, 35 years old now). was prescribed topamax (topiramate) and metformin to help lose weight and hopefully help with migraines, which caused me to start losing weight fairly rapidly until the last month and a half or so, at which point it's kind of gotten "stuck" and hovered around 239-242 lb on my scale. oddly enough though, i still seem to be going down a bit on weight by appearance slightly, and when my doctor did the latest measurement last week, she noted by her own measurement i was still down 8 lb from the last two month assessment, so my weight loss was still on track.

she also did a check with some electrodes stuck to my foot and hand to check my body mass, and it came out as 75.4 lb fat, 30.9%, and 168.6 lb fat free mass. she said this was pretty good for my weight, and as far as i could figure out, that was... surprisingly low for my weight? do i actually have more muscle hiding under my body than i thought? i do seem to be surprised because i actually seem to have a bit of thigh muscles and biceps hiding as i've been losing weight, but i don't really work out or anything, just work as a cashier lol. i just laze about on my free time.

from what i can tell i'm supposed to probably be closer to around 32-36% body fat for a lazy fat ass, but i'm not sure how good my google fu is.

and on a slightly more embarrassing note, i do have the dreaded moobs. i know they go away in some men, but not all - is there a way to tell if it will or not? how does one tell the difference between just fat deposits and male breast tissue? they're not exactly huge moobs, but i don't exactly enjoy seeing a slightly curved <( shape sticking out instead of just a ( shape, if you know what i mean. ;.; wasn't very obvious before i started losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by mahler05 View Post
    Wow congrats on the journey, if you dont mind, how much was the surgery to remove the excess skin?
    I had to do the surgery in two steps, as there was too much to do all at once. Something i did not know until i started this was the second the surgeon cuts into you, you start to swell up. So, by the time they are done with a certain part of your body, doing another part would be counterproductive as they can't gauge how much is loose and how much is just swelling.

Because of this I had to do my chest and belly 1st (Which to me was the most important), Second round after a year of healing we did my back and butt. Lucky for me my arms, and legs don't hold much loose skin so i didn't need to do those.

1st Surgery was about 12k
    2nd Surgery was about 8k

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    quick question on my own weight loss - i'm about 5' 10" to 11" or so, and i started off at 268 lb in mid February. (male, 35 years old now). was prescribed topamax (topiramate) and metformin to help lose weight and hopefully help with migraines, which caused me to start losing weight fairly rapidly until the last month and a half or so, at which point it's kind of gotten "stuck" and hovered around 239-242 lb on my scale. oddly enough though, i still seem to be going down a bit on weight by appearance slightly, and when my doctor did the latest measurement last week, she noted by her own measurement i was still down 8 lb from the last two month assessment, so my weight loss was still on track.

she also did a check with some electrodes stuck to my foot and hand to check my body mass, and it came out as 75.4 lb fat, 30.9%, and 168.6 lb fat free mass. she said this was pretty good for my weight, and as far as i could figure out, that was... surprisingly low for my weight? do i actually have more muscle hiding under my body than i thought? i do seem to be surprised because i actually seem to have a bit of thigh muscles and biceps hiding as i've been losing weight, but i don't really work out or anything, just work as a cashier lol. i just laze about on my free time.

from what i can tell i'm supposed to probably be closer to around 32-36% body fat for a lazy fat ass, but i'm not sure how good my google fu is.

and on a slightly more embarrassing note, i do have the dreaded moobs. i know they go away in some men, but not all - is there a way to tell if it will or not? how does one tell the difference between just fat deposits and male breast tissue? they're not exactly huge moobs, but i don't exactly enjoy seeing a slightly curved <( shape sticking out instead of just a ( shape, if you know what i mean. ;.; wasn't very obvious before i started losing weight.

To answer about your body fat. Those electrodes or dexa scans can help you guess your range of body fat, but they are not accurate at all. There are a TON of variables that shift that BF number around. How hydrated you are, how much food you have in you, the humidity in the air, did you dampen your feet before getting on.

Let me put it this way, I went out on the same day and got a Dexa Scan, Electrodes scale scan (Most likely what you got, and my home scale that does the same thing, but without the hands thing.

Dexa = 8.9%
    Electrodes = 7.5% (I laughed at this because i know I'm not even close to that)
    Home Scale = 10.5%

This was all done in the span of three hours, and i didn't eat or drink between them. These scans are good at giving you an idea of where you sit, but for the most part they can be off by 5 + or - or more.

As far as your chest, you will not know 100% how they are going to turn out unit you put in the work for getting your BF down. Based on all the weight loss people i know/seen a good rule of thumb is if you only need to lose about 80~ pounds there is a good chance your body can bounce back and look normal. Every 10 pounds more those chances go down and you will have loose skin. Genetics player a HUGE part in all this, which is why there is no 100% way to know as it varies person to person.

Good Luck.

hmm, good to know. i think i'm supposed to be around 170ish lb or so - my highest ever was at 280 lb, but that was for only a few months, and i quickly lost it and went down to 260, so i guess i'm kind of riding that edge on the loose skin department. that said, i only eat one meal a day and tend to fast once in a while anyways for the heck of it, and i seem to have pretty good genetics in the skin department... people constantly get shocked and even outraged because they think im 20 years old then find out im 35 lol. i like to joke im older than god... guess i got primal blood in me!

on another note, uh... is it normal to lose like... 4-5 lb in.... 4 hours? without pooping or anything, or even sweating? cause that just happened to me a few days ago, and today i just lost another 2 and a half lb in about 3 hours. i mean, i'm gaining a couple lb back when i eat my dinner of course, cause it's a big meal and i'm drinking water along with it, but still... i was bored and weighed myself on the scale, and was 244 lb, then tried doing some visualization exercises for a while like i often do, only extended. if you've ever read the Dark Tower series, you might be familiar with Susannah Dean and how she uses her inner Dogan to alter her bodies processes and such - i was trying to do similar exercises only for losing weight and putting on muscle. for a while, because hey, why not right?

...does this sort of thing happen naturally? because i literally have never seen myself lose this much weight in the space of a few hours. i was still drinking water too. it wasn't just a single day thing either... a few days later, and i'm still averaging out at 238 lb. well ok, 240 lb now, because i just ate a big ass taco salad. (lol). i know you lose most of your fat not through pooping, but through your breath since it's technically (literally) burning fat, but still... it just feels like i broke a law of physics somewhere lol.

Naw. It is normal in the sense that it happens to everyone, no, but the amount of water you can sweat or burn off in a few hours can be high. I'll put it this way, I tend to range in a 10 pound range throughout the day. I've lost 4+ pounds before after a hot bath. I've gone to sleep and woke up 6 hours later and I have been down 6 pounds from when i went to sleep. Bodies are weird and the way we hold onto water can vary.

I would suggest to weight yourself once a day max. I always do it right when i get up to make sure my body is the closest to where it was the last day (Meaning i haven't eaten or had water yet).

i dunno, it seems odd because i often weigh myself several times a day for the heck of it, and this is the first time it's ever fluxuated so much in such a short time like that for me, especially in the downward trend. i know i lose weight overnight, but never so much, and it barely ever goes down at all throughout the day - certainly not when it's a balmy 70 degrees inside with 75% humidity and i'm not doing anything.

and i just woke up and my 240.5 lb taco salad weight just shot down to... 237.4 lb overnight, despite the fact i do drink water during the times i wake up to piss. i normally lose about 1.5 lb overnight max. <_<; i've now gone down to my lowest weight ever since uh... like since i was my mid 20s i think.

i always weigh myself when i first wake up and before i go to bed, and tend to do so after i eat and take a shower just for fun, so it's not just random times i weigh myself. the massive weight loss before bed was the first time i've ever seen it go down before falling asleep for me, and in dramatic fashion at that. eating normally adds 1-2 lb.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Anyone here take fish oil? Or glucosamine?

Curious if anyone’s seen any results taking those supplements. My joints suck ass and I’m tired of feeling like a 60 year old at 29.

i tried fish oil and also some joint health combo for a while, but they didn't seem to do much if anything for me. honestly, so far the best things that worked for me were losing weight, and a shiatsu massager.

losing 25 lb of dead weight so far has done WONDERS for my joints. like, it's amazing. i feel like goku after having his training weights taken off. i keep getting thrown off because i'll get up out of bed or something and i'll put too much energy behind it sometimes. don't get me wrong, i still have joint pains, but they're down a lot from what they used to be. seeing a chiropractor also helped, since it turned out i had a lot of misalignments over the years which he managed to correct over a few sessions - that initial fix corrected a ton of lower back pain i was having, which was what originally had me see the doctor in the first place. now i only get minor back pain after working on my feet for several hours, and that goes away after a bit of rest.

the shiatsu massager i got seems to be helping a lot too to loosen out any tension in the joints. at the very least it's just so damn enjoyable...

you can also try exercise to help out - i know i've always felt amazing after practicing Sun style Tai chi. it's the only exercise i've done where i actually felt more energetic after exercising, lol. makes you feel relaxed and loose too. then again, maybe the reason i felt more energetic afterward was because our sensei had us spend the first half hour to 45 minutes or so doing laps around the dojo doing various steps and kicks (after a short period of warm up exercises)to build up stamina and balance. step and straight kick. step and straight kick with the next leg. repeat! repeat! all on a squishy mat that's nigh impossible to balance on! now do the same with a side kick! now the same with a lift leg then kick out!

yeah, after a while of that you felt like your legs were gonna fall off lol. then it was like an hour of learning a new part of the form and practicing it before we spent the last half hour doing everything we learned so far then cooling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    i dunno, it seems odd because i often weigh myself several times a day for the heck of it, and this is the first time it's ever fluxuated so much in such a short time like that for me, especially in the downward trend.
    I'm almost always 3 to 4 pounds down from when I got to bed, and wake up. It's like clockwork for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    Anyone here take fish oil? Or glucosamine?

Curious if anyone’s seen any results taking those supplements. My joints suck ass and I’m tired of feeling like a 60 year old at 29.
    I tried doing fish oil for a good year, then came off of it. Didn't really see a difference.

I did start really focusing on stretching and at some point, my knee stopped hurting. I'm in IT and sit 99% of the time, so my mobility was shit. I think stretching helped, but it could just be all in my head.

yeah, from what i've read and from what my doctor told me, moving the joints (gently, obviously!) causes them to lubricate themselves, so if you don't give them proper stretching, they start to dry out, or even get bits of bone spurs or the like. it's important to stretch them regularly to prevent this from happening, which is why sun tai chi is a great form of exercise for the joints - it's a whole body workout that really stretches all your joints in a gentle way. also it's fucking amazing on your balance. it's been almost 10 years since i've taken those classes. i couldn't even balance on one leg before i did them for a few seconds. now it's laughably easy for me to maintain my balance in pretty much any position still despite not actively practicing. i have a lot more flexibility than i used to as well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I literally have no weight to lose. If anything I may need to gain a few pounds (maybe I’m too skinny?).

It’s really hard for me to keep my weight up unless I’m in the gym 4-5 days a week lifting weights.

Unfortunately due to covid that hasn’t been the case. Since covid I’ve lost 15-20lbs (which for me isn’t a good thing).

I’m 5’11” and about 160 right now. I was at 180 pre-covid (all muscle) and now I’m pretty much skin and bones.

I probably just need to get more active. I work at a computer 9hrs a day and play FFXI in my free time so my shitty joints probably are just from not moving around enough.

Gonna avoid the fish oil though. Seems like a waste of time/$$$.

probably. most vitamins and supplements are, unless you're actually malnourished in something. the only things i've ever noticed an actual benefit from to any extent is a minor boost from fiber, since i don't eat enough veggies, and vitamin C, since again, i don't get enough veggies or fruit in my diet. i definitely noticed my skin getting a boost in health over the course of a couple weeks from that - it started to improve in tone, looked a bit firmer and plumper. felt better too.

oh, and vitamin B-6 tends to enhance your dreams a bit, especially paired with melatonin. been taking that since it's supposed to help with resisting covid-19, and since i'm a grocery store worker, i need all the edges i can get resisting getting sick. the b-6 happens to be paired with the melatonin pills i got.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag