Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I use that machine for calf raises, lol.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post

Why?
    How do you even rack this without it coming down on you? Putting stoppers on each side negates the ability to actually do a full motion press. This machine is only acceptable to hold your coat while you use free weights.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Missed my goal I set in September by 5 pounds. Wanted to be able to squat twice my bodyweight by new years. I'm 133lbs atm (5'9), squatted 260 but failed out on the 265. :/

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

missed by 6 lbs you mean!!!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    missed by 6 lbs you mean!!!

I would say blame it on my fat fingers but being built like skeletor I have long, bony alien hands

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    It's typically referred to as a hack squat.

http://startrac.com/us-en/strength/detail.aspx?id=164
    that's it. I see chicks try to use it to squat while facing down towards the machine and all sorts of other weird shit

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Legit though, try it for calf raises. Load that shit up with silly weight and go to town.

Girlfriend is down for 2 weeks (haven't seen her in two months) and I can't work out for another 7-9 days-ish cuz surgery. Gonna try to start teaching her how to work out with the freeweights in my apartment today.

Got DL, squats, lunges, leg raises all planned out. Any other ideas on what to do with dumbbells only?

Not sure what kind of shape she's starting from, but maybe bent-over rows (girls seem to love having upper back definition) and russian twists for some core action.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Starting from pretty much nothing. Just being skinny. She played field hockey and track in high school 7ish years ago.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Legit though, try it for calf raises. Load that shit up with silly weight and go to town.

Girlfriend is down for 2 weeks (haven't seen her in two months) and I can't work out for another 7-9 days-ish cuz surgery. Gonna try to start teaching her how to work out with the freeweights in my apartment today.

Got DL, squats, lunges, leg raises all planned out. Any other ideas on what to do with dumbbells only?
    Bulgarian split squats. The balance can be difficult at first but once you have it down it's an incredible exercise

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Can you link a good video for those? Tried them out, but they just felt like a very small variation on stationary lunges.

Edit: A world of complaining and like 1.5 hours later the first workout is done! She doesn't like working out with weights, lol. This is gonna take some effort. It's harder because since I just got out of surgery I can't work out with her for like 1.5 more weeks, so it's just me sitting here telling her to do stuff, lol.

Oh well, progress is progress! Got her to take a scoop of my super high calorie protein shake too (I use stuff that's like 120c / scoop, this is like 230/scoop) since she's down to like 102lbs. Need to put some mass on for that ass!

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    that's it. I see chicks try to use it to squat while facing down towards the machine and all sorts of other weird shit
    The first thing you mention is for a variation of front squats actually. haha. It's an actual use of that machine!

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Can you link a good video for those? Tried them out, but they just felt like a very small variation on stationary lunges.
    You should feel an immense stretch on the back leg through the hip flexor and quad as you descend. Front leg's Glutes need to fire off like crazy as you come up and try to keep the knee in line with the ankle.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Are the weights, for ankles and wrists worth it for some 'cheap on motivation?'

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh I know the feeling. I'm 225 yet NO one can tell. Every time I go to the doctor every nurse puts me on a scale and starts me off at 150 and starts sliding the smaller weight over gradually. I have to sigh and click it over to the 200lb notch and watch them look at me weird. I mean it's great I don't look like a lardass or anything, but I still hate it's an epic struggle to shed anything beyond this point.
    I know the feeling. Even when I weighed more people would always be off by like 20 pounds.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Hey BG Fitness.

Im looking for some advice on bulking up. Quick backstory to aid in advice;

Old Aim

Im male, 25 years old, 5.9 height and weigh 9.5 stone (133lb). I've worked out for the past 5 years with my main aim being get as ripped as possible. I am 80% happy with reaching that goal so far.

I lift 4 sets of 12-15 reps working these muscles groups per workout:
    bi + back
    shoulder + Tri
    chest
    legs

Abs are worked in most days and i am happy with my ab workout so i won't go into detail for them.

I have 1 cardio day a week playing soccer for 2 hours.

I workout 4-5 times a week. I don't diet but eat well and am conscious of what i eat. I drink a shake every second workout aimed at recovery not bulking.

New Aim

I want to stay ripped to see muscle definition BUT i want to weigh more around the 10 - 10.5 (140 - 150lbs) mark. I would like to avoid having to change diet / what i eat if possible and make changes to my workout routine to achieve this (i know thats putting myself at a disadvantage already so only if possible)

Is the simple answer to start lifting more weight but keeping the same reps and just suck it up?

Any advice would be massively appreciated! Thanks for the time BG Fitness!

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Venga View Post
    Hey BG Fitness.

Im looking for some advice on bulking up.

I would like to avoid having to change diet
    Congratulations the only possible way for you to gain weight while still working out would be to cut out all extraneous caloric usage like walking/breathing/thinking.

alternatively quit soccer since cardio kills gains

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hey BG Fitness.

Im looking for some advice on bulking up. Quick backstory to aid in advice;

Old Aim

Im male, 25 years old, 5.9 height and weigh 9.5 stone (133lb). I've worked out for the past 5 years with my main aim being get as ripped as possible. I am 80% happy with reaching that goal so far.

I lift 4 sets of 12-15 reps working these muscles groups per workout:
    bi + back
    shoulder + Tri
    chest
    legs

Abs are worked in most days and i am happy with my ab workout so i won't go into detail for them.

I have 1 cardio day a week playing soccer for 2 hours.

I workout 4-5 times a week. I don't diet but eat well and am conscious of what i eat. I drink a shake every second workout aimed at recovery not bulking.

New Aim

I want to stay ripped to see muscle definition BUT i want to weigh more around the 10 - 10.5 (140 - 150lbs) mark. I would like to avoid having to change diet / what i eat if possible and make changes to my workout routine to achieve this (i know thats putting myself at a disadvantage already so only if possible)

Is the simple answer to start lifting more weight but keeping the same reps and just suck it up?

Any advice would be massively appreciated! Thanks for the time BG Fitness!
    You cannot gain weight at a deficit; you're not above science and the laws of thermodynamics. Suck it up and eat more if you want to gain weight.

If what you've been doing for the past 5 years has kept you at 133lbs this entire time and you don't want to change anything, then just eat/drink another 500 calories every day for the next 10 weeks (2.5 months). You'll gain 10 pounds. Have a piece of fruit (80-110 calories) before every workout, a protein shake (130-160 calories) after every workout instead of every second workout and a serving of ice cream (200-300) every night. Boom, done.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

I drink a shake every second workout aimed at recovery not bulking.
    I still see no logical reasoning behind this since im assuming u mean a protein shake and not a mass gainer.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Echoing just so you have a third voice of reason: there is no physical way to put on mass at a deficit.

Congrats on your new higher calorie diet.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag