+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 153 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah bruh I get it. You have a firm grasp on everything but chose to ask the internet for estimations prior to even trying with the weight you had.

Silly me for inferring anything else based on how fucking retarded I found that line of thinking to be, and trying to answer your question with more than just a number. My bad.

I estimate your 1RM to be approximately 420, give it a go.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You have a great personality.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    I estimate your 1RM to be approximately 420, give it a go.
    I've done that before. Shocked myself by doing three reps instead of one. Huzzah

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

To be fair, you're also a freaking tank. So yeah.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    To be fair, you're also a freaking tank. So yeah.
    pew pew!

I was playing around with some different foot position drills for jerks and this felt amazingly light. 118kg (260lbs)
    https://instagram.com/p/8B15R5gNET/

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The difference between a 1 RM and a 5x set is pretty significant for me depending on muscle group. On bench, I can do 1x275 whereas I'm roughly capped at 5x225. However, squats are much closer (within 5-10% or so). I just burn out quickly these days in terms of anaerobic stamina in certain areas. I think the shoulder issues play into the bench disparity (fine for one heavy burst, but longer sets produce too much strain).

Is everyone running a 5x5/StrongLifts program or similar for gains? I have always ran a very heavy 8 sets of 3 repertoire for both bench and squat. I seem to get great gains doing so (I have been doing 8x3 since HS), but it's based more on historical habits than any specific science.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

It's recommended everywhere but I don't think everyone is running it. It's linear progression, works a ton of groups without much targeted lifts, and works for a lot of people. Especially those with time constraints. Think a lot of people switch to madcow or ice cream after a certain point, or when they want more targeted work. There are people doing SL that are lifting pretty big but most switch off after a point.

GATTACA!

BG Level

I've been running 5x5 for a while now, usually life interrupts before I can get heavy enough to consider switching so I de-load and stay with it. I did PHUL at one point to mix things up but the difference between 3 days a week and 4 is huge to me since I am in basketball and tennis leagues. Work is adding a kickball league too, farewell early afternoons at home.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I work 3 12's (7a-7p) in a row then off 4 days, plus OT. I get home at 730pm and gotta cook, eat, and be in bed hopefully between 11-12 on work days. The time constraints on work days make something like SL really huge for me because I can not for the life of me get up early enough in the morning to work out.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Mad gainz from kickball dog! I typically work 7 AM to 8 PM M-F with ~10 hours on the weekend. I don't even eat dinner until 10 PM almost every weekday night.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I work 3 12's (7a-7p) in a row then off 4 days, plus OT. I get home at 730pm and gotta cook, eat, and be in bed hopefully between 11-12 on work days. The time constraints on work days make something like SL really huge for me because I can not for the life of me get up early enough in the morning to work out.
    ouch yeah, that's rough. I can't work out in the morning either. the few times I've peeled myself out of the bed early enough I felt nautious and out of sorts at the gym

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Mad gainz from kickball dog! I typically work 7 AM to 8 PM M-F with ~10 hours on the weekend. I don't even eat dinner until 10 PM almost every weekday night.
    I rarely go above 45-50 hours a week, but the past two weeks for example I've been in a little town outside of Philly. hotel here has a crappy little gym so I just say fuck it and call it two rest weeks. I guess my main weakness is working out outside of my regimen. when I'm on a clean schedule and don't have to rearrange things I can go months without missing or moving a workout

Never tried 5x5 here either, though I might give it a shot one day.

I don't really want/plan to try to get any bigger than I am now, but might be worth giving it a shot anyway. And I'd still like to get a little more chest strength&mass.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I just recently changed my squats to 3x5 from 5x5 due to time and not having a cage/power rack at home to do it safely. I still increase the weight though, but I might slow that down too. Everything else I follow the program exactly. I'm cutting and not looking to get big at the moment, I just want to look better, feel better, and be a bit stronger for my wedding in June. Plus, I love it.

That website says I'm weak because I don't bench a lot - I guess now I know the least relevant lift is now the most relevant.

^My typical strength workout is a work to 1RM or 3RM, then sets of 3-5x3-5-10 depending on the rest of the days workout.

There's a lot of crossover in what I do, so that 1RM/3RM lift can be Bench Press, Squat, Front Squat, Overhead Squat, Deadlift, Clean, Clean and Jerk, Press, Push Press, Snatch, and then other minor stuff like 1-Arm getups and stuff like that.

Typically if I do a 1RM/3RM for Squat one week, the next would be a different type of squat. I still might do regular squats for a different section of the workout but yeah.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Already expected chest and shoulder would be as weak as possible due to old and unknown injury cause... or any part that related to shoulder strength. But right now most of my 1RM dropped compared to few years ago

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What's reasonable time to run a mile for a not super out of shape 24yo ? Been running a mile and walking the difference to get to 15 min every other day and I'm down to 8:55ish but that is totally draining

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The pace at 6 miles for 55~57minutes if just start not more than 3-6 months is still fine for me... If continuous run for more than a year, around 8 minutes 24~48 sec range. If your leg is longer, it is could be faster. It also depends on what had you train on your muscle one or two days before.

I could only keep up to that speed for 6 to 8 miles due to usually a day before I would have an intense racket sport

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can't keep that pace up for much distance, maybe 2 miles tops at 6mph

I don't even know what Osede is talking about because 6 miles in an hour is, yeah.

@Fondue: Sounds more like you're not mentally prepared to run. 8:55 in a walk/run for a mile sounds more like you don't want to just gut it out. Your heart rate gets up, you're probably not controlling your breathing, maybe some lower back/abdominal/calve cramps because of posture, and you start to walk. If any of that is true, it's all fixable in about 2 google searches and 5 seconds of reading.

Assuming your statement of not super out of shape is accurate, you should be able to gut out a 6-6:30 mile. Is that a good training pace? Probably not. At 15 minutes and what I'm guessing is your fitness level, 2 miles should be what you're looking for. I've always preferred running specific times but some days it's good to set a goal for distance and try to get your personal fastest time.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    What's reasonable time to run a mile for a not super out of shape 24yo ? Been running a mile and walking the difference to get to 15 min every other day and I'm down to 8:55ish but that is totally draining
    Ehh 7-8 minutes should not be a big issue for a 24-year old in ok shape imo. I am at 6:30ish if just running one mile. When I was in better cardio shape last year, I was at a ~7:50 pace per mile over a 6 mile run.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag