+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 153 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast
    Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Push/Pull/Legsx2 setup.
    Back/bis, Chest/tris, legs/shoulders/abs.
    PHAT, PHUL, 5/3/1, PH3, etc. etc.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    So I am starting to go to the gym 3 times a week and I wanted to do Upper body, legs, and core for the days. What is a good core routine in a gym? Or can I just do core at home?

I've been going to the gym for over a year now and have been getting some pretty good results. I'm not looking to get super lean and fit, I just do it cause, uhh, I dunno. I've put on a lot of muscle compared to how I used to look, it's kinda cool. I was fairly directionless and just did random things mostly. Now I want to have more of a focus so that things progress evenly and faster.
    Oblig for routine advice in general.
    Spoiler: show

Candito's free strength training routine is free online and worth checking out as well as it has actual progression thrown into it.

2 more routines that work fairly well given that you understand how to plan your own progression. Tiny/OCB

Did my best to 'earn' my (3) Thanksgiving meals this year.

Used my last Groupon pass to a crossfit "Murph" workout in the morning; 1-mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 air squats, and another 1-mile run. All with a 25lb vest on.

Ate dinner at 3 different places with minimal guilt/shame; turning down no snacks, sides, or desserts.

1pm the next day and I still feel full.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Down 51 lbs since I started lurking in this thread.

BTW does anyone have any suggestions for pre-workout drink/food/whatever? I often feel way burned out after 30-45 mins and it looks like 99% of these pre-workout things are bullshit filled with caffeine.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They're all bullshit with a tiny bit of caffeine. You're better off just drinking some black coffee, or pop a caffeine pill before a workout.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hushigoshi View Post
    They're all bullshit with a tiny bit of caffeine. You're better off just drinking some black coffee, or pop a caffeine pill before a workout.
    I already look like a junkie after lifting.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

When I first started I was using caffeine pills as recommended by the Internet. I'm very careful about what goes into my body, but recently switched to C4. It's not too too bad, full of niacin and other crap, but there are natural mixes out there as well full of coconut parts.

A lot of the time you can make your own pre-workout for 1/10th the price, but starting out with caffeine is the easiest and cheapest option, but you also don't want to take too much of that either. Expand from there.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

L-carnitine works well for me. Smooth energy boost without the jitters.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ragns View Post
    I already look like a junkie after lifting.

If you don't want caffeine in a preworkout then you flat out don't want a preworkout.

pre-ban Jack3d+1tbs beta-alanine mixed into a Rip It is the way to go

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by VeganCrossfitWOWRaidKILLA View Post
    pre-ban Jack3d+1tbs beta-alanine mixed into a Rip It is the way to go
    Did you break into my stockpile of og jack3d?

Rightnow i just mix dmaa/schizandrol/beta alanine/caffeine because my last few containers of jack3d are worth more than gold to me.

I bought multiple crates and store them in a zero humidity chamber.

Hello everyone!

Its already been a few years. Now that I finally have some spare time, I am back, and hope it stays that way for good, as I never really left BG. By the way... its unexpected and absolutely comforting not only the forum is still going strong, but most of you guys are still around, wow! It feels like nothing has changed, but I have noticed some of you have progressed a lot, very good work! Are Richardd, Atreides, Weiing, Gustave and Meat/Artaxerxes still around? They were some of the ones that got me started and upon my small look around I havent noticed them.

Anyway, I dont expect you to remember me, so a little background and I will be on to helping and contributing, encouraging and also getting motivated by your posts. BG is important for me, and this thread in particular, so I got to thank you a lot because back in the day you not only made me a better XI player, but then made me bounce back from the nasty habits to an active (probably not that healthy) lifestyle and helped me get my life in line. After a few years of training, I am way stronger, although still small, quite a hardgainer I guess. Recently started competing in powerlifting but nothing that serious so dont expect greatness, as I havent done that well and and thats unimpressive considering competition level in my country is very low. I also started practising weightlifting and I will make a full switch to that starting April... see how far I get.

Other than that, I got my right knee injured recently and odds are on lateral meniscus tear... MRI next Friday, so hoping for the best but also preparing to rehab and be back in full force as soon and well as possible. After 10 days having trouble with lots of simple movements, walking and all, finally all the basic stuff is back to normal and I am doing some drills, foam rolling, and even just started to exercise the leg in those ranges it doesnt hurt, so it doesnt atrophy as much. Being cauteous, though, at least for my retarded standards.

As for the last few posts here, I am so mirin you still got the good old jack3d!! Damn! It was the first one I took when I started and it got discontinued like two months later... At the time, I didnt think it was that good, but the ones I have taken since then just dont give the same feeling. I remember you gave that mix advice back then, Churchill, and it really did make you feel like murdering shit. It was almost unsafe to ride the motorbike on that thing, or at least thats how I remember it. Now just stick to caffeine pills. Also, huge grats to FNH, Jojo and Dasva on your weight loss, I had never had to lose as much so cant figure what it feels like. Also to Airenn, hope you keep at it and take all the steps little by little and with consistency so you reach your goals and then manage to maintain there with little trouble. Coffee junky checking in.

Glad to be back!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Welcome back.

I haven't heard from Atre in years.

Hope that you recover speedily!

And yes I'm still around too sorta, just lurking more.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Had to lower the weight again, but I have more fun with these deeper squats. No half reps here.

Gotta build up the black girl booty

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Generally a free weight only lifter, but I have swapped to a leg press machine (sled version; example below) over the past four months or so as it does not exacerbate the tendonitis in my left knee as much as free squats.

While I miss free squats for sure, I secretly do enjoy the YMCA casuals ogling the massive amount of plates haha. Did a big legs day today and finished with a few sets of 810lbs (9 plates on each side) which made me feel special, even though I know it's not a big deal really. Real free squat (back, not front) max is still around a relatively pedestrian 335 or so. I haven't done a front squat since I stopped Crossfit a couple years ago; shit kills my wrists even with forearm stretching/roll-outs.

Pretty strong these days overall for me (bench around 275-285 max depending on the day), but really need to shed some poundage now. Also need to stop doing beach muscle workouts >_> At least I don't skip leg day.

Thanks, Ayn!

I see the forum doesnt stay as active as I thought on first sight, but at least its still good as usual.

@Wulfgang: I hope I can recover my knee and get back to normal and be able to full squat "big" weights without pain or sides, but I guess its good to know stuff like leg press machine should be good as last case scenario. So far, started to DL without problem but scaling back the weight, and also did some light squats and each day I can go like 1'' deeper... we will see. Anyway, stacking plates is always cool, cant deny that. Do you do it on full range? I see people leg pressing the whole gym plates but they barely unlock the knees and back to lock, lol.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I place my feet relatively high on the platform and do just about the max range of motion on every rep; roughly the middle of my femur will touch the last rib. In short, I generally attempt to mimic hitting parallel on squats; definitely not the same, but you engage the hamstrings/glutes more with a larger range of motion. Though, I've been rolling out the hamstrings/quads more before starting lately and have been able to throw in a free squat day with fewer issues lately; hopefully that trend continues.

And where is everyone lately? I expected more New Year's fail stories. This is my favorite recent video; guy should be banned from all gyms forever, dangerous as hell.

http://deadspin.com/man-attempts-to-...ils-1754023519

Start it at 2:00

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    And where is everyone lately? I expected more New Year's fail stories.
    Nothing to report, just progressing through SL 5x5 until I get to a good amount of weight. I find that 5x5 squats every trip is getting to be a bit much in volume, but I'll fight through it with a bit more rest between set 3, 4, and 5. OHP is a struggle to get progression, might try and make some micro plates to try and progress by 2.5 lbs instead of 5.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Perhaps give 8x3 a shot to mix it up; it comes out to one less total rep, but it's just a better psychological fit for me. I've done 8x3 for most heavy lifts since HS in 2003 and I find it works well for progression, but it's largely user preference. 5x5 is a well documented program; certainly not trying to preach "8x3 > 5x5!" but changing it up can be helpful every now and then if you plateau.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag