BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Are you entering your age and weight into the machines? If you don't it's going to assume you are a five foot four 150lb person and won't be accurate. Even then it can be off. I have a heart rate monitor that also tracks the calories I burn when doing cardio and it was about a 45 calorie difference between my monitor and the elliptical
    Ah I suppose that makes sense then. Yeah I usually don't enter height or age or weight or anything into them.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Most machines it's just age/weight and it will give you a somewhat accurate gauge. I've watched my wife do an hour on the treadmill and she never enters her weight in it and it will say something like 150 calories for an hour of fast walking/slow job yet her heartrate monitor will kick out something twice like that because she has her weight entered in.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So first leg day in a bit over a year, ran a pretty heavy calorie deficit (about 600) today beforehand after factoring in all the stomping around campus I did.

Felt really good (bad) to get back into squatting and just lifting in general. Not trying to pull a calorie deficit after about an hour of lifting on leg day though so rewarding myself with some Cane's chicken. Think I'll try to skip the fries and texas toast though.

Edit: Wasn't able to avoid the fries and toast. FML, too hungry.

People don't usually deficit on leg day, right? Do you do right at maintenance or a bit of a surplus? Looking to be right at maintenance since I'm setting my calorie goal at about 1600/day to lose weight so I'll be at about 2000 after stuffing my face.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So I just started using myfitnesspal app and I just have a question.

Since I'm trying to drop some lbs I'm keeping track of the fairly long walks I have around campus (.7~.8 miles from lot to building I need to be at in 95 degree heat). I add it in to myfitnesspal (moderate speed, 3mph) and for 15-20 minutes it says I'm burning 80-100 calories just from the walk, but when I use elliptical machines at the gym or something and do it fairly hard for 10 minutes or so it says I burn like 50-60 calories.

What gives?
    I don't bother with that. I just set a specific calorie goal and use it just to log what I eat. It's too easy to undo calories lost through exercise with food so I don't even sweat it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

So first leg day in a bit over a year, ran a pretty heavy calorie deficit (about 600) today beforehand after factoring in all the stomping around campus I did.

Felt really good (bad) to get back into squatting and just lifting in general. Not trying to pull a calorie deficit after about an hour of lifting on leg day though so rewarding myself with some Cane's chicken. Think I'll try to skip the fries and texas toast though.

Edit: Wasn't able to avoid the fries and toast. FML, too hungry.

People don't usually deficit on leg day, right? Do you do right at maintenance or a bit of a surplus? Looking to be right at maintenance since I'm setting my calorie goal at about 1600/day to lose weight so I'll be at about 2000 after stuffing my face.

if you counting calories and macro:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

iifym has my "daily calorie intake" much higher than myfitnesspal. MFP had be at 2k cals and then I dropped it to 1600 for weight loss. At working out 4-5 times a week IIFYM has me at about 2700 cal and then dropping 20% of that would be about 2150 more or less.

That seems a bit high, no?

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

No thankfully my apartment complex has a 24 hour gym that has everything but a squat rack / deadlifts. They have leg press machine and other leg machines though so I'll make it work.

The .75 mile walk to and from the parking lots every day is gonna be extra fun.
    Look into bulgarian split squats. Best leg workout I've found when BB squats aren't an option. It will start cooling off soon-ish and it will be really nice. How are you liking the city/campus?

iifym has my "daily calorie intake" much higher than myfitnesspal. MFP had be at 2k cals and then I dropped it to 1600 for weight loss. At working out 4-5 times a week IIFYM has me at about 2700 cal and then dropping 20% of that would be about 2150 more or less.

That seems a bit high, no?
    Eh maybe not. Weigh yourself regularly (as in same time of day) and it should become clear pretty quick.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I really like it. Not digging being literally covered in sweat by the time I get to the physics building (I sweat a lot more than normal, sweat in MA in the winter sorta thing).

Especially bad when I get to go teach covered in sweat, always looks good.

But everything is really nice. My only complaints really are all traffic/car related. Have to remind myself that BR is a city.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Look into bulgarian split squats. Best leg workout I've found when BB squats aren't an option. .
    Awesome auxiliary even if you are hitting BB squats!

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Welp, I'm into my 3rd week now, still going pretty strong. Going through a 4 day cycle of workouts based on parts of the body I want to target on specific days. I always forget how good it feels when you really want to target a specific spot (like a fat ass or stomach or etc) and feel it being sore the next couple days while you recover.

Some of my personal stats: I'm 26, 5'10", 175~180lbs. I don't really have much muscle definition but I do have what I think is a layer of fat overtop that is kind of blanketing any sort of definition I would have. So I'm mainly trying to lean up and build up strength while not necessarily building up size. I don't really care for being bulky and thick, but more so that lean-defined look. That being said, I do know I have to put on some muscle mass to begin with in order to actually burn fat and lean up anyway. It's all a process I figure, but yeah, being mid-way through my third week, I'm feeling great!

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That's awesome! Keep it up. It was voiced many times in the last thread but do your best to track all your workouts. Either using your phone, a notepad, something. It's always in your benefit to have that information to look back at to reference what you did last time and to also look back 3-6 months and see how far you've come. Also if you haven't already, diet plays a key role in getting "toned". Even a small deficit will aid in the burning of body fat so track for caloric intake as well! Plenty of smartphone app choices; "Lose it!" "my fitness pal" and "my daily plate" are all popular choices.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My diet is probably my biggest weakness lol. I don't drink pop or even much liquor at all (like, twice a year I'll actually have wine or beer or etc), and I've managed to cut a lot of carbs out too. But the starches like rice are hard to get out of my diet (I'm indo-Canadian, rice has been a staple in my diet for as long as I can remember lol). I also find that as I work out, my appetite obviously increases, and as such, I tend to buy not so much healthy stuff at the grocery store. I'll buy an oven baked pizza or lasagna here or there, some microwave snacks or something quick when I'm feeling lazy. The counter to that is that I've started including juices and smoothies into my diet and I actually eat salad pretty regularly now lol. I finally started using a blender I've had for ages and so far it's going well. I usually jump between a sweet fruit smoothie and a more healthy apple+kale+cucumber smoothie during the week.

I work in a restaurant during the evenings. So the toughest thing is the late night snacking. It's hard to control my diet when I'm working my ass off when I should be normally eating. I've had good and bad days where I'll eat a good salad at work around 9~10pm or have a bad impulse and get fast food at like midnight when I'm off. But lately it's been getting healthier and healthier. 1 day at a time I suppose.

And I'll remember that tip about tracking my workouts. I've always had a general idea of the weights and reps and exercises I've been doing. And while the actual weight I can handle has gone up, I definitely have not done a good job of keeping up with my increases as I've gone along.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

One of the things I've kinda always taken to heart (though not sure how correct it is) is that if you're trying to lose weight never drink your calories. To this end I drink only water 99% of the time and stay away from smoothies and stuff.

Even good fruit juice is still like 100ish calories per glass with little or no protein contribution to your diet. It adds up quick.

And that there is my problem. Beer is too delicious to pass up.

I'm up 10lbs since I started the competition sitting at 5'10, 175lbs.

Banned.

BG Level

lol @ all the fat neckbeards here

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Streamed my workout today; footage is still up though I'm no longer live obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyDrNCb8DY

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

For those of you who do the chicken breast + rice + portioned out meals business how do you guys do it? Cook all the chicken breasts at once then freeze them (fridge them?)? Cook the rice all at once and put it in the fridge?

Do you portion it out into meals as soon as you cook it and like store it separately and stuff?

Thanks.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I like to cook the chicken every day for max freshness. Doesn't take but 6 mins on a foreman grill, but freezing them in a bulk cook also works.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

People give me shit for it but I cook a weeks worth and tupperware them all on Saturdays, then just take them out as I eat them. I'm told keeping chicken in the fridge for 6 days is gross, but idgaf and it tastes fine to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Gonna try to do 1 chicken breast + 1 cup white medium grain rice (sushi-ish rice) and a bit of lite teriyaki sauce until I get sick to fucking death of it per portion. Comes out to about 367 cal and 30.4g protein.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag