Page 94 of 153 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I guess this thread isn't as busy as it used to be. Here is an article discussing Myonuclei and muscle memory. http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/the...muscle-memory/

It's one of many I've read over the last few days and it makes a strong case for the old school bulk cut phases. I've read some other studies where creatine gets you to the point where you start adding myonuclei faster than without. Some supplements like Arachidonic Acid that enhance pwo inflammation may also create an ideal environment for Myonuclear accretion, where previously it was thought as bro science.
    Interesting read. I'd recommend reading about the body set-point theory; it's seemed to ring true for my dieting. I couldn't budge from 233 for years, and after cutting 11lbs, i consciously maintained 222 for a few weeks, now my body seems to have acclimated to the new weight and accepted it as the new "normal". The body keeps astounding me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Interesting read. I'd recommend reading about the body set-point theory; it's seemed to ring true for my dieting. I couldn't budge from 233 for years, and after cutting 11lbs, i consciously maintained 222 for a few weeks, now my body seems to have acclimated to the new weight and accepted it as the new "normal". The body keeps astounding me.
    Something that happens to me when I used to worry about the scale. I would be at a deficit but the scale would only move water weight here and there. Then all of a sudden it would drop 4-6 lbs and that would be my new weight. then it would take another month before I would drop another 4 lbs. There are so many factors that go into the number on the scale. Water intake, sodium, carbs/glycogen, empty fat cells holding water, creatine, and on and on. I normally try to stick with using the calipers every couple weeks or the mirror test. When I go from not active to active and supplementing (gym,creatine, multi, protein) I normally put on 12-15 lbs within the first week.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

So I'm trying to lose bodyfat right now before I bulk back up... here's the thing: I can only do cardio so many days a week; my legs need time to recover. I could swim but don't want to go down that road right now. I tried a rowing machine and that works a different set of muscles but there is still some downtime during the week when I need to rest. So:

a) Is it a good idea to try other cardio exercises while my legs rest, and if so, what?
    b) Is it bad to lift on my days off from cardio?

Right now I'm mostly running/rowing/stair-climbing, and I'd say I'm at 3 days a week of cardio, trying to push up to 4 as my legs get stronger.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Cardio is stupid for body fat loss. Unless you're planning on doing incline treadmill for 45 minutes like a bodybuilder. In case that I'd rather just shoot myself.

Reevaluate your calories, eat at a deficit, but eat enough protein to maintain muscle composition and cut back slightly on carbs so your body will burn through its glycogen storage quicker to then oxidize body fat for energy.

Keep lifting like you normally do, do cardio to make your heart and lungs stronger.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, cardio doesn't really lose body fat. 95% of it is eating.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

For realsies, if you wanna cut just figure out a deficit that'll lose you weight without doing shit, because fuck boring cardio.

If there's somewhere nice you can actually cycle, or god forbid run then do that. Otherwise kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    a) Is it a good idea to try other cardio exercises while my legs rest, and if so, what?
    b) Is it bad to lift on my days off from cardio?
    You are already overkilling it with the cardio, so stop looking for more ways to get more of it. And quite the contrary, lifting is nothing but a great idea, to be prioritized over cardio. Calories eaten and enough protein are king, however, as others have said.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

ephedrine

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Cardio for fat loss isn't going to work. Cardio for cardiovascular health will work. And you're already doing plenty with three days of it so don't add more.

If you want lower BF% then you're going to cut. Which means having a calorie deficit diet.

I like to do quick and easy "wakeup" cardio on lift days. More for getting in the mindset of "In gym, fuck outside world" than trying to build a puddle of sweat.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Weights + Cardio(HiiT/LISS or both). I have better results increasing my activity level versus lowering calories. If I drop below 2200-2400 calories I feel like shit in the gym, recovery sucks, my joints hurt and I'm hungry at bed time.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    ephedrine
    Haha when I first got into lifting fairly seriously around 8th grade, GNC's Ripped Fuel used to be loaded with real ephedrine and that shit was awesome (random heart attacks, etc. notwithstanding). Felt like you had just snorted a few gator tails; ton of energy and like no appetite.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

all good information, thanks. as for diet I just eat when I'm hungry making sure that my meals consist of lean protein, fresh produce, and complex carbs, with the odd bit of sugar and fat because I'm not perfect lol. maybe not as good as actually counting calories but I don't have the effort in me to min-max this shit, at least not right now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    all good information, thanks. as for diet I just eat when I'm hungry making sure that my meals consist of lean protein, fresh produce, and complex carbs, with the odd bit of sugar and fat because I'm not perfect lol. maybe not as good as actually counting calories but I don't have the effort in me to min-max this shit, at least not right now.
    Min/Max aside, I handle my appetite better when I eat on schedule instead of after I'm already hungry. Keeps from me ever getting hungry or craving sugars.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well it's not so much about min-max'ing, counting calories is more about being aware of actual serving sizes.

Measure out what one serving of cereal is versus the amount you normally have, you realize "oh, I'm not eating 150 calories of cereal, I'm eating 450 calories of cereal. Shit"

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yea after about a month of counting you won't need to stay on top of it as much. You'll have an idea of whats dense in calories and what is and the macro ratio.

You will also start to pick up what is needed to fuel your body and whats overkill. Like, now you need to charge up on carbs because you got a long training day incoming, or you just depleted your muscle glycogen, or you should moderate them because you had a really relaxed day and there is no need to go overboard with them at all.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

How many of ya'll have chronic injuries? Curious to see how well some of you if any are doing with managing them.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Darlantan View Post
    You will also start to pick up what is needed to fuel your body and whats overkill. Like, now you need to charge up on carbs because you got a long training day incoming, or you just depleted your muscle glycogen, or you should moderate them because you had a really relaxed day and there is no need to go overboard with them at all.
    Yep and you'll only notice this stuff if you are paying attention to both diet and your program (and sleep).

How many of ya'll have chronic injuries? Curious to see how well some of you if any are doing with managing them.
    I had some back problems in my early 20s. I have a crushed//collapsed disc at S1/L5. Gave me a issues for a years until I started gyming again. As long as I work my back I don't have any issues.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I had some back problems in my early 20s. I have a crushed//collapsed disc at S1/L5. Gave me a issues for a years until I started gyming again. As long as I work my back I don't have any issues.
    This is what i've been dealing with for the past year or so. Broken vertebrae which send pieces of bone down my spine pinching off nerves and spondyloslisthesis of 7mm, with corrective surgery being recommended for 5mm and above. I still deadlift/squat and rarely have pain other than if I lay down or sit too long but it is causing nonstop tightness in my muscles that I just can't stay on top of. Feel like I'm spending longer stretching/rolling just be able to actually do 1 lift.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I broke my growth plate in my wrist when I was 16. 10 years later I randomly get a weakness/weird uncomfortable feeling in my wrist when lifting heavy on arm or chest day. Luckily for me it's rare (maybe 1/20 workouts).

I used to use a wrap on my wrist for extra support which did help, but as I've grown stronger I try to rely as little as possible on anything so I've stopped using the wrap. I'm a strong believer in listening to your body and letting it heal itself.

Im sorry to any physical therapists out there and what not, but I personally believe it's best just to not even know what's actually wrong with you and to just listen to your body if you have any pains. If you have pain, rest enough, but also work the muscles around the painful area to help strengthen that problem area.

I dont really know how to say it in words, but the minute you find out you have a herniated disc or loss of cartilage or whatever it gives you a mental excuse to constantly think about that pain and use it as a excuse to not work out. I guess id kinda consider it like a placebo effect. Again just my personal opinion.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag