+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 153 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 ... LastLast
    Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    Im sorry to any physical therapists out there and what not, but I personally believe it's best just to not even know what's actually wrong with you and to just listen to your body if you have any pains. If you have pain, rest enough, but also work the muscles around the painful area to help strengthen that problem area.

I dont really know how to say it in words, but the minute you find out you have a herniated disc or loss of cartilage or whatever it gives you a mental excuse to constantly think about that pain and use it as a excuse to not work out. I guess id kinda consider it like a placebo effect. Again just my personal opinion.
    It is a constant mind fuck for DL/squats, damn near impossible to feel comfortable doing them anymore. Only thing that really helps me besides overdosing on preworkout is lifting with someone I trust to tell me shit is looking wrong, cuz everything feels wrong post injury.. I am glad I know whats wrong though, after I broke my vertebrae I somehow kept forcing myself to lift as all was normal because i'm not good at recognizing pain like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Exactly. Especially with something like deadlifts you'll be focused more on your injury than you will be doing the actual workout and perfecting your form.

It also makes you more cautious and less likely to push through the pain which you need to do in order to actually help your back.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    How many of ya'll have chronic injuries? Curious to see how well some of you if any are doing with managing them.
    I think feedback would vary widely depending on the injury. I tore my ACL/MCL/LCL completely in my right knee when I was 17 wrestling in nationals (got surprised by a single leg takedown from this beast at Blair Academy); there's not much I can do for that outside of warm-ups/plyo, but it's actually pretty ok these days.

I have acute tendonitis in my left knee that is super annoying though. I generally just take ibuprofen combined with a lot of quad stretching/rolling when it flairs up (ortho believes it's the tightness in my quads that exacerbates it). If it gets really bad, sometimes I just have to stop squats altogether for 2-4 weeks.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've been doing that sean9mm starting strength alternating 3x a week since the end of November and I feel like my leg stuff (squats/deadlifts) are still making progress but my arms are going nowhere.

I can barely bench 95 5x, my bent over row is pathetic, and my overhead press is even worse. I dont have anyone to spot me so i could possibly bench a little more if i wasnt afraid of necking myself but thats still pushing it and none of these have gone up significantly since I started.

how do i get stronker arms? I'll admit i started with limp noodles for body composition but I have gained like 15 lbs in 3 months

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    have acute tendonitis in my left knee that is super annoying though. I generally just take ibuprofen combined with a lot of quad stretching/rolling when it flairs up (ortho believes it's the tightness in my quads that exacerbates it). If it gets really bad, sometimes I just have to stop squats altogether for 2-4 weeks.
    Should be stretching it, along with stretching your hip flexors and foam rolling the front of your shins, every day, no matter how it's feeling. Treat it as a preventative measure, rather than a temporary fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I have patellar tendonitis in my left hip and a minor meniscus tear in my left kneecap. The leg is fucked. You can imagine how much more I enjoy leg day compared to the typical gym bro.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    I've been doing that sean9mm starting strength alternating 3x a week since the end of November and I feel like my leg stuff (squats/deadlifts) are still making progress but my arms are going nowhere.

I can barely bench 95 5x, my bent over row is pathetic, and my overhead press is even worse. I dont have anyone to spot me so i could possibly bench a little more if i wasnt afraid of necking myself but thats still pushing it and none of these have gone up significantly since I started.

how do i get stronker arms? I'll admit i started with limp noodles for body composition but I have gained like 15 lbs in 3 months
    Besides with a few people, I've always noticed overhead to be harder so that's normal. Is the problem with your benching in your arms or in your chest though?

I've successfully been gaining a shit load of strength by increasing weights after each set. Start with just bar for a warm up set of 10, add 10s (65lbs) and do 5, add another 10lbs on each side (85lbs) and do another 5. Add 5 lbs each side (you should be at 95lbs now) and do another 5. Then do 2-3 more sets of 5 with the 95 lbs. If you're feeling ballsy add another 5lbs on each side (105lbs) and do 1-2, but do it slowly and do it properly. You'll feel the burn. Do something similar to this for every exercise and make sure not to rest long inbetween sets.

I'd also do arm day 2x a week. I'm currently training an old friend of mine who's maybe 120lbs and has a hard time lifting just the bar 10x. Getting his arm strength up is a priority for me so we've been doing lots of Bi's and tri's

Edit: And for anyone whos not i highly recommend drinking BCAA's during your workout. Shit makes an absolutely ginormous difference in endurance and how sore you feel the next day.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

@Panda damn I can't even call me an injury compared to that. I find it interesting you have the same results though. It doesn't bother me I keep in shape.
    @Hush- that's one thing I did learn from doing CrossFit for a bit. A little maintenance on your body goes a long ways on preventing injury.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Bulking has been pretty successful so far. Up 15 lbs of muscle since January 9th. Aiming for 170 lbs. I'm at 164 right now. Once I hit 170 I'm gonna reevaluate myself and either stay there or go for 175. Need a good strength/weight ratio.

Pic:
    Spoiler: show

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Nice. How tall are you? Looking jacked for 175.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

So for Cardio what are some good exercises to do indoors without equipment?

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Masturbate mostly.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    So for Cardio what are some good exercises to do indoors without equipment?
    Burpees if you want to hate your life. Otherwise go with masturbate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    Bulking has been pretty successful so far.
    Looking beastly man, pretty clean bulk as well, keep it up! What happened with the ninja stuff, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    How many of ya'll have chronic injuries? Curious to see how well some of you if any are doing with managing them.
    I have had 2 bulging discs for over a decade now, got them due to stupid body postures sustained for long periods of time and a few unlucky falls, all of it as a child. At first it was tough as fuck and I would be KO for 2 months, then get better and forget about it, then KO again within the same year. I read up on it and got into lifting to strengthen my back to help with it, and its been great, not perfect, but definitely good as in the next 10 years I have maybe had 2-3 episodes and they felt less tough than they were back then.

Nontheless, my back is sore most of the time and its something that I just live with. When I workout (competitive powerlifter now, mind you), there is always a "ghost pinch" that I feel. Like, it doesnt usually hurt, but you know if your technique goes off or train too much you will get hurt. I also am more mindful of my posture all day through, can only sleep on my back and need to find a comfortable spot as low back often feels bad. Almost everytime I finish showering I put the water cold and hit my lower back and knees, then hot, then cold again. Routine stuff I do now without really thinking about it and helps me live like there is nothing wrong.

The last few months I was recovering from a knee surgery and had an awesome ride of day to day improvements for 8 months. Then I tried another PR on DL, bar was going rather speedy (dont try PRs if I think they will not happen) and then BOOM, the low back pinch killed me. Had to stop deadlifting for 3 weeks, and in the next month and a half I still havent gone over 85% of that weight. But I will get back there and destroy that motherfucker, I guess I was born for the grind... hate it and love it. Kind of what FFXI was, haha.

Onto the knees, they are always worrysome as well so I am kind of cautious and take good care of them, because I lift heavy and run 3-5 times a week. I have a discoid meniscus on the right one that was destroyed and had to get surgery on it 13 months ago. Right now as I kind of said I am recovered and run faster than ever, and lift heavier. There is not a single day the knee doesnt pop like crazy, though. Then again, there is not a single day there is not something else that bothers me, be it the left knee, one of the elbows, shoulders, traps, calves... so I just go with it, try to take care of everything so it doesnt become an injury, get a physiotherapist session when I can, foam roll (should do this more often) and warmup properly, etc.

Due to this injury + surgery I went from a nearly national squat record to not be able to walk. I compete the 1st of April and will go for the record again... up and down. Same happened when I tweaked my ankle a few times playing soccer and would go backwards months of work. Now I dont play anymore aside from time to time with friends, its just too injury prone, or I am. Lifting and even running I can control more of the variables and is what I love and what I need to do... Ok, enough for now. I am sorry for the wall of text and the millions of language mistakes I likely made.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I've torn my rhomboid muscles twice in my life (the push/pull muscles in your back). Doing back exercises causes me excruciating pain the next day, but I have to push through or else my whole body's strength will be off. 3 years of lifting and I can still only deal with benching a single set of 45lb plates, it's very embarrassing. I kind of grit through it and go for volume versus max weight; better to have slow, steady gains than to push the muscle and risk further damage.

On another topic, i'm looking ahead to beach weather and noticing im still making very little to no gains in my calves. It's stressing me out. I really don't want to look like a guy that skips leg day, when I don't.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I'd say as long as you got bitching quads you shouldn't feel too bad. aren't calves very particular with genetics and shit? When I judge people I usually skip over the calves for that reason

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So my gym has an endless rope machine that I've walked by a million times and never used. After my last workout, I ended up wanting to get the heart rate up a bit before leaving, so I started doing one minute interval sets with the rope. Huge fan of this thing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My lower back is pretty jacked from learning how to trick while i was younger in martial arts. I got into heavier lifting and started DLs and it changed everything with how my back is and feels. It also taught me to keep good form because early on my back would scream and I'd lose all ability to want to live when i tweaked it the wrong way on the lift. Now i only ever feel it occasionally on heavy lifts and if I'm not focused properly.
    I did something to my right shoulder that I'm working through that makes it painful to turn or lift my head, much less do any kind of lifts that require my shoulder to move.
    Foam rolling and pin point stretching ala yoga therapy helps to maintain my back now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    On another topic, i'm looking ahead to beach weather and noticing im still making very little to no gains in my calves. It's stressing me out. I really don't want to look like a guy that skips leg day, when I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    I'd say as long as you got bitching quads you shouldn't feel too bad. aren't calves very particular with genetics and shit? When I judge people I usually skip over the calves for that reason
    What Koul said... good luck with that. I have been working on them like mad for years and started to give up, they wont grow. Then after my surgery last year, not just the inner quad but the right calve got badly atrophied and hit them hard again, just to get them to grow to almost normal and thats it. By normal I mean you cant tell I lift if you just look at them.

EDIT: I know of people who are on juice, hit them hard, soft, with higher or lower frequency and their calves wont grow... its that bad. Then again, you should still try and there is a chance you will get what you wont, dont just give up. Just be ware the outcome may not be what you are shooting for.

BG Level

Chronic injuries: broke L4/L5, pinched root nerve, disks above, below, and between are sorta boned. Broke right elbow and had it pinned incorrectly when I was a kid, two surgeries to dig out junk in the joint and to re-anchor the ulnar nerve.

I delt with it until about 2004, when I finally said ok fucking enough, what in the hell is wrong, my legs go numb, etc. Turns out I had broke the two vertebrae in 2000, and it hadn't shown up on any xrays (found it after getting a transverse plaNE view, confirmed w/ MRI afterwards ).

Now, the back doesnt bother me a whole lot as long as I stay within what I know is safe to do. I stick a toe outside of that, and I'm liable to have difficulty even walking for a few days.

My advice would be: do not ever stop being active. You will loose strength and range of motion rapidly and if you're used to being active, you'll balloon right the fuck up (eating worse than fucking smoking to stop).

Right now I am recovering from acute deep vein thrombosis no one is really sure how I developed. Been a year now and I only have one clot left (out of the 3 I started with) and the doc says it has likely cysted up so I'll be off blood thinners soon. After that it's back to the gym to loose some of my big fat ass.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag