+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 153 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    Cs is not that tall don't forget.

Also can you get some higher fat turkey meat? What I do when my fat gets to low.
    Don't eat bird fat, very high polyunsaturated %. Monounsaturated and tallow are what I like. Also coconut oil!

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    Cs is not that tall don't forget.

Bleh; with at least 1hr exercise a day 7 days a week, and gym 4 days a week; w/ a mixture of high intensity cardio (obstacle course) and all the biking I do, I should not be gaining weight at 2000 cals

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

BG Fitness Fanatics II: We Work Out

Progress report on my fat ass:

Was about 210-215 max when I moved down here to LA a month ago. Down to about 195-197 now. (At least 5 lbs, maybe more, was water weight. My sodium intake was so ridiculous before moving down.)

Have gone up 90 lbs in squats from when I started getting back into it. Have gone back up about 30lbs/dumbbell for chest press. Generally feeling much better about life despite not being able to walk after leg day right now.

Still a ways to go but this heavy calorie deficit has been really helping. Not too mention how cheesy it is that my body kinda remembers the strength I was at when I was in shape.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Powerblocks came in today. They are damn sweet! I got the elite 90lb Classic or whatever.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Still dropping fat but finally hit a new PR for squats for first time in 3 years. Did 3x5 at 240 today. Coming up from my previous highest of about 210, was just in a good fucking mood and wanted to lift heavy.

Also slightly related for Moss: I just was at the girls volleyball game. Holy fuck. I love this school.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Nice. Keep us posted on how you do. Are you changing your training volume or frequency since in a deficit?

I'm still struggling on the catch (lockout) on the snatch and the jerk. I was able to Rx Isabel the other day (135# Snatch 30 reps).
    A few pages back, but an update. Since it was my first time competing, I just wanted to go out there and have fun. So I decided to stay at the 85kg weight division for my competition and not worry about dropping to 77kg. Weighed in today at 83kg.
    Declared my Snatch opener at 85kg. Miss-timed my warm up and was too anxious on my first lift and pressed it out and got a no rep.
    Second attempt declared 90kg, and nailed it.
    Set my third attempt at 93kg, ripped a callous off as I was dropping down into the receiving position and felt it immediately and couldn't complete the lift. If I didn't rip my hand open I would have had it and a new PR.

Clean and Jerk opener was set at 110kg, got that no problem.
    Second Attempt at 120kg and solidly got that.
    Declared third attempt at 122, then switched to 123 to get some more rest. 123kg felt light and hit it no problem for a new PR.

In the end, they used the sinclair coefficient to calculate the ranking for this since we had only 9 males competing. I ended up taking fourth overall with a sinclair total of 257. The top three winners have actually qualified for Youth and Junior nationals so they were very decent and I had no problems losing to them haha.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Nice, that was a very good results

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks. Like I said it was a lot of fun and a good change of pace from the competition I'm used to doing (karate). There's another meet in February that I think I'm going to compete in. Since I was curious, I looked up the numbers I have to put up to qualify for nationals. Bare minimum total is like 284, so that's theoretically having to hit a 124kg snatch and a 160kg C&J. Got a long ways to go lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Bleh; with at least 1hr exercise a day 7 days a week, and gym 4 days a week; w/ a mixture of high intensity cardio (obstacle course) and all the biking I do, I should not be gaining weight at 2000 cals
    Actually suppose that you should not gain any weight at 2500 cals. I think I am similar height as you, my intake around 2200 cal per day, which cause me hardly lose any fat at this point. Everything just out equal to in.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm doing 1400 for my cut lol. I hate this shit. Trying to get back to single digit BF though before my next anime convention

E. Body
    BG Level

Can anyone drop me a good overview of push/pull workouts, which part of each muscle is worked with each workout and a good skeleton of a workout plan? It's been explained to me that push exercises work chest and tris, pulls are for back and bis and that focusing on one group a day is generally a good idea.

Right now I'm planning push/pull/shoulders/push/pull/legs/off day with some 3-6 mile jogs sprinkled in a few times a week. Just need help on getting started, I've always been more of a runner than a lifter.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

At about a 600 calorie deficit, working out 5 days a week, plus some small amounts of cardio mixed in.

Stomach fat will just not yield. Fuck you, stomach fat.

250lb squats 3x4 and 3x10 65lb dumbbell presses though. yey.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It'll fuck off with time, keep up the good work.

I'm eating a good 2,500+ calories a day or so and I've somehow still maintained (and even lost 2 lbs) over the past few weeks.

Lots of free food at work = a second breakfast with 3-4 of muffins, cinnabuns, scones, and/or pastries every day (as opposed to my usual chobani, apple, and sometimes peanut butter). And 2-4 of brownies, cookies, and cheesecake squares at lunch.

I don't really understand it. I was prepared to weigh-in 5lb heavier at least this past week, but I weighed in 1lb lighter, hitting my low for the year of 172lbs.

I am running more lately (~5-6m a week?), but still.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This thread has gone so dead lately! Everyone stopped lifting?

Also I think I've hit my wall with squats finally. Did 3x4 275lbs and I'll be there for a few weeks. I'd say my biggest problem is just how absolutely heavy the 275lbs feels weighing down on my body. Does that get easier with just getting stronger overall? I can't imagine going up more weight, while also losing weight, and having it stress my body less.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm lifting still, still far behind the numbers I was at before I started getting hit by busses and shit though so there's really nothing to post about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I'm lifting still, still far behind the numbers I was at before I started getting hit by busses and shit though so there's really nothing to post about.
    CS, the bus was testing you and you failed. Level up further and go back and take it on.

At about a 600 calorie deficit, working out 5 days a week, plus some small amounts of cardio mixed in.

Stomach fat will just not yield. Fuck you, stomach fat.
    Tried carb cycling?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I don't know what those words mean, so no.

Edit: I also have what may be a temporary problem, but it's annoying. I'm squatting 3x4 / 3x5 275 which is the most I've ever done by far, DLing 210+, and working in regular leg days and I still feel like I'm in danger of going full chicken legs. I don't know what to do to make my legs grow like my upper body is besides increasing cals which is counter my "I want to lose my stomach fat" process. My upper body is still getting big at a deficit, and my legs are absolutely gaining strength, but not size.

What gives?

I've been exercising a little less lately, mostly because of the cooler weather and a barrage of 12-hour days at work. Still in my comfort zone for a minimum if I can get in 4 strength training days (still do 4-day body splits) and the occasional soccer game/class.

Still keeping track of it lol

Classes can be anything from soccer games [most often, though max of 1 per week usually], to yoga, to boot camp, to cross fit during the month of April, to kettlebell stuffs, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Edit: I also have what may be a temporary problem, but it's annoying. I'm squatting 3x4 / 3x5 275 which is the most I've ever done by far, DLing 210+, and working in regular leg days and I still feel like I'm in danger of going full chicken legs. I don't know what to do to make my legs grow like my upper body is besides increasing cals which is counter my "I want to lose my stomach fat" process. My upper body is still getting big at a deficit, and my legs are absolutely gaining strength, but not size.

What gives?
    Upper body tends to be much easier to put on mass/size than lower body, for most people I've seen. Particularly if you've trained your upper body before, but are only recently pushing legs just as hard.

And yeah, it's also going to be difficult while on a deficit. And there's also a level of genetics at play, as far as how you fill out and where and how fast/easily.

If you're worried about the chicken legs feeling, I'd recommend dropping the weight back and doing more reps. Or really, I'd recommend it even if you're not worried - doing a lot of weight that you're new to, on a deficit, and on compound movements is a little risky. As much as it's fun to push around a lot of weight and feels good to see measurable progress, you'll be kicking yourself if you end up hurting something.

By the sound of it, you've also gained in numbers pretty quickly, so it might be good to kick it back a little bit.

Personally, I rarely ever squat more than 225lbs now - for like the past 2 years straight. 5 sets of 8 reps going low and slow is enough to bring my legs close to jello, and on days where it doesn't I just slow it down or maybe toss in another set, or superset it with front squats or lunges or something similar.

Despite that I've still gained in size/mass and strength. I'm sure if I wanted to I could probably do a ton of weight for 3x5s or something similar, but I honestly don't have a desire to so long as I can get the same or similar results at a safer weight.

obligatory current legs, alla ~3 weeks ago:
    Spoiler: show
    http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9996/g26ZIO.jpg

fuck running btw, gd I hate it but I keep doing it

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I don't know what those words mean, so no.
    According to a lot of write ups and shit i've been reading in, the closer you get to your goal weight the more you will struggle to even get there due to "BODY SCIENCE", there was actual reasoning but fuck if I can remember. Basically was talking about carb cycling and having one day where you consume a lot of carbs (obviously not overkill aka 4 pizzas) and for the rest of the week you limit carbs drastically. I have not tried it myself so grain of salt on that, I know CS did intermittent fasting which seemed to work for him I believe.

Could be legit, could be a gimmicky thing like the whole "Change up your routine to fool your body" crap that pops up here and there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 153 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag