+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 153 FirstFirst ... 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 ... LastLast
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    When I started lifting I started with powerlifting back when Shiro was still here. I then moved to proper powerlifting with heavy accessories and then bodybuilding for the last 9 months exclusively.
    Good stuff. I've been lifting on and off for a long time now but feel like I've been missing out, just now getting into legit programming. Too much time spent on SS and SL5x5. Only upside is the gains come much easier now

If anyone is curious, I've been using the programs on barbellmedicine.com , starting with The Bridge 1.0 (free). I'd recommend it to anyone that's spent enough time on a basic program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 to be comfortable doing the main lifts and past the newbie gains stage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can't believe i'm posting here. exercise has always been pure torture to me. i have the HP of a tiny mandragora. but here i am, because dieting just doesn't seem to work with me, regardless if it's calorie cutting, keto, Mediterranean, or eliminating soda/juice. i figured since nothing seems to work well, i might as well just try to build muscle - if i want to look good i might as well start off with...trying to look good, and see if the weight issue solves itself over time. (or at least gets less problematic.)

right now i'm 260 lb, 6' 0". it doesn't look as bad as it sounds, because i either have some hidden muscle under there, or it mostly went to the hips. a lot of people think i weigh less than i do. I am capable of short bursts of strength but it's more like lifting 70-80 lb, nothing special. as far as special issues that might be a problem - mostly i have rather low stamina, sinuses that love to get stuffed up all the time (it's not allergies, it's just a constant stuffiness i've never figured out the cause of - antihistamines do nothing.) i also have lower back issues from standing for long periods of time, and my right shoulder hurts on occasion. mainly the top back side of the shoulder itself near the arm, and the back of the right side of the neck muscles. the other main issue is obviously, a lack of money. D: i'm dirt poor, so gym memberships are probably a no-go. the only gym that's 24 hour is anytime fitness next to my work. the rest are all closed by the time i get off work.

as far as goals, i wouldn't mind looking super buff like milkster :D but that's clearly an obviously a non-beginner goal. right now i'm hoping to build muscle to help lose weight and hopefully ease some of the pain in my body. i'm guessing that would mean more of the core exercises to help the back, and probably lower body exercises? id rather be bottom heavy on muscle rather than top heavy - seems more balanced that way.

should i follow the regimen Rkenshin posted on this page, or is that a bad idea for someone starting out from like... no exercise at all? right now my confidence and willpower is at a complete low so i'm trying to go for the biggest, easiest gains first, to get the ball rolling. i would've thought that lifting the 30 packs of beer at work that half the customers seem to buy while standing all day would do something, but for some reason exercise isn't that easy.

Just need to hammer this point in: If you are "dieting" and not losing weight, you are not tracking correctly 99.9% of the time. You are eating more than you think. If you want more info, just review other posts here. I know many, myself included, have gone into a deep dive on what happens when people don't lose weight and what it normally means.

If that is not the case, you need to see a doctor about your thyroid.

As far as pain goes, you need to be very careful about lifting if you are having pain. Focus on form over everything, don't ego lift. As a tall person, who used to be massively overweight, back problems were also an issue for me. Even after losing a lot of weight i still had issues, but it all went away after focusing on back work. As my DL's went up, my back pain went down (Don't think i've had pain in my back in years now). Again, form over all.

Anytime Fitness is a good overall gym. I used them for my 1st two years and they have 99.9% of what you need (Been to about 4, most of them had the important stuff/free weights).

You can follow what Rkenshin posted, sure. That said, you need to take it slow. Almost everyone i've seen start out hitting the gym hard fails. All it takes is one injury, and people use that to stop. Take it very slow, get used to going to the gym 1st, then start to slowly push yourself harder.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

As my DL's went up, my back pain went down (Don't think i've had pain in my back in years now)
    Same experience for me. I had major back problems in my early 20s. Slipped disc, couldn't walk for weeks. I had a limp for years until I started working out. I'm 34 now and don't remember what it's like to have back issues. I've pulled 500 on DL and cleaned 315+.

Don't know if you guys remember but I had a full Achilles rupture 11 months ago with surgery to repair. Made it through a 5k without a limp for the first time this week. Shit sucks. I want to add some agility drills with cones to my workout.

Now I live in constant fear that my other one is going to pop.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post

should i follow the regimen Rkenshin posted on this page, or is that a bad idea for someone starting out from like... no exercise at all? right now my confidence and willpower is at a complete low so i'm trying to go for the biggest, easiest gains first, to get the ball rolling. i would've thought that lifting the 30 packs of beer at work that half the customers seem to buy while standing all day would do something, but for some reason exercise isn't that easy.
    Agree with all of Yabby's advice except I'd recommend starting with a simple program like Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple and straightforward and it has a great app for easy tracking

As long as Anytime Fitness has squat racks (not just Smith machines), it will do fine. There are variations you can do eventually but the back squat is such an important exercise that you really need to learn it.

As Yabby said, form is important. Watch form videos on YouTube (I recommend Alan Thrall's) over and over. Watch them at home and watch them before you do the lifts.

The diet you follow is irrelevant - you have to be at a caloric deficit to lose weight. Start counting calories religiously. You can use an app like MyFitnessPal or just use an Excel spreadsheet. Record everything including drinks and snacks. A food scale is helpful and cheap. I'd start by reducing your calories by 500/day from what it was previously and weigh yourself every morning first thing. After a few weeks you'll be able to figure out if your caloric intake needs to be reduced further.

For someone just getting started, the most important thing is that you drag your ass to the gym on the given dates and don't skip. Create a habit. It doesn't matter if you feel tired from work or whatever, even if you can't lift as much as usual. Personally it's easier for me if I go to the gym right after work and don't go home first.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Same experience for me. I had major back problems in my early 20s. Slipped disc, couldn't walk for weeks. I had a limp for years until I started working out. I'm 34 now and don't remember what it's like to have back issues. I've pulled 500 on DL and cleaned 315+.

Don't know if you guys remember but I had a full Achilles rupture 11 months ago with surgery to repair. Made it through a 5k without a limp for the first time this week. Shit sucks. I want to add some agility drills with cones to my workout.

Now I live in constant fear that my other one is going to pop.
    Ugh Achilles make me paranoid. Did you do it playing sports?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Ugh Achilles make me paranoid. Did you do it playing sports?

Basketball. But I was just jogging down court when it popped.

Been looking for a good set of jeans for a while now. For the last 3+ years, I've been wearing these jeans that are 38w 34L, which i need to have a belt for or they fall off (Otherwise, i love them). I've been trying to find some thing to replace them so that I don't have to wear a fucking belt every time i want jeans, but it is getting harder and harder. I went and tried on jeans at a few places and any time i get something that fits my waist, my thighs get squeezed so hard it is hard to sit down without pulling the waist down (Balls are not too happy either). All of these jeans were "Relaxed Fit" and anything regular and below will not even go up my legs.

Question is, which brand of jeans and type are you wearing. I don't think i have proportions that are so out of bounds that i can't find fucking jeans right now.

The waist is about 32
    L = 34
    Thighs = 25.5

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Calvin Klein Relaxed if you can find them,

Or Buckle. Their jeans are all very stretchy so they work, if you can handle the annoying AF employees hounding you. I've heard good things about Duluth trading company jeans for people in our situation, but I don't have a store local so i can't attest.

Dont worry, finding jeans has been the bane of my existance for the past few years. I have bodybuilder thighs and an actual ass from working out, and "skinny as possible" being "in" right now does not make life easy.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Been looking for a good set of jeans for a while now. For the last 3+ years, I've been wearing these jeans that are 38w 34L, which i need to have a belt for or they fall off (Otherwise, i love them). I've been trying to find some thing to replace them so that I don't have to wear a fucking belt every time i want jeans, but it is getting harder and harder. I went and tried on jeans at a few places and any time i get something that fits my waist, my thighs get squeezed so hard it is hard to sit down without pulling the waist down (Balls are not too happy either). All of these jeans were "Relaxed Fit" and anything regular and below will not even go up my legs.

Question is, which brand of jeans and type are you wearing. I don't think i have proportions that are so out of bounds that i can't find fucking jeans right now.

The waist is about 32
    L = 34
    Thighs = 25.5
    Not to sound obvious but have you tried Levi's? My thighs are 24" and I can still get away with wearing their slim 512s.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Calvin Klein Relaxed if you can find them,

Or Buckle. Their jeans are all very stretchy so they work, if you can handle the annoying AF employees hounding you. I've heard good things about Duluth trading company jeans for people in our situation, but I don't have a store local so i can't attest.

Dont worry, finding jeans has been the bane of my existance for the past few years. I have bodybuilder thighs and an actual ass from working out, and "skinny as possible" being "in" right now does not make life easy.
    Thighs and ass are the primary reason i need 34L, and this fucking skinny shit is just sad. Even if you have small legs, i don't get the idea of enjoying something putting your dick and balls in a choke hold. I remember trying to test just how small these skinny jeans are. Even with getting a size 40 W i couldn't get them above my fucking knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Not to sound obvious but have you tried Levi's? My thighs are 24" and I can still get away with wearing their slim 512s.

Levi's is what i spend most of my time today trying on

I will say the two stores i went to might not have had the correct "style" which is why i asked in my other post. The jeans i currently wear are their 556/557 something like that. Which i could not find in the store. I do remember the 512's, but they got really tight when i sat down.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

sweat pants

I live in those currently, but going to the bar in sweat pants is a little.... meh

GATTACA!

BG Level

Levi's is what i spend most of my time today trying on

I will say the two stores i went to might not have had the correct "style" which is why i asked in my other post. The jeans i currently wear are their 556/557 something like that. Which i could not find in the store. I do remember the 512's, but they got really tight when i sat down.
    Yeah, the 512s are almost too tight on me so I'd imagine they'd be too much on you, but maybe if you find the the next "style" up it will work.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There are two Levi's I wear religiously one is slightly stretchy which is great for my thighs and I never wear a belt. I'll check the numbers when I get home.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

https://symmetricstrength.com/

So how have you guys improved over 2018?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The waist is about 32
    L = 34
    Thighs = 25.5
    How about lee cooper? I know that Muji is for skinny tight as I have a pair before, which end up had to buy with 2 inch waist above my size... bought one Lee Cooper last year because it was cheaper in Msia, which has a cutting that fit my tight.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Possible silly question. I haven't been able to do the exercising I used to do for a variety of reason (having to watch kids, being completely overwhelmed at work, etc.).

Our house doesn't have space for like a treadmill or anything, but I was think of getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...gateway&sr=8-4

Because I could easily store it under our futon, and it wouldn't take up a lot of space when using (can do it while watching TV every night for like an hour or so.)

Think it's worth it?

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The waist is about 32
    L = 34
    Thighs = 25.5
    American Eagle is good. Also Levi or Wrangler. Diesel if you wanna drop some coin.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag