+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 153 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 146 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    My advice would be: do not ever stop being active.
    Some of the best advice ever, 100% spot on. Hope you recover soon from the clots thing and resume your lifting, Mallister!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So, question time!

I'm 5'8, 222.5. Wasn't happy with my weight loss last month, about 6lbs. This week I went to 1800 calories (150-200 a day from carbs), upped my gym from 3 times a week to 5, increased the intensity of my cardio, and started doing a lot more weights. I was hoping to see at least a 2lb drop this week considering that I cut calories, added two gym days, added more lifting, increased cardio intensity... Gained almost a lb. Not quite sure how the fuck this happened. It's incredibly frustrating given the extra effort I put in. I feel amazing, more energy, been sleeping 7-8 hours a night, waking up feeling great, but dat fuckin scale is making it hard to want to continue.

Any kinds of adjustments I should do here? Should I lift less and just do like an hour or more of cardio five days a week? I've cut down to 1200 calories a day and less than 50g of carbs for a month before, and barely touched the gym, and that worked fucking awesome for weight loss, but caused other problems, so I don't want to repeat that.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

muscle weighs more than fat, if you are working out ignore number on the scale.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wouldn't that imply i'm putting on muscle in the same amount as losing? (Combined with other factors, water weight, etc), which, I know nothing here, would feel nuts? People can't just pack on several lbs of muscle a week... Right? >_>

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    I feel amazing, more energy, been sleeping 7-8 hours a night, waking up feeling great, but dat fuckin scale is making it hard to want to continue.

Any kinds of adjustments I should do here?

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    Wouldn't that imply i'm putting on muscle in the same amount as losing? (Combined with other factors, water weight, etc), which, I know nothing here, would feel nuts? People can't just pack on several lbs of muscle a week... Right? >_>
    Early on they can.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BG Fitness Fanatics II: We Work Out

Scale means shit starting out. Water retention due to change in diet will make you lose a shit load of weight or not lose anything for the first 6 to 12 weeks. If anything do circumference measurements around your chest (around nipples), waist (around navel), and hips (around your ass) along with body fat percentage. Most commercial gym have 2-3 of those handheld bioelectrical impedance measurement tools you can use. Or ask a trainer if they got a few minutes to spare to do the pinch calibers. A good trainer can knock that out in 3-5 mins tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

So far everyone has hit the nail on the head, but I'll add a few pointers since I'm cutting as well:

1. Weight loss is not linear. I wish every weight loss guide would bold that statement so it would be more well known. My biggest dips in weight always followed a gain in weight.
    2. Scales suck and shouldn't be used for anything more than a rough guide. Your real test is as mentioned above, get a tailor's measuring tape, found at most crafting stores, and measure that way.
    3. Up your water intake for a day or two to make sure you're flushing excess sodium, then take your weight after you've emptied yourself, first thing in the morning. Make sure you didn't eat heavy the night before. You should be weighing yourself no more than once a week.

If I had to guess, you're seeing an increase in weight because your body is adjusting to the increased intensity. You'll retain water for a good week or so until your body adjusts to the extra movement. Give it another week or so, keep the water flowing, and see where you are. I'd also recommend doing a "refeed" day where you go slightly above maintenance to give your body a break and not let it get too complacent with the defect. It's pushed me past a few plateaus so far.

Oh, and sidenote, but creatine adds water weight. So beware.

To my own achievement; went from 233 to 220. Seeing a nice, round number like that is really invigorating. I'm starting to see a V-taper on my torso and that makes me giddy as a 8 year old on Christmas morning. My cravings for sugar keep dropping too. Think I'll be happy at 205, but I'll see how I look then before making a decision. Seems heavy for someone at 6ft tall, but I have broad shoulders and my body just seems solid in general.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Thanks for the responses Was feeling a bit down after a bunch of effort, and had convinced myself I was doing things improperly!

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Does anyone have any recipes or recommendations for a breakfast shake that I can prepare the night before ala overnight oats/oats overnight that is low carb?

I usually have to make one in the morning but I'm tired of it and I loved oats overnight but I'd like a carbless option. Currently I blend a whey/pb/spinach shake but using the blender at 5am is getting old.

I know there's "noatmeal" recipes out there but I thought those were consume after preparing type deal.

I could always just do something like egg cups/muffins or something you just pop in the microwave but I haven't found a recipe for those I like that keeps me as satisfied as a shake. They're always like 6eggs, whites and cream to make 12 cups but shit I want at least one egg per.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm on one of my crazy cuts again. Started my diet way too late, so making up for it with gratuitous cardio and unhealthily low calories. 10 more days to go.

Starting the week from Monday, this puts me at 190ish miles for the week. (+5 miles to get from home to where we started the ride; 3 miles off 40, which I'll cover going to the store 2nite)

Monday - 20
    Tuesday - 40
    Wednesday - 17 (was supposed to be 20 popped a flat)
    Thursday - Ran my obstacle course instead; but even that is a 6 mile trip when counting both ways
    Friday - 5-10
    Saturday - 60
    Sunday - 40 (expected, currently at 37)

Hit the gym 5 times this week, and my obstacle course the one time mentioned.

I still have leg day today, but going to definitely nap first.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What bike are you riding CS? Also are you on strava?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm not. I don't have data. I use prepaid minutes/texting (I spend about 40 dollars on it a year. Only have internet when using wifi)

and I'm riding a pinarello fp2 (I think 2009 or 2010)

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You don't need data for strava, it just uses GPS + any other sensors you've got ( cadence/heart rate/etc - for stupid reasons it uses its own gps based speed calculations but wont let you see live output from a speed sensor ).
    You upload on wifi when you get back.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

hmm. There was something I didn't like about the app. Can't remember. when i first downloaded cyclemeter, I also downloaded strava, but ended up liking cyclemeter more for whatever reason.

May give strava a round 2 perhaps

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You can use most of the tracking apps and they will sync with strava - works with garmin connect, ridewithgps, etc.

The flyby/club stuff is aight, but this chrome addon adds a ton of metrics that makes it worthwhile.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...klkbljcgicpckn

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just checked. Only the paid version of my app has strava sync

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So follow up question: Another 7 days, 4 at the gym, 30min cardio 30min lifting, several 1-2hr long walks, never over 2000 calories a day, weight up again. Yeah, weight loss not linear, but my brain is being very wtf as my body is sore af. All fine, hold keep doing what i'm doing and expect nothing for at least another month?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

How are you counting calories? Estimating? Using some app? Or are you weighing your food on a scale and knowing with absolute certainty what you're putting in your body?

It's the biggest pain in the ass, but the latter is always the most effective

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I haven't been weighing stuff, just going by calories per package and doing the math and trying to keep carbs as low as humanely possible. The only thing I've eaten that I can't get calories for is shrimp. About five months back I did 1200 calories a day and like 100g of carbs per day, barely did any gym, and lost weight like mad, but appearently that was no good

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag