Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't post in here much, but I hit a goal yesterday.

About 4 months ago, I was a bit unhappy where I was. I'm 33 and didn't want to go into my 40's out of shape and fat. I started at 220 lbs.

I ordered Power 90 (lol Beachbody) but I insisted if I bought it, I'd do it every day.

So I did. Friday marked the end of the 90 days. I lost 21 lbs. Down to 199. I honestly haven't been under 200 since high school, minimum. Lost a total of 12 inches, including 5.75 around my waist. I went from a 38 pants to 34. And getting smaller.

So since I did that, I started P90x yesterday. It's a lot tougher than Power 90. I could have just downloaded it, but I told myself if I bought it, I'm gonna do it. It's gonna be a long 90 days, but I think the payoff will be worth it. I'm not a coach so I won't be hawking all the other shit they tell you to buy. I do my own protein etc. As a business Beachbody is as MLM as it gets. But if you stick to the diet and the exercise, you will see results.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    But if you stick to the diet and the exercise, you will see results.
    This cannot be emphasized enough. There is no gimmick. There is no short cut. Tough it out, and stick to a plan, ANY plan involving a good diet and exercise, and you will see changes.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shiroikage View Post
    Been a while since I checked in. Hit a big goal yesterday (>2xBW 20 rep squat):
    brb, getting ticket to canadium

edit: also, nice

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Been a while since I checked in. Hit a big goal yesterday (>2xBW 20 rep squat):
    Check your manlet privilege. A >2xBW Squat is 465+ depends on the day. Not that far from it should hit 500 by next June. What are your numbers/total now?

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

About 4 months ago, I was a bit unhappy where I was. I'm 33 and didn't want to go into my 40's out of shape and fat. I started at 220 lbs.

I ordered Power 90 (lol Beachbody) but I insisted if I bought it, I'd do it every day.

So I did. Friday marked the end of the 90 days. I lost 21 lbs. Down to 199. I honestly haven't been under 200 since high school, minimum. Lost a total of 12 inches, including 5.75 around my waist. I went from a 38 pants to 34. And getting smaller.

So since I did that, I started P90x yesterday. It's a lot tougher than Power 90. I could have just downloaded it, but I told myself if I bought it, I'm gonna do it. It's gonna be a long 90 days, but I think the payoff will be worth it. I'm not a coach so I won't be hawking all the other shit they tell you to buy. I do my own protein etc. As a business Beachbody is as MLM as it gets. But if you stick to the diet and the exercise, you will see results.
    I'm not a fan of Beachbody because I think it can all be done on your own , however I understand how it can be a stepping stone tool to help learn/ motivate as it seemed to for you. That's awesome and a great job !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hushigoshi View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough. There is no gimmick. There is no short cut. Tough it out, and stick to a plan, ANY plan involving a good diet and exercise, and you will see changes.

Congrats on the weight loss!
    I can personally vouch for this. Having lost 46 lbs so far everyone asks me and my husband "How do we do it ?" - Commitment to ourselves , and the above. Congrats as well on a job well done !! :D

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I did Insanity a couple years ago cause some chick I was talking to was starting it too and I was trying to get that 'lets fitness together' in with her, so we synced it together days wise and tried to exercise together in person whenever our schedules allowed. I saw no weight loss cause I'm already like fat free, but what little fat I did lose was quickly replaced with more definition and slightly increased muscles. Overall though, I couldn't eat enough to make real gains, its more of a weight loss cardio thing. I eat 3000/day as is, let alone with Insanity, but those programs will seriously kick your metabolism into overdrive, speed you off to NASA, dump it in a rocket, then send it into space. Anyone reading for weight loss alone should seriously look into them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Moved in to the new place (sorta, most of my shit still in transit and won't be here til next week, but hey I got a living room!) and started the whole grad school orientation thing this week. Got my ass to the gym and started writing down / counting calories and portions as of today.

Went grocery shopping the other day and managed to be smart and only get sandwich meats / low cal soups that I like / meat in bulk (forgot that my slow-cooker is in transit so it's sitting in the freezer for now). Gonna try some of that no-sodium salt suggested in this thread because now is as good of a time as ever to watch my horribly high sodium intake and BP.

Also went tanning for the first time in like 2 years today. I acknowledge that it's completely gay and possibly dangerous in the long run but I know that my motivation is directly tied to my self-esteem which is also tied to my perception of myself. I'm hoping when I start seeing myself in the mirror more how I view myself in my mind it'll be a big psychological push right about the time I'd normally be slumping off from the initial rush of getting back into things.

Day 1: Done

Now for the rest.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Nigro if you need anything inbox me on FB

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Moved in to the new place (sorta, most of my shit still in transit and won't be here til next week, but hey I got a living room!) and started the whole grad school orientation thing this week. Got my ass to the gym and started writing down / counting calories and portions as of today.

Went grocery shopping the other day and managed to be smart and only get sandwich meats / low cal soups that I like / meat in bulk (forgot that my slow-cooker is in transit so it's sitting in the freezer for now). Gonna try some of that no-sodium salt suggested in this thread because now is as good of a time as ever to watch my horribly high sodium intake and BP.

Also went tanning for the first time in like 2 years today. I acknowledge that it's completely gay and possibly dangerous in the long run but I know that my motivation is directly tied to my self-esteem which is also tied to my perception of myself. I'm hoping when I start seeing myself in the mirror more how I view myself in my mind it'll be a big psychological push right about the time I'd normally be slumping off from the initial rush of getting back into things.

Now for the rest.
    Do you use apps for counting calories? I use:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/20...c/can-of-tuna/

On my desktop and My fitnesspal app on my cell.

BG Level

I just ate a can of tuna.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Ew.

But yes I need to reinstall myfitnesspal on my phone.

And thanks Travis, right now I just need to keep one foot in front of the other and keep going and not binge out too much.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    I did Insanity a couple years ago cause some chick I was talking to was starting it too and I was trying to get that 'lets fitness together' in with her, so we synced it together days wise and tried to exercise together in person whenever our schedules allowed. I saw no weight loss cause I'm already like fat free, but what little fat I did lose was quickly replaced with more definition and slightly increased muscles. Overall though, I couldn't eat enough to make real gains, its more of a weight loss cardio thing. I eat 3000/day as is, let alone with Insanity, but those programs will seriously kick your metabolism into overdrive, speed you off to NASA, dump it in a rocket, then send it into space. Anyone reading for weight loss alone should seriously look into them.
    I think i might give that shit a try if if i don't see any progress in the next three months.

At this point i might just hire a personal trainer to get dat six pack since my attempts at getting lower body fat have not been fruitful for months. Recently i'm trying intervals 3 times a weeks, weights 2 times a week and a calorie deficit of 500 calories (except on lifting day), for 4 weeks, then a week off, then back to a month of that routine again. I hope this works because this is far too much work for a nigga like me

Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Check your manlet privilege. A >2xBW Squat is 465+ depends on the day. Not that far from it should hit 500 by next June. What are your numbers/total now?
    Mid-400s for squat, should be hitting 3xBW by end of year. Front squatted 180 kg a little while back, that was kind of nuts. I haven't been pushing the top end, doing lots of volume at the moment. 525 dead earlier in the year when I weighed a bit more, did 475x3 last Wednesday, probably 485x3 or so this Wednesday so 3xBW for reps. Think I could pull 500 for a single for sure. OHP'd 165 earlier in the year which was just a hair over BW at the time but my forearm's kind of tweaked at the moment so I can't OHP. Did +90x2 on weighted pull-ups recently, have done +100 for a single. Bench sucks, only around 225 for a single (lol). Push pressed 110 kg.

I finally got around to pulling off some BF and I had a bunch of life stuff come up so I haven't been making tons of strength gains in the past while, but there's been PRs for sure.

Here's some progress pics & a freaky vid since I haven't posted here in a while just as a sort of check-in:

It's been 2 and 2/3 of a year since I started looking like this:

and my advice to anyone just starting out is that probably the 3 most important things you can do is be consistent, write everything you do down, and treat the kitchen as seriously as you treat training whether your goals are to gain or lose. There's lots of other important stuff but those 3 are going to be king. I've trained for a while not getting good sleep and that's a close 4th. Other things that matter are what you do (I'd recommend big lifts & go down to isolation stuff), but really it's more important that you're consistently going in and putting in hard work than it actually matters what you're doing. You need to write stuff down because it actually gives you a reference to look back and plan training runs and stuff, there's no way you're going to remember everything you've done, especially when you just finished some really heavy sets of squats and your memory's cooked. And diet is obviously king because it's what fuels everything you do.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Mid-400s for squat, should be hitting 3xBW by end of year. Front squatted 180 kg a little while back, that was kind of nuts. I haven't been pushing the top end, doing lots of volume at the moment. 525 dead earlier in the year when I weighed a bit more, did 475x3 last Wednesday, probably 485x3 or so this Wednesday so 3xBW for reps. Think I could pull 500 for a single for sure. OHP'd 165 earlier in the year which was just a hair over BW at the time but my forearm's kind of tweaked at the moment so I can't OHP. Did +90x2 on weighted pull-ups recently, have done +100 for a single. Bench sucks, only around 225 for a single (lol). Push pressed 110 kg.

I finally got around to pulling off some BF and I had a bunch of life stuff come up so I haven't been making tons of strength gains in the past while, but there's been PRs for sure.

Here's some progress pics & a freaky vid since I haven't posted here in a while just as a sort of check-in:

It's been 2 and 2/3 of a year since I started looking like this:

and my advice to anyone just starting out is that probably the 3 most important things you can do is be consistent, write everything you do down, and treat the kitchen as seriously as you treat training whether your goals are to gain or lose. There's lots of other important stuff but those 3 are going to be king. I've trained for a while not getting good sleep and that's a close 4th. Other things that matter are what you do (I'd recommend big lifts & go down to isolation stuff), but really it's more important that you're consistently going in and putting in hard work than it actually matters what you're doing. You need to write stuff down because it actually gives you a reference to look back and plan training runs and stuff, there's no way you're going to remember everything you've done, especially when you just finished some really heavy sets of squats and your memory's cooked. And diet is obviously king because it's what fuels everything you do.
    What program are you running? I would've been 5/4/ upper 200s/ upper 100s for D/S/B/OHP but I sprained my wrist back in April and didn't start lifting again until June after deloading by like 30%. I was so sad. Running GSLP until the end of this month then most likely switching over to GZCL Jacked and Tan or Madcow before I leave for Bootcamp in October.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post

Now for the rest.
    Did you hit up the UREC or sign up somewhere?

Also for anyone looking into Stronglifts 5x5, the phone app is amazing

Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    What program are you running? I would've been 5/4/ upper 200s/ upper 100s for D/S/B/OHP but I sprained my wrist back in April and didn't start lifting again until June after deloading by like 30%. I was so sad. Running GSLP until the end of this month then most likely switching over to GZCL Jacked and Tan or Madcow before I leave for Bootcamp in October.
    Injuries suck.
    I don't run programs anymore, I use a mix of loading styles that generally start higher volume and taper to higher intensity and lower volume then back down and take a run at it again when I exhaust it. I also generally do a heavy or high volume set before the worksets.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Did you hit up the UREC or sign up somewhere?

Also for anyone looking into Stronglifts 5x5, the phone app is amazing
    No thankfully my apartment complex has a 24 hour gym that has everything but a squat rack / deadlifts. They have leg press machine and other leg machines though so I'll make it work.

The .75 mile walk to and from the parking lots every day is gonna be extra fun.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So I just started using myfitnesspal app and I just have a question.

Since I'm trying to drop some lbs I'm keeping track of the fairly long walks I have around campus (.7~.8 miles from lot to building I need to be at in 95 degree heat). I add it in to myfitnesspal (moderate speed, 3mph) and for 15-20 minutes it says I'm burning 80-100 calories just from the walk, but when I use elliptical machines at the gym or something and do it fairly hard for 10 minutes or so it says I burn like 50-60 calories.

What gives?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Are you entering your age and weight into the machines? If you don't it's going to assume you are a five foot four 150lb person and won't be accurate. Even then it can be off. I have a heart rate monitor that also tracks the calories I burn when doing cardio and it was about a 45 calorie difference between my monitor and the elliptical

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Been doing myfitnesspal for about a week now. Really been keeping tabs on my calorie intake. I really enjoy it, plus I stopped smoking weed so I wouldn't get cravings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag