Bork thred

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Finally starting to see some weight loss, down about 6lbs so far after getting a diet plan and sticking to the changes. I have some off days here and there but the success of the program has been hard to argue with seeing as how I clocked a 12lb weight gain prior to starting it.

Congrats! That must feel great. I'm down 32lbs and right around the milestone you're at i started to really enjoy hitting the scale and seeing what i lost.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

worked out again today. only had to cut myself off twice (once on lat pull downs, once on the chest fly). avoided the chest press entirely and did some dumbbell chest presses instead, altering my grip as I went in order to minimize shoulder discomfort. still bummed that my shoulder keeps me from going as hard as I'd like but overall I'm happy. if I stretch it out and be careful with the gaming I can easily get in two hard workouts this week and that's more than I've been doing lately!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Any tips for IF? I've dropped the 10lbs fr the injury and want 10 more. Been feeding between 2-8p. This week with gym at 5pm and bed 9-10ish. I'm not clear what sups when so I take vitD in the morning but wait until I eat before taking fish oil , multi and turmeric. Probably have to start prepping meals or doing a shake with my first meal. I think protein is low without that morning shake.

Anyways had the closest to a normal leg day since the injury. I'm at 15-16 weeks and was able to get 275x5 atg back squat with 3-4 left in the tank. The right leg is still weak when doing single leg stuff.

I was doing 315x5 front squat atg before rupture ; ;

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Hey all...been away from BG a bit, always followed along in here for years and now looking for some advice on putting together a routine for home.

Haven’t strength trained since I was in my early 20’s....so it’s been a long while to say the least(37 now) I’m sure quite a bit has changed....nutrition is pretty great(3-3.5k cal/day), 6’0, 150lb or so.

I have a power rack(box), pull up bar, dip bar, adjustable bench, bench bar and 2 dumbbell bars.

I’m open to routine suggestions, my preference I think would be 2 different 2 day routines....so day 1+3 would be upper body, days 2+4 would be lower body, just using majority different exercises. Some may overlap(ex. squats on both day 2+4) if it’s a “crucial” exercise.

Any advice is welcome, can shoot me a PM too

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Squats, bench, Pull ups
    Deadlift, bent over row, overhead press

Yea, if you want to do only two workouts to hit everything, you will have to stick to compound movements.

I enjoy a nice push/pull/legs split. I tend to add a little arm isolation work on my leg days just because i feel those are my weaker point and want a little more volume. Personally, i don't have the energy/time to do full upper body the way i want. I just feel i don't hit things as hard as i want and by the end of the workout i'm not able to go as hard.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

First 4plate 225x5 deadlift today

Am I gonna make it brahs

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Oh nice dude, i did the for the first time a few days ago too! Shits hard good luck lol.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

bahhhhhhh turns out it is my rotator cuff that's injured. among possibly other shit; my shoulder is a real war zone haha. specifically there is some impingement going on which is what's aggravating the whole arm all the way down to the wrist.

doctor gave me a ton of different stretches to try and they seem to help the pain immensely. she actually told me it's ok to keep working out, which is the opposite of what I've been told before - just avoid anything that causes too much pain. easier said than done with a rotator cuff injury... but I was able to work out today a decent amount. had to cut a few sets short, and I had to avoid certain exercises I would have loved to do (no squats at all), but something > nothing right?

actually I might try front squats next time... that could work. it's the holding the bar behind my head that is killing my shoulder. that and bicep curls as well as bench press, three core exercises I can't do much if at all. oh well...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    bahhhhhhh turns out it is my rotator cuff that's injured. among possibly other shit; my shoulder is a real war zone haha. specifically there is some impingement going on which is what's aggravating the whole arm all the way down to the wrist.

doctor gave me a ton of different stretches to try and they seem to help the pain immensely. she actually told me it's ok to keep working out, which is the opposite of what I've been told before - just avoid anything that causes too much pain. easier said than done with a rotator cuff injury... but I was able to work out today a decent amount. had to cut a few sets short, and I had to avoid certain exercises I would have loved to do (no squats at all), but something > nothing right?

actually I might try front squats next time... that could work. it's the holding the bar behind my head that is killing my shoulder. that and bicep curls as well as bench press, three core exercises I can't do much if at all. oh well...

I had a sneaking suspicion it was the cuff. Wish I wasn't correct; that is a bear to deal with.

I agree with the front squat. Goblet squats with a dumbbell have been my personal favorite and haven't aggravated anything. I just do more reps to make up for the lack of weight.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's sad how common, and how easy it is to tear or injure the rotator cuff too. Getting old sucks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Hear hear. Body goes downhill quick at 28 or so.

amateurs. if you never go to the doctor you'll never be officially diagnosed with a problem

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    I had a sneaking suspicion it was the cuff. Wish I wasn't correct; that is a bear to deal with.

I agree with the front squat. Goblet squats with a dumbbell have been my personal favorite and haven't aggravated anything. I just do more reps to make up for the lack of weight.
    it really is a bear. the more research I do, the more I realize I need to back the fuck off on lifting.

sigh.

but I'm reminding myself that this isn't stopping; it's continuing my workouts, but going in a different direction. gonna rehab the fuck out of this shoulder once and for all. I'm disappointed but I absolutely believe I'll get where I want to be, it's just that I'm being forced to take a bit of a detour.

also going to continue exploring different weight levels and exercises to determine which ones aggravate it and which ones I can do safely - I don't buy the prevailing advice that you must stop all lifting until your shoulder heals. I get why PTs say that; they need to be cautious, but it's not entirely true in most cases. hell, even my doctor - who is usually pretty cautious - grudgingly admitted I could probably continue to work out as long as it doesn't cause pain. of course having the willpower to stop when it hurts is another matter entirely haha

so yeah. depressing, but sometimes you just have to face reality, and I'll come out better for it. thanks for the support BG, y'all got me motivated as fuck

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Bump for a question.

Been doing pretty well on weight loss, but annoyed this week. I've been eating 1200 calories a day, doing a 3 mile walk before work, another 3 mile walk after work. This week though, instead of losing 2.5 - 3 lbs, I literally stayed the exact same weight. No change in what I've been doing, sincerely doubt it could be water retention, just kind of demoralizing to check in on weigh in day and see 0 progress after 25 miles walked in 5 days, any ideas for BG fitness gurus?

Happens, a lot.

I've been stuck for weeks before with a perfect diet. It will come off, sometimes all in one day. The body likes to play games, just stay consistent and it will come off.

My better half runs into this cycle almost every month or two (Lines up with her cycle most of the time) where she can't lose anything (and sometimes gains weight) but it will all come off quickly later. Nothing for two weeks, then one night 3 or 4 pounds just fall off.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I've been between 188 to up as high as 198 but typically around 191-193 for months. I've been working for months to be able to do planche push-ups and finally hit the goal, but now I want to show off all the sick ab work I did and my body isn't cooperating.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Happens, a lot.

I've been stuck for weeks before with a perfect diet. It will come off, sometimes all in one day. The body likes to play games, just stay consistent and it will come off.

My better half runs into this cycle almost every month or two (Lines up with her cycle most of the time) where she can't lose anything (and sometimes gains weight) but it will all come off quickly later. Nothing for two weeks, then one night 3 or 4 pounds just fall off.
    Fair enough, as long as I'm not going fucking insane. Ironically enough, I went out to take care of some shopping, came back, checked my weight again, 2.8lbs gone.... no fucking clue why. Weighed 5 times an hour after i woke up, got the same weight, went out for 3 hrs, came back, weighed 5 times, got 2.8lbs less every single time.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag