Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I've already told off Cantih at length for how he came off in the thread. He's going to fix that. I agree people can use voice changers for shady reasons (or sometimes humorous).

Be patient for him to post.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Seriously though... if you posted why you'd be more likely to get help.
    I'm struggling to think of any 'good' use for voice changing software that works with vent. Sounds like you're scamming someone or want to do some weird sexual shit and are misrepresenting yourself.
    I GM online for pay right now (there are always more people who want to play than run games), and I use voice mods and sound-editors a lot to help keep the experience more immersive. I also like to use it as a player (when I get the chance), as it can help keep that character just a little bit more "real". The program that I use (Screaming Bee), does an okay job, but it's not highly modifiable-- it just has a lot of different voices to choose from, and most of them are very highly dependent on the pitch and tone of the original voice as to whether they are understandable when translated. I also use Audacity to create voice and sound effects, though that doesn't work real time. But I've definitely found that players who pick up Screaming Bee can get a lot more "in character" when playing-- there's just that added layer of removed from self, and it helps free up some inhibitions.

To the OP, I don't know if you've tried Screaming Bee or not, but it's honestly one of the best voice mods around that I've found (and I've been looking). It works through every online chat client I've tried (Vent, Teamspeak, Skype, Mumble, Axon), and there are lots of different voices, but like I said-- the quality of them is kind of hit-or-miss.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

k you've been helped, time to tell everyone whats got your panties in a twist

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

This is going to run on a bit, so bear with.

So first off. Throughout school, I was bullied and ostracized, from day one. And the worst part was I could not get away from it, couldn't change classes or schools. Thirteen years of just having to deal with it.
    Second. All the old timers here at BG know there is a fairly decent culture overlap with 4chan, a good number of us were heavy users at the time. We joke RIT is reposts from reddit, but way back it pmuch started as a 4chan archive.
    So you'll also remember seeing them do their harassment at times when they could get their hands on someone. I do anyway.

Combine those with the fact I learned early on about the permanence of data on the internet, I take my privacy fairly seriously. I do not have a facebook, there are no connections of my handle and any useful personally identifiable information. Not my name, not any photos, hardly a description. I don't do it for sockpuppeting or any shady purposes. Just that as a last resort, if some asshole or group of them come at me, there is a defense in the way. If they have my real identity, you can't get away from it without very drastic measures. And after taking it for thirteen years, I basically have no intention of putting up with any more than I can handle ever again. Everybody's got their shit that makes them the way they are, and this is simply one of mine.
    Thus the defensiveness.

And like a photo, a voice is very identifiable. It is a reason EVE corps get people on voice comms, so as to handle that game's espionage stuff. As such, I am not willing to link my voice with my handle.
    But, I find myself in a situation where I need to use vent. Right now, the coil group I'm in has started on the second turn, and we need all the communication we can to manage. I could stay silent, but we'll get through it faster and better if I don't.
    Secondly, a number of the group streams. So even if I could trust them with my identity, I couldn't with their audience. And we have all seen or heard about stream monsters. (This also follows if I start streaming myself.)

But, I am simply not going to declare that streaming is verboten with me around, seriously, fuck that.
    So between the rock and a hard place of not wanting my voice out there, but having to speak so we can clear content, I turn to the only solution I can find.

I need a voice changer.
    And I quite like the people I'm working with, so I'd like to use something that won't get on their nerves.
    And since I can't trust their audiences, I kind of need a non-common modification, because the standard ones have probably already had reverses worked out, or will eventually.

So that's the why of it all.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

so.. your worry is that someone will... recognize your voice on a potentially streamed run of some content from a boring dead game on some dark corner of the internet and somehow use that to identify you and find you and make fun of you?

i'm not trying to pick on you, i just am honestly a little sad to hear that, because it sounds to me like you are scared of everything short of your own shadow and that sucks. i can't help you with voice modulation because i don't know anything about it but my input is that you should step back and consider what drove you to want this in the first place... you say "Everybody's got their shit that makes them the way they are, and this is simply one of mine." as if this is just your unique aspect but it sounds like it's extremely detrimental to your life at this point and that sucks

good luck finding what you need

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Not sure if that's a new title, or just very coincidentally appropriate.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

oh. that was boring.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I can't help on the voice changer either unfortunately.

On the bullying though:
    Spoiler: show

I'm sorry that happened to you. I understand what you've been through and I know how hard it is to recover from it. It's not easy to trust in people and trust that they won't hurt you--I get that. I won't ask you to come talk to me about it but if you need someone to speak to and you want to give trusting a person a try. We can talk. I will share some of the worst of my bullying and I'll explain how I had to work to get past it. And the truth of the matter is, whenever someone betrays that trust you instantly go back to square one and it fucking sucks.

The fact that you like the coil group and you want to be a part of them more is the tiniest but best step you can make forward. Wish I could help more.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Honestly, if you have that much of an issue with bullying, I would recommend playing a game where you do not have to use a voice modulator due to the possible fear of being bullied. This seems like a substantial level of effort, and if people realize you are using voice software in EVE, I would assume they will give you the boot. Most people don't screw around in that game.

He's probably doing it to sound like a girl. Or a robot. For youtube shenanigans and streaming purposes. Comedy making, etc. I don't have actual information but I am also looking forward to the outcome.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    so.. your worry is that someone will... recognize your voice on a potentially streamed run of some content from a boring dead game on some dark corner of the internet and somehow use that to identify you and find you and make fun of you?

i'm not trying to pick on you, i just am honestly a little sad to hear that, because it sounds to me like you are scared of everything short of your own shadow and that sucks.
    but it sounds like it's extremely detrimental to your life at this point and that sucks.
    It seems silly because the odds of it happening are slim. But it does happen, and it's not funny to those it happens to.
    Scared of everything though? No, just concerned with things most people don't consider too much. As I said, I'm considering streaming. I don't know if you pay much attention, but some crazy shit can happen. There's that guy that got SWATed, and that pro-gamer who would get whatever game they were playing DDoSed (and/or their team house, not completely sure). That's the far end, but even normal chat harassers can be bad, the kinds of people who do that can go pretty far. Hell, consider that sockpuppet weirdo the mods have been dealing with the past week. It may seem an strange thing to take seriously to most, but from my perspective, considering ways to cut ahead of it is as about as weird as taking out renter's insurance. 99% of the time you'll never need it, but if that 1% comes along, boy you'll wish you had it if you didn't.

As for detrimental, hmm. A different example, a large number of my blood relatives have had issues with alcoholism. I looked at the pattern, considered my odds, and simply made the decision to never drink.
    The reaction of most people is pmuch always "You've never had a beer!? What's wrong with you! You're missing out." But if I'm out with friends who are drinking while I'm not, I'm not having any less of a good time than they are.
    It's not that something is missing from my life, it's just different. Some things that are important to you aren't important to me, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar View Post
    Not sure if that's a new title, or just very coincidentally appropriate.
    Old title, been there for many many years, just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    oh. that was boring.
    I did tell you that was the case.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Learn to disguise your voice? Frankie1080 does it all the time.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

I remember using Logitechs voice changing software when it first came out. Drove my friends nut by playing things like Borderlands together and sounding like one of the chipmunks lol.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

nah man you made it sound all cool and mysterious, but it's just a mildly paranoid but still reasonable precaution. i am very disappointed.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

So how would someone identify you from your voice though? Someone you know in real life might happen to be watching the stream?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

fwiw, I don't talk in coil outside of countdowns for fuckity fuck in t7. And even then my voice is quiet as shit. My raid time is when my kids are asleep and baby is currently transitioning to the pnp in our living room until we can move him to the crib.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Are you Kongor?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    So how would someone identify you from your voice though? Someone you know in real life might happen to be watching the stream?
    Other way round. If I'm out and about, someone I DON'T know that watches the stream could recognize my voice. Let's say you didn't know what they looked like, but if you were in a room and heard TotalBiscuit speak, you'd know it was him. (Or replace with w/e streamers you follow.)
    So, now there is someone who can make a connection between Cantih and my real identity, someone I might not want to be able to. The could even snap a photo, and pop it online going "Holy Shit, this is Cantih", and then if I ever fall under the sights of a dedicated troll, I'm pmuch fucked. You're probably going to go years or decades (or hopefully never) before getting in a car accident, but you still put your seatbelt on every day, right?

Most of my offline friends already know I'm Cantih, but they're people I've known for at least decade and I absolutely know can be trusted. They aren't going to see or find out anything they don't already know. As I said, I don't use a handle to be someone else, I'm the same person online and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    fwiw, I don't talk in coil outside of countdowns for fuckity fuck in t7. And even then my voice is quiet as shit. My raid time is when my kids are asleep and baby is currently transitioning to the pnp in our living room until we can move him to the crib.
    We're having trouble with Rafflesia choreography. I'm one of the tanks, and it will improve things and make it much easier on everyone else if I can declare ASAP whether I'm rotating clockwise or counter to a briar patch, instead of them having to guess or wait and react. I'm too occupied/timing is too tight to type it out, and I don't have space to macro a set of /p messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Are you Kongor?
    No. Apparently I'm you! If NynJa is to be believed anyway.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    No. Apparently I'm you! If NynJa is to be believed anyway.
    Highly amusing, the tinfoil hat is real with that clown. Anyway I have no direct input really for what you're looking for other than suggesting an expensive audio system like I have, that would in essence give you the option to do whatever it is you're attempting to accomplish. However I doubt if you want to spend $900~1,000 just to mask your voice, I have mine for recording which is primarily why you would ever spend that much money on such a system, it just gets doubled over to streaming and communicating with others.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    He's probably doing it to sound like a girl. Or a robot. For youtube shenanigans and streaming purposes. Comedy making, etc. I don't have actual information but I am also looking forward to the outcome.
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/.../480/OpoQQ.jpg