+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Hell yeah man that was the best part of Cub Scouts. Won the local thing a few years in a row and went to districts, got waxed by all the future aerospace engineers there, lol.
    That's awesome man, lmao. I never won, not even my local derbies. Forever 5th place And damn, you did see those Father/Son duos who took car making serious with a scale and a measuring gauge to make sure everything was proportionate before they dropped the car down, haha. Maybe things are different these days.

But damn if I didn't learn how to take a block of wood and carve up a racecar something fierce. Best times next to camping for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    It's my one regret that I didn't complete my Eagle Scout, as the BSA would go far out of their way to make sure you got scholarships and grant money for school if you achieved that rank.
    Surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. Colleges LOVE Eagle Scouts because of the community service involvement required, and it shows that you have the self-discipline to stick with something that does take years to accomplish. It also makes great material for entrance essays. If those weren't enough, as mentioned, there are scholarships for Eagle Scouts, as well as grants. At 10 or 11, when one generally enters scouting, these things are usually overlooked or not even thought about, but getting Eagle Scout is usually one of the first things your child can decide to do for themself that will greatly impact their future.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

An alternative to consider is the Navigators, which has been growing steadily for over ten years now, and has also started going international. They were specifically started to provide an alternative to the religious ties that the Boy Scouts have, and to also eliminate gender-related divisions. There are three groups in Southern California, both north of, within, and south of Los Angeles County.

Then there is Camp Fire, which has been around for as long as the Boy Scouts.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I spent a few years in Scouts and it was pretty low key on any religious push outside the aforementioned Cub Scout pledge and flag pledge. Sadly my group was rather small and disbanded after the leaders moved away before I could pursue Eagle Scout. Asked a coworker that did Eagle Scout and is a pretty devote Christian but he says religion mixing was never a thing unless it was a group in agreement thing (like giving thanks over camp food).

And fuck yeah derby racing. I wasn't quite aerospace engineer-tier but I did everything but install afterburners to make mine go fast and I won two or three meets.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    Surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. Colleges LOVE Eagle Scouts because of the community service involvement required, and it shows that you have the self-discipline to stick with something that does take years to accomplish. It also makes great material for entrance essays. If those weren't enough, as mentioned, there are scholarships for Eagle Scouts, as well as grants. At 10 or 11, when one generally enters scouting, these things are usually overlooked or not even thought about, but getting Eagle Scout is usually one of the first things your child can decide to do for themself that will greatly impact their future.
    Yeah man. Even back then, people would laugh or joke about becoming an Eagle Scout. Not a laughing matter when they pay for half to all of your tuition, lol. Even the job market takes kindly to people who have made Eagle, it's akin to joining a well renowned fraternity; people will skip right over other hopefuls for you if they have any ties to the Boy Scouts. I can only imagine making Eagle (or even First Class) would be a much harder experience in this day and age however, with all of the distractions (Internet being the biggest one).

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    An alternative to consider is the Navigators, which has been growing steadily for over ten years now, and has also started going international. They were specifically started to provide an alternative to the religious ties that the Boy Scouts have, and to also eliminate gender-related divisions. There are three groups in Southern California, both north of, within, and south of Los Angeles County.

Then there is Camp Fire, which has been around for as long as the Boy Scouts.
    Ahh cool, I've never even heard of the Navigators. Regardless of what you choose, it's best to see who you're dealing with, as you are entrusting your kid(s) in their care, and wouldn't want to put them in with a potential hateful and/or crazy person. You got those dudes down in Texas who can be particular about gay Scouts, for example.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I was a cub scout in SoCal and I don't remember anything religious. I think it depends on where you live, but if you're on the coast, I don't think it will be an issue.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

confirming that pinewood derby was the best. One year I made a towtruck with a tow line made from my Erector set. I got a trophy for something like "worst car design" or something for it, because it wasn't technically a car. actually hurt my feelings, i worked really really hard on it and it turned out very nice. i went back to generic racecar the next year. kinda a shitty example, now that i type that out.

anyway i had fun making it so that's what counts.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hi.
    Formor Scout. Obtained Eagle Scout. Current adult leader.
    Too busy to read atm, but everything can be summed up to "depends on the troop".
    But ask if there is any other specific Q.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

My kid is turning 3 this week, so still too young for scouts (by a lot). But my wife and I are already discussing whether we want to push them towards scouts or not. I've never heard of the navigators, but one of their groups is in my city (in SC no less). I wonder if they have something similar to eagle scout?

How much time does boyscouts take during the week? I run a martial arts school and definitely want my kids active there. How many days a week do scouts meet and do other activities?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    San Solara
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As a Scout in Ohio we had to do that prayer circle thing as well, and they would work religious songs into the hike/campfire songs. Being a young Muslim, it was very, very awkward, though luckily it was pre-Iraq so most people didn't really know what that meant.

I once had a volunteer give me a "finding Jesus" talk which I remember making me incredibly uncomfortable, though I'm not sure if it was the talk or the nervousness of being left alone with some weirdo who might get touchy-feely. Stopped attending after that year.

None of my friends had experiences that were so church focused, so I agree that it totally depends on the troop, and who's setting their agenda.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Those other groups are all well and good as long as youre ok with it basically just being a somewhat ragtag group of adults and kids without any real regulation or guidance - but again, depends on the group.
    Also no benefit of "Eagle Scout". Thre might be an equal rank of sorts, but any college or business would just go "ok..?" at least currently, who knows 20+ years. Can confirm that schools/colleges and businesses (and judicially..) love Eagles, it has helped me out quite a bit in all aspects. Hell, I even met my wife in a round about way.

It's kind of like a college degree, the degree is nice, but really, it's about the effort, values, dedication, etc behind the degree that makes it valuable. Businesses like to know youre in it for the long haul.

The troop im in - Meets at a church. has gays (for as long as I can remember (both adult and boy)). somewhat religious, but will understand if a boy is not, but at the same time will also will enforce the activity (church, prayer, etc - quick prayer at the start of the meeting, some sort of churchy thing on a campout on sunday) just because we want everyone to do everything together. this is also due to BS policies, everyone who participates must not be gay, and must be religious (it's also an Eagle requirment - boys who arent religious just say they are, or something to the like), so when asked we can say "yup". same thing goes with campouts, everyone is expected to go, just because you may not like where/what were doing, youre still expetced to go.

But again, this is my troop, another may not do any of this at all. No churchy stuff, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    How much time does boyscouts take during the week? I run a martial arts school and definitely want my kids active there. How many days a week do scouts meet and do other activities?
    Depends on the troop.
    Minimum is usually one 2hr-ish meeting per week, and a campout once a month (Fri-Sun).
    It's a lot like school for some boys (parental involvment is needed at younger ages - NOT a day care). Some love it, some hate it (not all boys like to clean, cook, tie rope, set up camp, etcetc). I had to be pushed a few times by my parents when I was in it, glad they did in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
    I once had a volunteer give me a "finding Jesus" talk which I remember making me incredibly uncomfortable, though I'm not sure if it was the talk or the nervousness of being left alone with some weirdo who might get touchy-feely. Stopped attending after that year.
    While it was always frowned upon an adult being alone with a boy, it is now offically against policy that an adult can NEVER be along with a boy, anywehre ever. Active adults must take a corse every year or so and "re-train" like with any other trade job, and go through questions, approvals, etc.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm sure they had severe bias, but I did enjoy the show Penn and Teller did on the scouts for Bullshit. That said, depends on the troop. Never did it myself, know plenty of others who did of all range of faiths.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Eagle scout representing. My troop met and used our local church hall for meetings. There are several merit badges with religious themes and overtones to them. A lot of core fundamentals are Christian related (for the record, I am a Christian) but regardless of this I never felt there were any religious overtones during our meetings, camping trips and so on. We never opened up with prayer or anything but I highly doubt we would have shunned it.

I don't think you'd have trouble finding a more "secular" troop. Imo at heart, Boy Scouts is about learning, having fun and adventures with other kids. I met my best friend when we both joined Boy Scouts actually- 24 year friendship and counting

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

^ Same deal - Have had the same best friend since Tiger Cubs, 25yrs or so. The fun part being he is in no way religious, and is a lefty. Even though myself (and scouts for the most part) are the opposite, the things that actually matter we are identical on. He never had any issues with scouting with his views, because the religous/political stuff play such a small role.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pretty sure I was the only one in my troop who never attended church, but I still went to the like fund-raiser-y things at our charter church and helped out with their things. I felt a little weird about it but never enough to have an issue with anything. Got my eagle scout, been thinking about going back and trying to help somehow lately but the troop I was with is like 45min away and I already dont have that much free time qq. I do really miss camping and hiking and I have nobody to go with.

I was like the only one who didnt get the "god and whatever" awards c.c

and like others have said its really not cool to be in boy scouts when you're in highschool but a few of my friends were in it so I was able to shrug it off

overall I enjoyed and grew a lot from being in boy scouts, lots of life skills in those lolmeritbadges and outings

on a side note order of the arrow always seemed weird as fuck to me, that was one thing I was majorly sketched out by. bunch of creepy old men doing god knows what waaay out in the woods with kids

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Only time I remember religion coming up was when one of the scouts was a muslim, I think. I just remember the camp-out menus had to be slightly tweeked to accommodate him, such as getting turkey based hot dogs and bacon for him.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    Only time I remember religion coming up was when one of the scouts was a muslim, I think. I just remember the camp-out menus had to be slightly tweeked to accommodate him, such as getting turkey based hot dogs and bacon for him.

That's actually really cool they accommodated.

Hopefully by the time my son is of age they will have progressed even further.

I for sure will be volunteering (possibly leading someday) for my daughter in GS. I dunno if I will be able to convince my hubby to volunteer with the BS stuff but it would make me feel a lot more comfortable if he did. He isn't the outdoorsy type, so I wouldn't want to make him suffer lol.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

also, single biggest life lesson i learned from scouts:
    Spoiler: show
    Spoiler: show
    Be Prepared

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Former Eagle Scout in WA state, we met in the gym area of my church at the time, but there wasn't really anything religious going on from what I remember.

Ignoring the fact that 4/5 of us in the group I made Eagle with ended up as drug dealers (the last guy is probably still play Everquest in his parents basement) it was definitely a good experience and totally recommended.

I am an Eagle Scout and a Vigil Honor member (which is more rare, and in my opinion a higher honor). In the area I grew up in there were three "secular" troops and then several Mormon troops. You should talk with the leaders and find out what activities they do (they should do one overnight activity a month and summer camp every year), learn what percent of their kids earn Eagle (10-15% of active members should be earning Eagle), and who charters them.