FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    It's a self resolving illness like the cold, and only affects developing babies.

That and there isn't an approved vaccine.
    It does have an added effect of paralysis that activities rarely. The normal symptoms in non-babies are fever, rash, joint pain, and red eyes.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    It's a self resolving illness like the cold, and only affects developing babies.

That and there isn't an approved vaccine.
    People can't vaccinate cause there isn't one, but if they could then would they? The spread of this virus is scary considering something similar would happen if people believed anti-vaxers more than they do now.

An indigenous flying insect that acts as the reservoir for a sexually transmissible virus that pretty much developmentally ruins your unborn child? That's the stuff of nightmares.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I think it only affects less than 5 out of 100 births from infected mothers, but there's plenty of research underway.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Hey bro, I know you don't live as close to wynwood as I do, but even a 5% chance of "the worst case scenario" is bad to me if the mosquito that carries it is native to the area.

BG Level

I just wanted to clarify that apparently the vast majority of babies from Zika-infected mothers turn out fine, which is almost worse when you have to consider whether to get an abortion or roll the dice, especially if you're up against an abortion ban after 20 weeks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It seems like there is always some flavor of disease in the media. Swine flu, avian flu, ebola, zika. I know it sounds all conspiracy, but there's some weird pattern about it.

Scaring people gets them watching which generates ad revenue.

We figured this out shortly after we ironed out movable type.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

5% was like Ridill drop rate, and I never got one, so zika's probably nbd

Of course there's a vaccine for zika. it's called wiping out the fucking mosquitoes from the face of the earth. not like anything needs them, so lets just get rid of mosquitoes period and receive the buffs of itchproof and resist disease +10.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

As someone who is a walking mosquito gourmet, I fully support getting rid of mosquitoes forever.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    5% was like Ridill drop rate, and I never got one, so zika's probably nbd
    when you kill faffy the same amount of times as you get bitten by mosquitos, it'll be comparable.

BG Level

Apparently one-quarter of the Puerto Rican population is expected to contract Zika this year.

Over 30 people are dealing with the rare paralysis side effect already. This shit is fucked, they need to get GMO mosquitoes released there stat.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zik...s-more-n633781

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I just wanted to clarify that apparently the vast majority of babies from Zika-infected mothers turn out fine, which is almost worse when you have to consider whether to get an abortion or roll the dice, especially if you're up against an abortion ban after 20 weeks.
    Eh, I'd be careful with "turn out fine" statements when we don't even know the mechanism for the microcephaly. With out knowing why its happening it's hard to have confidence in saying every one else will be just fine.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    Of course there's a vaccine for zika. it's called wiping out the fucking mosquitoes from the face of the earth. not like anything needs them, so lets just get rid of mosquitoes period and receive the buffs of itchproof and resist disease +10.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...ience-animals/
    TL;DR version--scientists don't know for certain if eradicating all mosquitoes would fuck up the food chain for other species like bats/lizards/aquatic animals and aren't ready to risk a genocide, even for damn mosquitoes.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Of course it'd affect the food chain, either from the lack of flying food for some species, or the explosion of another species from the lack of competition. Whether the change is beneficial in the long to humans is the question, but chances are it's better to just medicine away mosquito problems than purposefully making a species extinct.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Genociding mosquitoes would be the death knell for bat populations around the world. They eat something like their body weight every night.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

How the hell do bats eat, let alone catch, mosquitos? O_o

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    How the hell do bats eat, let alone catch, mosquitos? O_o

They use sonar and fly around with their mouths open eating anything that is flying and registers small enough for them to swallow. They're actually pretty badass little creatures.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You've never seen gnats before,have you? i can assure you, the bats will find plenty to eat still. i remember those little shits in north carolina during the evenings, its like they're a cloud formation of their own. they don't bite you or do anything except bump into you, but you can run a real risk of eating your own body weight in them if you breathe, so i think having bats focus on those instead will just be a bonus. (and yes, bats do eat them. you see quite a few bats swooping down through the clouds, not too far from your heads actually.)

Bats also eat things like moths (yay!), fruit, blood, or the plethora of other nocternal bugs depending on species. i don't think there's any that rely on mosquitoes entirely or even a major part of their diet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag