Thread: Meanwhile, in Florida.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Bank tellers make minimum wage.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    As do many back office corporate workers on phones, admin, etc. There are even entry level banker positions that pay minimum wage, albeit with a type of commission. The point is minimum wage does effect corporate America and it’s not an apples or oranges comparison at all. It may not effect all industries but it isn’t a stretch by any means as suggested above.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Do banks used the Big Mac Index, too?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Idk what the point of this comment is honestly so I’m not sure how to respond. Are you being genuine with your inquiry or do you think you’re clever for bringing up something that was talked about on the previous page?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Nah, you're just mad people are laughing and joking on your comment

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Salodin is not interested in good faith discussion.

Adding a dollar or two more onto MW doesn't change the problem people across the country are facing, either. So, while it's one thing to acknowledge it isn't enough, it's another to basically sit there and say we can't do anything about it because costs on some things would go up or everything would just get shipped overseas or automated. I quipped about abolishing the MW because it'd have precisely the same effect of doing fuck all for the people.

$25/hr or GTFO. Some seem to have forgotten that the intent of the MW was to counter the latent lack of morality in capitalism. Gone are the days where one person with a 40/hr week can single-handedly sustain a household as originally intended while saving up for other things like a home, car, college for the kids, etc.. Do smaller businesses need help? Indeed. Aid them through tax breaks or, dare I say, subsidies. Choke on banks a bit until they're more generous with loans. We've gotta decouple healthcare from work, too. Appropriately tax the ultra-wealthy for a change and punish those who do outsource. Automation may be unavoidable, but that's only going to eventually shift the conversation to needing a UBI because our populations aren't just going to magically shrink with fewer job options out there.

Otherwise, would some people spend irresponsibly with higher pay? Sure, but don't be the ideological equivalent of that fucker shaming those on food stamps because they decided to buy some steaks for dinner. There's a happiness component at play for the psychological health of those in poverty, too. $15/hr over six years is otherwise bullshit for those needing help now. Doubly so with all the bullshit "essential workers" are going through at present. $15 isn't exactly posh living in more urban areas, either. Coincidentally, if the midwest and all the other flyover states want to be more, then wealth needs to head their way, too. This is where remote working is substantially in their favor, because saving hundreds, if not thousands a month on rent will add up for individuals. Adjusting MW to COL invalidates that possibility, frankly assuming the preference is to go downward in low cost rather than up more aggressively in higher cost areas.

We just can't keep sitting on this or clumsily taking half-measures, though. Was hoping the pandemic would shine more light on this, especially with the overwhelming rent crisis, but as the election and its lead-up has indicated, we're farther gone than I even wanted to cynically believe.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The biggest problem the poverty line faces are the handouts they receive. Some people just aren't meant to have a good life, some just are. It's a shitty thing to realize, but it's the absolute truth.
    Then there's the problem of the snowflale millennial, who believe they're deserving of a life they will never work or earn. This problem i don't understand, and i don't know is needing to solve. You will either work and earn the life you want, or you're gonna give up and cry "poor pitiful me the rich took my life away from me." Then use whatever miniscule excuse the newage existence has given way to..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Delayed View Post
    The biggest problem the poverty line faces are the handouts they receive. Some people just aren't meant to have a good life, some just are. It's a shitty thing to realize, but it's the absolute truth.
    Then there's the problem of the snowflale millennial, who believe they're deserving of a life they will never work or earn. This problem i don't understand, and i don't know is needing to solve. You will either work and earn the life you want, or you're gonna give up and cry "poor pitiful me the rich took my life away from me." Then use whatever miniscule excuse the newage existence has given way to..

This is such a silly take. My parents have a combined total of an associate's degree, they were each making over $40k/year in the early 90's, bought a 2400 sq ft brand new house, got a new car every few years, and smoked a FUCKTON of pot. Were my parents lazy by any stretch? No. Were they huge corporate workhorses to be able to comfortably live in a nice house, take vacations every year and provide for their children? No. That's all the majority of millennials want.

I can agree that lots of people are shit with money, as I'm poor af, work fast food, but I'm a few thousand from paying off my mortgage for the house I bought in 2015, but I'm also a FFXI player that skimped on fucking everything for 1.5 years to get a relic weapon and that shit has in some capacity broken me from being able to enjoy things (aside from impulsive shitty gacha games, somehow). I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't eat out, I don't get food delivered, I do not go anywhere for any form of entertainment. This pandemic has changed my life absolutely nil aside from wearing a mask on my once a week grocery visit. And that is a SHIT way to live your life. So I'm not going to advocate people live life the way I do, even if many people should adopt some level of those habits.

No one needs to have a "good life", but they shouldn't be worried about basic shit. I don't care to go own a yacht, but I'd like to feel comfortable enough where if I wanted to go out drinking with friends (lol!) my first thought isn't "shit, that's not an expense I want to budget for". I'm trying to train myself out of those concerns but I'm not sure it's going to happen until my house+car are paid off and I legit could make budget on my gf's minimum SSDI payments if some shit went down.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

ok boomer

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Shut the fuck up

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Holy shit, hopefully these clowns go back into hiding once trumpito gets beheaded...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

that'sbait.gif

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wow you're useless. "People working multiple jobs think they should be able to support themselves. What snowflakes."

I understand why you went with the name Delayed.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

What...in the fuck is wrong with you son...

Quit being a nephew.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    I understand why you went with the name Delayed.
    No point in addressing the original post so I'll just address this

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Days, possibly weeks? Holy shit

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...hool-employee/

A St John's County high school shopped the yearbook portraits of 80 girls who they deemed were showing too much cleavage. Although what the girls wore in school was accepted, the person in charge of the yearbook felt they weren't conservative enough.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Shopped?

That's a MS Paint job if I ever saw one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Shopped in the generic term