Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw the movie, saw lots of posts that I thought were going to be about the movie, read the posts. I now want someone to nuke this thread which is about my favorite Avengers' first movie.

Anyway, the movie is good, verging on very good. I don't feel it hit the climatic peak that the top tier movies like Winter Soldier or Black Panther did. I'll put more specifics in the spoilers, but I'd give it a 7.5/10.
    Spoiler: show
    my big complaint is the vilains. This is usually Marvels weakness. The Skrulls should have been genuinely scary in and body snatches kinda way. Instead they were just there. Oh wait, they are just galactic refugees now. The Kree characters were one-dimensional and the more they didn't say Yon-Rogg's name, the more I knew who it was. In fact, I don't know if his name was ever mentioned till the credits.
    I thought Brie was good as Carol. In a movie where everything verged on being ridiculous, she gave it a grounding force. It will be interesting to see how Carol reacted to the past 20+ years and the snap.
    Sam Jackson was pretty awesome. More light-hearted, less burdened by the weight of the world.
    I also really liked Lashana Lynch as Maria. While her role was limited till the last third of the movie or so, I thought she knocked it out of the park during her reunion with Carol. She also kicked ass being a pilot in that chase scene.
    The effects were mostly good. They did look a little off in a few scenes, especially the ones where Carol was in her full suit including the helmet. The practical effects were also really good and I liked the car/train scene a lot.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Which part? Brie's statement or the Blank Panther bit? Since for Brie's statement I'm just posting what sparked the whole thing why people were asshurt about Brie.

As for Blank Panther I haven't seen it yet. Only SJW related stuff I can think of is when people got pissed off at some online clothing store showing a white model in a Black Panther themed holiday sweater.
    Holy shit this guy hasnt seen black panther and you're responding to him seriously lmao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Just got back from watching it. It was pretty enjoyable, had some cool fight scenes (both normal and super powered), and the whole movie seemed to have some kinda filter to make it seem more like a 90s era film. I wouldn't say it was super amazing though or on the level of the top 5 Marvel films but it did it's job providing an enjoyable origin story. The pre-movie scene was def a must see too.

Theater was almost full and I overheard comments that ranged from "Captain Bullshit" to "that was pretty awesome", so typical reactions.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Welp guess I'm a sexist then for wanting to keep politics out of entertainment.
    Entertainment has been politicized since.... forever. Just say you don't like women having opinions and only care about them as sexual objects.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    I don't see any politics with this movie, but I do agree I don't really agree with using "PC culture" to defend your otherwise not great product. People pretty much unanimously A Wrinkle in Time sucked. People who loved the books, say it sucked. However, if you're white and/or male you can't say it sucked or your sexist/racist. I fully understand and agree getting more diverse critics from different backgrounds would be beneficial, but trying to claim your bad product isn't bad because if you say it's bad you're a bigot just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't really see pushing views with this movie though I haven't seen it yet so who knows. You want to see that, look at the new Doctor Who, where in the third episode they have to save Rosa Park's protest or the fourth episode the villain is a hotel tycoon who wants to run for president.
    You can be white and male and critique things without being labeled sexist or racist. Except most of these people who expressed distaste or disappointment with a product that wasn't centered around whiteness or masculinity do so from a place of sexism, homophobia, racism, etc.

Ridill
    BG Level

Let's split this thread into posts about the movie and posts about not the movie.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Agreed. Sorry I even brought it up.

Scorewise though it seems like it's hit or miss for people. May add it to the long assed queue of MCU movies I still need to rent at some point after more reviews come in.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Let's split this thread into posts about the movie and posts about not the movie.
    Or just go to the PC Principal thread. Where it should be

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just saw it also and agree it was a good movie. Mid to upper mid tier of the MCU for me. Needs more Goose and Nick Fury though.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The best Stan Lee cameo. Fight me.
    Spoiler: show
    The Marvel intro with all the Stan clips was fucking touching. Nearly teared out.

Really liked it. Didn't see the twist of Kree being the bad guys but I guess I should have because of GotG. Special effects were good but there was a couple spots you could tell the difference, but I was able to shut my mind off and enjoy the hell out of the movie. Comedy wasn't GotG/Ant-Man levels, but it was good and in the right spots. The 90s nostalgia stuff was great. The tie-ins were pretty great too but now I'm curious how SHIELD lost the tesseract after WW2 and how Mar-vell ended up with it. Mid-credits scene was great and I'm so excited for Endgame. I can see where people will complain about identity politics but it didnt bother me at all.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

For me spider-verse still has his best cameo thanks to his dialogue.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Agreed. Sorry I even brought it up.

Scorewise though it seems like it's hit or miss for people. May add it to the long assed queue of MCU movies I still need to rent at some point after more reviews come in.
    What? You only see them after reviews come out?

El em ey oh.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Bottom of top tier (8/10). It's one of the stronger origin movies from Marvel. Plot isn't as nuanced as Black Panther or cleanly executed as Iron Man, but the movie never feels like it lags. Around the range of Homecoming.

Better than Wonder Woman by far.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    What? You only see them after reviews come out?

El em ey oh.
    More or less. I'm not a huge movie nerd

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I mean, feel free to form an opinion based on reviews and your own personal experience but I find it a little shallow to comment on a film you haven't seen with such strong opinions.

BG Level

Fair point but that's usually my method on something I'm not sure about.

I mean yeah I'll stick to my guns I'm not a fan of Larson but that's a dumb reason not to see the movie if it's actually good.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just wish they kept politics out of movies is all. I can't necessarily give any examples of movies having politics in it... but remember that time star wars had a black storm trooper!?

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Fair point but that's usually my method on something I'm not sure about.

I mean yeah I'll stick to my guns I'm not a fan of Larson but that's a dumb reason not to see the movie if it's actually good.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    I just wish they kept politics out of movies is all. I can't necessarily give any examples of movies having politics in it... but remember that time star wars had a black storm trooper!?
    Same thing was said about sports, and radio, and TV shows and all other forms of media. People are going to use their platforms for anything they choose.

Also, remember when people refused to see Black Panther for an absurd number of asinine reasons. You member? I member.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

$20-24mil Thursday night, not bad at all.

For reference Infinity War was $39mil and Antman and the Wasp was $11.5 mil.