+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Informed Voting     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level

Informed Voting

Ok, so, firstly, to clarify: this is not a thread for political argument.

This thread is to help people get informed of their voting options.

So, I'll keep it very simple:

If you need help deciding who you should vote for in a specific race, simply ask here, and I will do my best to provide the following:

TWO neutral point of view articles on the race.
    ONE each of left and right leaning articles on the race.

That's it. Not going to tell anyone who to vote for, not going to argue about specific candidates or anything. Just ask here if you need more information to decide, and I'll try to provide some.

Also, this site can be quite useful, it will ask you a bunch of questions about the issues you choose, and then show you which candidates match your views:

http://votesmart.org/voteeasy

So yeah, if you need some help getting informed on any races, ask away!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

Very nice website. Do you know if it has info on the amendments or whatever we can vote on as well?

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pretty much confirmed what I already knew. Living just outside DC you can't escape talking politics so it sort of forces you to have a general knowledge of issues and candidates. But that site is pretty cool.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    Very nice website. Do you know if it has info on the amendments or whatever we can vote on as well?
    I don't believe it does, as it's intended to be purely an analysis of candidates.

It's actually pretty hard to find stuff that's comprehensive on any kind of nationwide basis, but if you want to say where you're voting I can probably help find local stuff for you.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Overall, cool site. My problem is that I don't want to vote for the candidate that matches my positions... I want to vote for the closest candidate to my positions that actually has a chance of winning. Wish we could see relevant/recent poll numbers on here as well.

Of course, I live in south carolina, so my vote means pretty much jack shit anyway since my district is like 80% batshit crazy neanderthals.

My vote would also be a throw away vote in NC.

IT ONLY TOOK 11 YEARS.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Devia Danoma
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    ... my vote means pretty much jack shit anyway since my district is like 80% batshit crazy neanderthals.
    I literally just spit coffee on my keyboard. Quote of the day.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

*lights the Cream Soda signal*

Ridill
    BG Level

I live in Kansas which is insanely far right and normally my vote is utterly meaningless, but in this election there's 3 with massive nationwide implications that could go either way.

Make sure you know what's really going on before you decide it's not worth voting.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    *lights the Cream Soda signal*
    hmm?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I voted yesterday and there was a Green party candidate running for US Senate named Spicy brown Sanchez

I wanted to vote for her, but it was for Senate. If it was for a lesser position, I would have voted on name alone.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    I live in Kansas which is insanely far right and normally my vote is utterly meaningless, but in this election there's 3 with massive nationwide implications that could go either way.

Make sure you know what's really going on before you decide it's not worth voting.
    I always vote in the national elections. I simply meant that there's not really a point in voting for a 3rd party candidate with our current, broken, 2-party system.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

2 party? Half my ballot was one party, completely unopposed. It was rather depressing.

Also depressing was the technology in use. You could just about replicate the voting booth with a rotary telephone, an OK button, and a monitor. Toys for kids are more advanced than what I voted with today.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
    2 party? Half my ballot was one party, completely unopposed. It was rather depressing.

Also depressing was the technology in use. You could just about replicate the voting booth with a rotary telephone, an OK button, and a monitor. Toys for kids are more advanced than what I voted with today.
    Another thing to be aware of is that some stuff looks like it's vote for 1 guy or nothing, but in many places you vote on whether or not to keep a judge or other person's position.

But yeah, there are also a lot of unopposed candidates in local stuff and every now and then in major stuff.

Personally the hardest thing for me about voting this election has been figuring out which judges are doing a good job, which ones need to gtfo, and what the chances are that they'll be replaced by someone better or worse if we vote them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    hmm?
    Every day I drive to work I see someone riding their bike that i think is CS...i'll have to take a picture next time

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Another thing to be aware of is that some stuff looks like it's vote for 1 guy or nothing, but in many places you vote on whether or not to keep a judge or other person's position.

But yeah, there are also a lot of unopposed candidates in local stuff and every now and then in major stuff.

Personally the hardest thing for me about voting this election has been figuring out which judges are doing a good job, which ones need to gtfo, and what the chances are that they'll be replaced by someone better or worse if we vote them out.
    I think the whole concept of voting for judges is pretty ridiculous. My wife and I have been thinking about moving to a red state with elected judges and honestly it's a big red flag (no pun intended) for me.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

i dunno why you lit the CS signal, this nigga refuses to vote.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

well it IS florida.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    i dunno why you lit the CS signal, this nigga refuses to vote.
    I almost registered to vote against the transportation bill. They want to add 1 cent to sales tax to give more money to the fuckers that did a hit and run on me lol

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I almost registered to vote against the transportation bill. They want to add 1 cent to sales tax to give more money to the fuckers that did a hit and run on me lol
    this is...

fuck I don't want to actually make this political ><

but this is a big thing a certain party is trying all over the country in order to institute regressive taxation to cover their asses on the massive tax cuts for the rich going on everywhere they have control