1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 hours, 9 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Using it continuously is counter productive, she will overheal her target and waste the bar, while not healing anyone else or using skills

Fey Union supposedly works as a Pet Ability, so it shouldn't benefit from Rouse or Illumination (or Convalescence). A full bar's more akin to 20sec than 30 from a full bar with the current release. In practice, I can't see any situation where you'd want to burn a full gauge all at once, and you can stop and restart it without having to wait on a cooldown. On the upside, it doesn't get nerfed to hell and back if you've got rez sickness.

The root's an issue, especially with the number of movement-heavy fights and the range (10y), but the bigger problem is that you lose Embrace when it's active. That's not a horrible issue for midcore players, who were often letting the fairy do its own thing and often ran into problems when tankbusters and raid-wide damage came at the same time, but if you were managing your fairy manually, it's more costly

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The specific circumstance I was thinking about using it was for situations where there is little-to-no incoming AOE damage but the tank is taking more damage than Embrace can handle.

Given that the fairy meter has literally no other purpose, it seems pretty difficult to "waste it." It only does one thing, and even if that one thing is "allow me to chaincast DPS and ignore the tank" then that's a valid use of meter. I think in some ways that's another example of how linear SCH is now.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    In 8 man dungeons and 24 man dungeons the bar resets in most cases barring 1 or 2 encounters.

4 man dungeons are exempt from this.
    I think what it is is when you go from 2 bars to 3, it wipes your LB progress. I want to say that you're safe from that in the case when it goes from 1 to 2.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Ah, the bars thing, I hardly ever use it on healer so I'm not paying attention very much unless we're wiping XD I did know it disappeared after each boss in 24mans though. The rare time I'm running a dungeon on dps I can remember to use it at least :D But often I'm on caster sitting there waiting for a melee dps to use the single target one D:

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
    I think what it is is when you go from 2 bars to 3, it wipes your LB progress. I want to say that you're safe from that in the case when it goes from 1 to 2.
    Thanks, didn't know that. Thought it was specific encounters!

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Okay finished ARR msq last night and started HW 3.0 msq. I see already the entry quests are giving me some armor that's higher ilvl than I was using which is nice. What do I do about weapons? Should I be buying them from a vendor? I'm SAM and while they added SAM to preexisting loot from quests they didn't seem to add weapons. Where should I be buying them, how often, what levels, etc?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

HW Quests reward with you HQ weapons. You can go with those, or get lucky in a dungeon.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Okay finished ARR msq last night and started HW 3.0 msq. I see already the entry quests are giving me some armor that's higher ilvl than I was using which is nice. What do I do about weapons? Should I be buying them from a vendor? I'm SAM and while they added SAM to preexisting loot from quests they didn't seem to add weapons. Where should I be buying them, how often, what levels, etc?
    I just used my Ironworks ilevel 130 weapon until I got to 60, then bought the 255 weapons from vendor in Ishgard.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    HW Quests reward with you HQ weapons. You can go with those, or get lucky in a dungeon.
    ARR quests had every weapon except Sam weapons so I figured HW would be similar.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh, haha. I thought they'd have the foresight to adjust that.

In that case, ironworks ilvl130 will be fine until level 60, failing that, you can just buy NQ off AH if it's not outrageously expensive.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do you mean rdm is there but not sam? Because that would be hilarious

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Are you sure RDM was there? Why even have weapons for the new jobs in ARR quests if they start at 50? The weapon you get from unlocking them is good enough.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Are you sure RDM was there? Why even have weapons for the new jobs in ARR quests if they start at 50? The weapon you get from unlocking them is good enough.
    That's another thing. For a second I thought he meant quests post finishing 2.0 but they don't really reward weapons and stuff.

So question. I returned a few days ago and am starting fresh. Im still trying to figure out what to play in the long run but want people's opinions.

So, in your opinion. What is the most fun class to play right now. I don't care to do end game raids. I really just want to have a fun time with the class itself. I'm open to all opinions and since I don't care about raiding if the class is super fun but has like super low dps that's fine with me!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The thing about classes that are fun to play is that it's mostly going to depend on your playstyle. This is why you can ask 10 different people which job is fun and get 10 different answers. You might find that you are totally comfortable in a certain role, but one or more of the jobs in that role isn't really for you based on its abilities or rotation. For example, I personally love the healer role because it is all reactive (you don't have a rotation to stick to), but I'm fantastic at Astrologian and Whitemage with the way they play yet can't get the hang of Scholar. If you're keen on following this advice, the best way to try out jobs that interest you is to do Palace of the Dead on each one since you level up to 60 very fast (contained) in there and you can try out the entire job with all its buttons.

I'll tell you which jobs I don't think are fun. Monk is probably the most annoying PvE job (yet it's my favorite in PvP). Having to keep up Greased Lightning is far too tedious, and the sheer number of combinations of skills it has is annoying to me. Black Mage is also annoying because its skills require it to stand still for long periods of time, which isn't good for a lot of fights and ultimately makes it very frustrating to play as you keep having to majorly interrupt your rotation to dodge mechanics. Though I don't play it, I know enough that the nerf to Scholar has made it less fun to play than the other two healers, when before it was far more complex and interesting. Warrior is kind of in the same boat there - it went from the most fun job for many people to one of the least thanks to the nerfs and changes to its skillset.

Every other job, imo, has more merits as a fun PvE job. Summoner isn't going to be great against single-targets like big bosses, but it feels awesome against multiple targets as you spread all kinds of AoE shit all over them and finish them off with big dick Bahamut and Ruin4 with butterfly wings. By all accounts, people who are playing Red Mage are having a blast with its combo skillset of melee, magic and heals/raise and looking like a pimp while doing it. Ninja and Samurai just look cool and SAM in particular packs a huge can of whup-ass with a somewhat complex rotation. Bard and Machinist are popular choices because of their mobility while dpsing and ability to support the party, and also they look cool. Dragoon is reportedly in a not so great place right now with dps but can support other dps pretty well and also looks cool with its dragon paraphernalia and badass jumps (off the platform lul). And just, oh my god, everyone looks cool. You probably shouldn't use that as your basis for choosing because very few jobs got shafted on animations.

As for tanks, if you're into being the face and leader of a party, you can't go wrong with Paladin, as it's the king of the rock so far this expansion and has always been my favorite tank job. It just screams valor, right? Dark Knight is very cool too, has some of the best job quests and makes you feel like a badass when you play it. And as for healers, White Mage can drop both the highest dps and the highest heals of all the healer classes. Astrologian has a ton of utility and is especially fun to play if you enjoy buffing your party and supporting them from the back line, which was always my favorite position to be in back in XI. Also it looks cool *ducks*

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    The thing about classes that are fun to play is that it's mostly going to depend on your playstyle. This is why you can ask 10 different people which job is fun and get 10 different answers. You might find that you are totally comfortable in a certain role, but one or more of the jobs in that role isn't really for you based on its abilities or rotation. For example, I personally love the healer role because it is all reactive (you don't have a rotation to stick to), but I'm fantastic at Astrologian and Whitemage with the way they play yet can't get the hang of Scholar. If you're keen on following this advice, the best way to try out jobs that interest you is to do Palace of the Dead on each one since you level up to 60 very fast (contained) in there and you can try out the entire job with all its buttons.

I'll tell you which jobs I don't think are fun. Monk is probably the most annoying PvE job (yet it's my favorite in PvP). Having to keep up Greased Lightning is far too tedious, and the sheer number of combinations of skills it has is annoying to me. Black Mage is also annoying because its skills require it to stand still for long periods of time, which isn't good for a lot of fights and ultimately makes it very frustrating to play as you keep having to majorly interrupt your rotation to dodge mechanics. Though I don't play it, I know enough that the nerf to Scholar has made it less fun to play than the other two healers, when before it was far more complex and interesting. Warrior is kind of in the same boat there - it went from the most fun job for many people to one of the least thanks to the nerfs and changes to its skillset.

Every other job, imo, has more merits as a fun PvE job. Summoner isn't going to be great against single-targets like big bosses, but it feels awesome against multiple targets as you spread all kinds of AoE shit all over them and finish them off with big dick Bahamut and Ruin4 with butterfly wings. By all accounts, people who are playing Red Mage are having a blast with its combo skillset of melee, magic and heals/raise and looking like a pimp while doing it. Ninja and Samurai just look cool and SAM in particular packs a huge can of whup-ass with a somewhat complex rotation. Bard and Machinist are popular choices because of their mobility while dpsing and ability to support the party, and also they look cool. Dragoon is reportedly in a not so great place right now with dps but can support other dps pretty well and also looks cool with its dragon paraphernalia and badass jumps (off the platform lul). And just, oh my god, everyone looks cool. You probably shouldn't use that as your basis for choosing because very few jobs got shafted on animations.

As for tanks, if you're into being the face and leader of a party, you can't go wrong with Paladin, as it's the king of the rock so far this expansion and has always been my favorite tank job. It just screams valor, right? Dark Knight is very cool too, has some of the best job quests and makes you feel like a badass when you play it. And as for healers, White Mage can drop both the highest dps and the highest heals of all the healer classes. Astrologian has a ton of utility and is especially fun to play if you enjoy buffing your party and supporting them from the back line, which was always my favorite position to be in back in XI. Also it looks cool *ducks*
    I understand completely that it differs between people, but actually I think your reply is almost exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Also I didn't know about this palace of the dead thing, so that should help a bunch.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    So question. I returned a few days ago and am starting fresh. Im still trying to figure out what to play in the long run but want people's opinions.

So, in your opinion. What is the most fun class to play right now. I don't care to do end game raids. I really just want to have a fun time with the class itself. I'm open to all opinions and since I don't care about raiding if the class is super fun but has like super low dps that's fine with me!
    Depends on your playstyle. If you prefer reactionary jobs then go with whm ast and rdm. If you want a job that comes close to FF11 versatility job wise i suggest RDMs. Imho comes closes to it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you're playing casual and want to fully enjoy the few fights you can do you can't really go wrong with one of the healer classes or RDM, SMN, MCH or BRD. Reason I say this is because so many fights are just clusterfucks of graphics and stuff happening everywhere yet on those classes you have the bonus of being able to usually stand away from the immediate vicinity of the mobs so you can look around, catch all the little details and look at other things besides your own hotbar and the ground around you. I personally struggle with the close-up melee and tank jobs because you are always so close and some of the mobs are so big the view on my screen is quickly so boring and monotonous. NIN and BLM are kinda inbetween, NIN can bounce around a bit and has a nice variety of things you can do, BLM is ranged but oh my god the time you have to stay still waiting on spells to go off just... no. Healers and the quick-footed ranged DPSs have so much more ability to move around and while you still have to follow your cooldowns and such you can also react to things in more varied ways.

Personally my favourite job was BRD back in the ARR days and then when they made it stand still to shoot I've been playing mostly SMN, sometimes WHM. Now RDM is looking like it's becoming my new favourite because gdi I have missed the ability to do everything like we did in FFXI so much.
    At the same time I completely understand why some people love MNK and DRG so much, they're almost meditative, you mainly focus on your own character and if you can stick to the rotas and everything goes to plan your pursuit of perfection is rewarded by some big numbers. You and the tank are the backbone of the party just getting the job done while others around you do the worrying for you. It's all down to what you find most rewarding about vidya games.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm loving MCH even though the damage is a big drop off from DRG, but you'll have to get to Heavensward content before you can unlock it. Maybe try ARC first to see if you like being a mobile ranged dps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag