1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 77 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Queues for any tier of normal Alex are nonexistent.
    Gordias is actually not that bad; there's "precision pieces" for relic.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wasn't sure from reading the site but for the free 96 hours do you just log into the game client and it starts from there or do you have to reactivate from mogstation first? I had no plans to come back until SB but if I can finish up the MSQ for free why not. I just don't want to reactivate from mog first and end up getting charged a month.

edit: found it out, just log into the client and it starts the 4 day timer, no need to go to mogstation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So I came back to FFXIV after a year and a half or two ago when I did the 1-20 free trial since they made it to level 35. I got ARR+HW locally for $20 on Black Friday or something, so I'm now a real boy with a character nearly at level 35 and playing the full non-trial, etc. So, some questions. I played FFXI for YEARS and pretty well understood the game's mechanics. I've only done random low level ARR Missions/Levequests (I killed baby Ifrit with some randoms!). So, anyway, the questions:

1) Are there some good LJs, blogs, Youtube channels for FFXIV with people explaining how things work? Like Kaeko's was for FFXI with min/maxxing mage jobs and figuring out how Enmity works? Or there was that guy who played a Taru who made nice Abyssea maps that had lots of info on crafting? Something with a person show how to do Pugilist right, maybe?

2) How does tanking work? My Gladiator and Marauder are level 1, so I've never attempted it myself, but I kind of can't tell what people are doing when they do it. If it worked the same as FFXI there would be mobs bumrushing and murdering the shit out of the healer, but the mobs mostly stick to the tank. Random people have healed me while I was killing stuff a few levels higher than me and the mob didn't take off after them. It's really weird coming from FFXI.

3) Any other read/watch this so you're not a (complete) idiot sort of resources to absorb before I start doing more stuff involving other players?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul View Post
    So I came back to FFXIV after a year and a half or two ago when I did the 1-20 free trial since they made it to level 35. I got ARR+HW locally for $20 on Black Friday or something, so I'm now a real boy with a character nearly at level 35 and playing the full non-trial, etc. So, some questions. I played FFXI for YEARS and pretty well understood the game's mechanics. I've only done random low level ARR Missions/Levequests (I killed baby Ifrit with some randoms!). So, anyway, the questions:

1) Are there some good LJs, blogs, Youtube channels for FFXIV with people explaining how things work? Like Kaeko's was for FFXI with min/maxxing mage jobs and figuring out how Enmity works? Or there was that guy who played a Taru who made nice Abyssea maps that had lots of info on crafting? Something with a person show how to do Pugilist right, maybe?

2) How does tanking work? My Gladiator and Marauder are level 1, so I've never attempted it myself, but I kind of can't tell what people are doing when they do it. If it worked the same as FFXI there would be mobs bumrushing and murdering the shit out of the healer, but the mobs mostly stick to the tank. Random people have healed me while I was killing stuff a few levels higher than me and the mob didn't take off after them. It's really weird coming from FFXI.

3) Any other read/watch this so you're not a (complete) idiot sort of resources to absorb before I start doing more stuff involving other players?
    If you go in this game iwth the goal of minmaxing ALA XI

You're in for a bad time

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Imma answer this in reverse order.

3.) No. Just start playing if you want to play.

2.) Tanking works like this at a bare minimum. You get in tank stance. You hit combos. You gain aggro.

1.) If you want to tank but min/max the fuck out of what you can do I'd recommend browsing Xenosys's videos. Also taking a look at iDervy's stat weights would be a good thing. But outside of that there's not much.

Min maxing consists of getting to ilv270. Hitting accuracy cap. Meld STR on accessories (Tho right now BiS has one Strength and one Vitality ring so you'll do a Vitality V on the Strength ring). Crit > Sks (Until no longer useful) > Det

The most effort will honestly be in perfecting the 5 top tier fights (Extreme primal and the current raid)

Basically unless you find fun in maxing out the potential of your job I'd suggest you throw a month in and play FFXIV like a single player game.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

To add to all of that, I won't recommend min maxing at all, combat wise. The rewarding feel/factor is incredibly low lol. No one will notice. Think for example some guy managed to squeeze one extra attacking by maxing his DRG's skillspeed. Incredibly feat, yes, but when your whole group is performing like shit it won't get noticed or appreciated.

Crafting wise it's better for money purposes I guess.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you're still playing come 4.0 I'd just stock up tier V materia from weekly dun scaith.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul View Post

This thread is a little depressing right now so I'll try to help too XD

Basically throw out everything you learned in XI because if you try to play this game like XI you will fail. Approach it like a brand-new RPG with much simpler mechanics.

For any job you play, it is highly recommended to find a guide written by someone who knows it well (probably a raider). You can find rotation guides for current patch just by googling. All DPS work on a set rotation/priority system. Tanks are half rotation, half reactive/priority system. Healers are the most free-form playstyle in the game, almost entirely reactive. The job you pick as your main is going to determine what kind of skill rotation (or not) you have to memorize. Everyone's different in preference so probably best to try out every job if you can before you settle. You can practice rotations on the many target dummies that are scattered across the world, or in Stone,Sky,Sea once you unlock it.

As far as your confusion about tanks goes, aggro levels actually work just the same as XI. If the healer, for example, takes hate on the mob first, the tank is going to have to hit the mob with an aggro+ skill or two to get it off the healer and onto the tank. Tanks essentially run into a group of mobs, or at the mob first if there's only one, and spam a couple of aggro+ moves (for Paladin, it's flash, same as ever, cept aoe instead of single target. WAR and DRK have their own versions of it too). If a DPS does enough damage, or healer does enough power-healing, the tank can lose aggro to them, but this tends to be rare because SE put so much failsafe into tank abilities that only truly terrible tanks lose aggro. Please be aware that Provoke is a completely different skill in XIV and is designed for tank swapping and does not actually increase enmity but rather puts the tank who uses it provisionally on the top of the hate list, where he needs to use some aggro+ moves to cement it.

For pretty much all jobs at most times, the name of the game is how much dps you can push out, because most trials and dungeons have dps-check mechanics. This is going to be based about half and half on your gear and how good you are at your rotation. For gearing and upgrading, weapon is nearly always the most important, followed by main stat (ex. vit for tanks, str for mnk/drg, etc). Secondary stats are currently sort of floating in the ether and you don't need to worry about them too much until you get used to the game and really delve into getting that perfect gear setup.

For min-maxing, you want to look at this website: http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/
    It will let you plug in gear and materia and show you the stats you will have. There's a few other gear-based tools on there too. There's also a hunt tracker that (most) servers actually use. It's a very good resource.

For crafting and looking up items, use: http://www.garlandtools.org/
    Its interface is better that xivdb.com in my opinion.

When you're about to go into a new trial and you wanna watch a video to see what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/user/MTQcapture
    This fine lady is better and less long-winded that Mr.Happy (another popular purveyor of how-to trial videos). She got your back.
    Honestly there are countless people putting up XIV videos on youtube, just surf around and see what you can find.

That's not to say that there are never people doing neat things like Avesta in XIV. There's Kaeko who did a lot of solo runs on SCH. There's also this time everyone figured out WAR was broken so they used 8 WARs to kill Titan EX. Good times. There's almost certainly people I don't know about pioneering out there, even with the limited toolkit SE has given jobs in XIV.

If you're on Siren I'll help you out. If not, you should try to find a FC or a couple friends to help you. It's always best to find someone on your server who can help you learn the game and take you through some of the earlier trials when you're starting out though. Makes everything muuuch easier.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Also there's x-world party finders so someone in the same data center can help.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Couldn't find a random question thread, so i'll ask here.

Doing a new relic/zenith/atma (whatever they are called), and i'm at the part where I need to grind fates. I already did this quest on one relic, so can I not have the quest show in my quest log (besides it listed as completed?). I dont want to spend hours burning fates for nothing.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can leave it up as completed and still get crystals. If you hate yourself enough, farm all of em that you are planning to do relics for so you don't have a bunch of running back and forth.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

you just need to equip an relic ilvl90 or ilvl100 (if you got one existing) and use that to burn fates (despite it being completed). providing that is equipped, an atmas has a chance to drop

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Got it, thanks guys

Hi, haven't played in over 3 years, have 50 BLM and 50 MNK, do any cool people like Sath still play and think I should return?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

logged back in for first time in months

can't remember rotation

something something empyreal arrow something... heavy shot? GOD DAMNIT

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue View Post
    Hi, haven't played in over 3 years, have 50 BLM and 50 MNK, do any cool people like Sath still play and think I should return?
    Most gilgamesh people still play, bg shell and all.

I'm on Cactuar, are transfers costly?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can't transfer to Gilgamesh at the moment. It's locked

Gilgamesh is locked anyway, can't transfer there atm

I shall procrastinate