The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Let's talk drones (as a hobby).

I'm thinking about buying myself a drone for Christmas. I have no experience flying any type of model airplane or quad copter. Heck, I haven't even driven an RC car in decades. I was looking at probably starting cheap to learn the basics. I've read really good things about the Nano QX RTF. It seems to get really good reviews and when I crash it, I won't be out hundreds of dollars. Anyone have other suggestions for beginner rigs?

As I eventually want to get into aerial video, I'll have to step up. I don't really have a budget, but want to be somewhat reasonable. I was wondering if it's best to go with a cameraless drone and attach a separate GoPro or just go with a drone with integrated video such as the Phantom 2 Vision (+). What are the other options at that $500-$1000 level?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Newest South Park episode is all you need.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

In that price range really the DJi Phantom 2 is the best you can get. Don't get the version with built in video get the one without and attach a gopro to it. That way you can get the GoPro4.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i'd go for ones that emphasize durability. from what little i remember about remote control aircraft, the propellers can get REALLY expensive and are fairly easy to destroy. Once you've gotten good at flying, then you can move on to more capable craft.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

The propellers for the dJi Phantom 2 are not that expensive and the drone is really easy to learn to fly. Though my friend started out with a tiny cheap quadcopter (not a drone, a drone has to have gps and autopilot capabilities) and learned to fly before getting his Phantom 2.

I guess if you are eating through propellers on a regular basis $5-$10 per propeller can add up fast.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Learn to fly with something like the Nano that you suggested, learn to build/fix with a custom rig (which you will crash, and fix, a lot), and then if you want you can move on to one of the pre-builts like the phantom. After building your own you probably won't want to go solely down that route though, 50% of the fun with multicopters is building and fixing your own.

Once you've tried out the Nano and you sure you want to continue, there are a couple one-time big buys that you're going to have to make. These are mostly the things you're going to need to keep your quadcopter up and running like your RC controller, batteries, tools, extra wires, shrink wrap, etc. Invest in a good soldering iron if you don't have one already.

I big problem with drones right now is that if you choose to build your own you're going to have to end up buying a lot of the parts from china through certain sites (mostly HobbyKing). It ends up being cheaper, but sometimes you have to wait ~2 weeks to get some parts, so plan accordingly.

What really seems to be taking off lately (har har) are Minis, which are in general for fast and low FPV (first person view) flying. They're also a bit more durable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQuEgVNAQhE

What you're probably looking for is something like this though, which is usually shot with a standard muticopter. In this case, a phantom
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdAA_hyC5Q

It's a great hobby, but expensive, and there are a couple paths you can take. With enough money and experience you can even build up your own fleet and do all of the above.

I suggest checking out reddit.com/r/multicopter if you haven't already. Nice place to see cool multicopter videos and also a good place to ask questions.

Also, you shouldn't be spending anywhere close to $5-10 per propeller unless you're getting really really nice Carbon Fiber props... which you shouldn't be doing until you're more experienced, because you will break them. A lot. Buy in bulk. See: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...10_inches.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cayos View Post
    What really seems to be taking off lately (har har) are Minis, which are in general for fast and low FPV (first person view) flying. They're also a bit more durable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQuEgVNAQhE

Well thanks a lot. I went from not caring to much at all about these things to figuring out which one I'm ordering today. The one in the video is a crazy custom one...... any recommendations for a small entry level one me and my friends can race around? I'd rather get a cheaper pre assembled one to see how I like it.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    Well thanks a lot. I went from not caring to much at all about these things to figuring out which one I'm ordering today. The one in the video is a crazy custom one...... any recommendations for a small entry level one me and my friends can race around? I'd rather get a cheaper pre assembled one to see how I like it.
    I am of the same opinion. Those minis are awesome and I know an empty parking garage I can take over...

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Mx-5 vs mini quad races

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Mx-5 vs mini quad races

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Fuck flying drones, I've stalked more chicks than you can imagine with my RC car.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Keep in mind that those guys are pretty good, it's not as easy as they make it look.

I'm not really sure if there's anything really comparable at entry level, you kind of have to jump right in. Get the micro quad that Tych originally suggested if you just want to try it out. This is probably the frame they're using in the video I posted:

http://www.getfpv.com/qav250-mini-fpv-quadcopter.html

The reason there aren't entry-level mini quads is that to do stuff like this, you kind of need a full FPV setup. which is a one-time-buy that will be the majority of what you spend on your first quad. A lot of people really like the FPV predators (http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Shark-FATS.../dp/B00I08F7UM) but if you're just starting out you can just as easily get some cheapo LCD screen (similar to what you would put in the back of a van for kids to watch), attach it to a LIPO battery (of which you'll have many of once you start flying multicopters) and you're good to go. If you end up liking that, definitely go with the headset, I've heard they're pretty sweet, but I haven't gotten a chance to try one yet.

You could end up spending $200-300 on your first mini or a lot more, it really depends on how much you want to invest, and how you get your parts. Some places have their mini quad frames schematics online, allowing you to print your own with a 3D printer at a huge discount, for example.

Here's my first quad after a rush crash into a tree

and V2, before I got my FPV setup. This is after the first crash, I was able to reuse pretty much everything except the frame.

Feel free to ask any questions here or through PMs and I'll be happy to answer

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm not particularly crafty nor have I ever used a soldering iron. I don't think I trust myself wiring any kind of electronics lol. I wish I had the ability to build my own rig, but I don't think I ever could.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

soldering is really, really easy to learn. have you ever welded with an oxy/acetylene torch? exactly the same, just smaller and using a heating element instead of a torch. there are some techniques to it to avoid damaging the electronics, but it looks like the circuitboards are pretty self-contained in those pictures, so i would imagine most of what you'll be soldering is just wiring, which is really hard to fuck up badly enough that you damage it.

also, when i was 8-9 i took an LED from the packaging for something my parents bought and soldered it to my remote controlled truck so that it had a single red taillight. I set it up so that it only turned on in reverse. And that was soldering right onto a circuitboard. ARE YOU LESS MANLY THAN CHILD-ME!?!?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm a male nurse...yes.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm absolutely terrible at soldering, and I was still able to put mine together. You'll pretty much just be soldering connectors on to the end of wires, so like Bane said you can't really mess it up. There are tons of YouTube how-to's as well.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

If you already know how to fly model planes/copters, is there any advantage to starting with a frame like the Blackout Mini H Quad frame versus going with a cheaper one? This is assuming you won't destroy it; myself and my dad both have experience flying RCs though it's been a while.

My other question would be if there is any difficulty mixing/matching cameras, transmitters, and receivers/goggles. I see reviews for the Fat Sharks say that the antenna is terrible and should be replaced to ensure quality video.

I may try to put something together for my dad for Christmas if I can get a decent starter together in time (non-FPV to start with).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

http://www.hobbyking.com/ by far the cheapest place around, with a US warehouse.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Here are my current two projects.

I don't have pictures of either of my two quads.

BG Level

nice shop/workspace.