+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Have you ever had a dog before? A husky is an extremely high energy dog; most will need at least an hour of intense exercise per day to actually be happy and not destroy your house. Huskies aren't known for being big barkers either, so if you're looking for a dog that will alert to everything, it's probably not the best choice. My cardigan corgi is 40 lbs and only ~14" at the shoulder, but he sounds like a huge bad ass from behind a door. Just saying you don't necessarily need a big tough dog just to make noise and scare off an intruder. Get a breed that you can live with that suits your family first.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

On a note gt: Take a look at these videos:

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/dogs-101

They're great as a starting point to find what you want from a dog. (Don't just go off on the video, find some options, then research those options some more.

Here is the husky video:

Belgian Mals are absolute machines when trained to the highest levels possible. They've almost completely phased out German Shepards in regards to military recruitment.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I have a pitbull/rottweiler mix, she is about 60 pounds, and is a great guard dog as long as someone is actually OUTSIDE. She will bark and go nuts if she hears noises outside or someone knocks on my door or rings the doorbell. However, she is a big sweetheart that if someone were to just walk in, she rolls over on her belly for petting. This actually happened--my roommate left the front door unlocked one day and a burglar came in and stole my TV. My dog didn't do shit to him because he just walked right in and my dog thought person walking in = NEW FRIEND.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Huskies are not guard dogs. They are extremely high energy as it was stated previously. If that dog is left alone from 9-3 prepare to come home to some absolute messes. Pit Bulls are not good natural guard dogs. They can be trained to do so(as can any dog) but they are generally big babies. The one thing a Pit Bull has going for it is the sheer intimidation factor. Most people know immediately when they're looking at a Pit Bull. Mine is 80 pounds and muscular as hell. But the second you walk into the house you are now his new best friend.

If you want a legit guard dog you go with the sheperd or the malinois. But expect to pay over 1k for a purebred.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I've had a Bull Mastiff and French Mastiff. Both were very loyal. The French Mastiff I had raised on my own, so when my gf and her kids moved in I had some small problems I had to work out with him, but he was very loyal and very protective of everyone in our household in the end. It took him some time to get used to 2 kids always crawling on him, which was understandable since he was 6 years old before he had kids with him on a full time basis. He played well with all the kids, played well with adults, never took it too far.

I always felt comftorable leaving knowing he was home. GF's only complaint with him was the slobber, she absolutely HATES the drool, but she felt so comftorable with him in the house as well, that she says she get past that. We had to put him down a few months ago, but we'll be looking to get another one in a few months, he was the best dog I ever had!

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sorry to hijack your thread but also looking at getting a dog myself. Work at home all day so hopefully we can get it added to our tenant agreement. Initially looking at a Beagle but after reading online seems they dont make a great apartment dog. Any thoughts from anyone or anyone got experience? Dont mind that they need alot of walks would be willing to put in that effort just the barking thing could be bad in an apartment.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Oreth View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread but also looking at getting a dog myself. Work at home all day so hopefully we can get it added to our tenant agreement. Initially looking at a Beagle but after reading online seems they dont make a great apartment dog. Any thoughts from anyone or anyone got experience? Dont mind that they need alot of walks would be willing to put in that effort just the barking thing could be bad in an apartment.
    Just don't get a fucking little yipper dog. We used to have a no dog rule at our complex I loved but they allow them now. The, asshats who gave them let them run and yip to their hearts content at times.. Yet the larger dogs are quieter lol. Really any dog can be a barker but it's all about being vigilant in training. Corgis are fucking awesome.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Beagles will bay all the time. Loudly and with no end. I love them, but no one should subject other people to that noise. Plus, if they get a whiff of a scent they want to investigate they are gone. They'll go miles from home to check it out and may not find their way back. Doesn't apply in every case but I like to share that when someone wants a beagle.

Look up youtube videos of beagles baying and listen to it for 30 minutes, then decide if you really want one.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

dachshunds are awesome

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks guys. Figured as much re the Beagle.. Dont think we will go that route. Not many small breeds i really like the look of but more important is their typical behaviour / health issues etc.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Mini Aussie made a surprisingly great apartment dog, and while he didnt bite, he would bark if anybody got close to the door.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

altho he did bite my girlfriend on the ass while we were um.. being rowdy?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by gt_killa View Post
    My family decided that they wanted to get a husky
    Please do a little research and pick one based on your actual needs and circumstances, instead of "oh, this kind looks cute"

The shelters don't need another dog in a couple months after you figure out you have no idea how to handle yours. This isn't like buying a car, you can't just park it in the garage. You are essentially getting another kid here, they are work.

<---- Boston Terrier ftw.

I have a full size Australian Shepard as well, they get about 50 lbs. Smart as a whip, but they need a little bit of an extended time outdoors if you are keeping them in an apartment.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How much time are you willing to put in exercising per day? Have you had a dog before/experience training a dog? Do you care about shedding? Max size?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Don't get a husky in San Diego. They are certainly awesome dogs, but in addition to the high energy/high maintenance thing everyone has mentioned, it is worth noting they prefer cooler climates. San Diego heat when it is at its worst is not their friend.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

thats a good point, but is there something you could do with grooming to help alleviate that? like a short cut or something? seems like there should be.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    thats a good point, but is there something you could do with grooming to help alleviate that? like a short cut or something? seems like there should be.
    Not that I am aware of. The problem with the heat is they have a natural second undercoat that is very dense meant for subzero temperatures. Grooming is key to help - I had an Akita with my ex in Michigan and he had two modes : Shedding like a fucking wookie and shedding normally. An Akita gets a winter coat as it gets warmer that dense coat sheds by the literal handfuls. On a normal week I would be grooming around 8 hours total. Now I'm unsure how dense the Husky overcoat/undercoat gets but it's not really meant to be cut too short. This is why people need to do their research on any animal before deciding it looks cute and let's just get it. While I see a number of people in the bay area having huskies it is also tpically much cooler than southern California.

I really hope the OP is taking everything into consideration that has been said.

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Amelya View Post
    How much time are you willing to put in exercising per day? Have you had a dog before/experience training a dog? Do you care about shedding? Max size?
    Easily a 1hr walk a day but can split up into two different times in a single day. Dont like the idea of extensive grooming and dont want a dog that sheds alot. Had dogs growing up in the family from being born until i was 14 so decent experience and knowledgeable enough wiht having pets / caring for animals as a whole.

Size doesnt bother me a great deal but the wife it does. Nothing above a medium sized dog. Currently looking at a West Highland Terrier as what research iv done i think they would have a good temperment and as sad as it may sound im looking for a good companion / family dog as we set ourselves up in life. I work from home 90% of the time so being able to go out on my lunch with the dog and having them here during the day is good.