1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 42 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 5 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 4 hours, 42 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 568 of 575 FirstFirst ... 518 558 566 567 568 569 570 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I mean sell housing items.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BTW What was SE's reasoning with the Garamscythe Waterway in the new raid? It is completely wasted. They could have easily added a Famfrit or Zalera fight there (and removed one of the following bosses). Heck, even an individual party challenge ala Atomos. So weird.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

To remind players that they added underwater to this game!!!

Spoiler: show
    I feel like everything underwater so far feels wasted. I guess I'm a little spoiled after there being tons of underwater combat/zones in WoW.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I only played one game that allowed that, and it was Perfect World, but I think damage dealt was reduced by 25% or something like that.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

And we still have 4-7 patches for this expansion. Plenty of time for underwater fights.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do you really think they would add underwater fighting in a patch?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No. Underwater fighting can go suck it.

if they add underwater fighting that means they're gonna add a primal or raid fight or something that basically involves a blitzball-like field.

Fuck that noise.

You complain but that would actually be super fucking fun.

Which is why we'll never get it. I mean that would basically be just a step away from actual Blitzball (and while I don't fanboy over it) which would be cool.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My memories of Vashj'ir kindly disagree.

Possibly a trial I could see. I'd hope they'd attempt it in a 24 man raid first before they went deeper with it but I'd think the slower movement speed would kill it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It sounds fun to me but I have my doubts of the dev going that far. We're talking whole new animations for casting, attacking, taken account for different elevations, that sort of thing. Just seems "too much" for a team that likes to give the impression that a one-legged dying horse fly can crash the servers if it lands on top of server housings(err no FFXIV housing pun intended).

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    If you don't already have crafts leveled to 60 to HQ some older mats/equipment that has some value, you can always burn maps and do Canals, since that rains gil once you get deeper in, even in the 3.0 versions of it.
    Canals? What is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Canals? What is this?
    Canals is referring to the Lost Canals of Uznair.

If you do Dragonskin maps, there's a 50% chance to open a portal to the Aquapolis (Lv60 iLv180? cap).
    If you do Gazelleskin maps, there's a 50% chance to open a portal to the Lost Canals of Uznair (Lv70 iLv310 cap).
    If you get a Timeworn Thief's map from within the Lost Canals of Uzanir, it opens a portal to the Hidden Canals of Uznair (Lv70 iLv340 cap).

Each of these portals leads you to an instanced dungeon with 7 floors. The deeper you get, the better the rewards. Each floor has a treasure chest that, when interacted with, spawns 1~3 waves of monsters. Once you're done, you choose from 2 doors (3 doors, for the Hidden Canals). Each time you pick a door, it has a chance to end the instance (because you tripped an alarm or something).

"How difficult is it?" is likely the next question. For the Aquapolis, I've duo'd the entire thing with just WAR + SCH. For Uznair, I frequently trio these with a setup of PLD, WHM, BRD and we've cleared everything they've thrown at us. We originally tried to duo Uznair with WAR + SCH, but we frequently hit the 5 minute limit on the open-world map mobs before even getting into Uznair (though that was several months ago in full i310 gear).

"How often do you make it to floor 7?" We just got our achievement for entering the Lost Canals 20 times last night, and we've been to floor 7, 4 or 5 times. We've been into the Hidden Canals 5 times, and we've been to floor 7 once.

If it wasn't already obvious, this shit is seriously RNG-based. There are days when my trio runs 10+ maps and we leave with nothing worthwhile, and then there's the day we got our first Thief's map, got all the way to floor 7, and our tank eventually sold their yield for ~20Mil. It is also worth mentioning that the treasure chests just throw money at you too, the deeper you go, the more gil it dumps. If you make it to floor 7 in the lost canals, everybody gets 100k gil from the chest. If you make it to floor 7 in the hidden canals, everybody gets 500k gil from the chest, and it also quite literally rains T6 materia from the ceiling when you finish.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    It sounds fun to me but I have my doubts of the dev going that far. We're talking whole new animations for casting, attacking, taken account for different elevations, that sort of thing. Just seems "too much" for a team that likes to give the impression that a one-legged dying horse fly can crash the servers if it lands on top of server housings(err no FFXIV housing pun intended).
    Underwater/flying fights (because if they implement one they can easily implement the other) really strike me as the kind of thing they're saving for when they run out of ideas for other content to implement. Or perhaps we'll see this kind of stuff in Eureka and that's the "revolutionary" part of it.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Canals is referring to the Lost Canals of Uznair.

If you do Dragonskin maps, there's a 50% chance to open a portal to the Aquapolis (Lv60 iLv180? cap).
    If you do Gazelleskin maps, there's a 50% chance to open a portal to the Lost Canals of Uznair (Lv70 iLv310 cap).
    If you get a Timeworn Thief's map from within the Lost Canals of Uzanir, it opens a portal to the Hidden Canals of Uznair (Lv70 iLv340 cap).

Each of these portals leads you to an instanced dungeon with 7 floors. The deeper you get, the better the rewards. Each floor has a treasure chest that, when interacted with, spawns 1~3 waves of monsters. Once you're done, you choose from 2 doors (3 doors, for the Hidden Canals). Each time you pick a door, it has a chance to end the instance (because you tripped an alarm or something).

"How difficult is it?" is likely the next question. For the Aquapolis, I've duo'd the entire thing with just WAR + SCH. For Uznair, I frequently trio these with a setup of PLD, WHM, BRD and we've cleared everything they've thrown at us. We originally tried to duo Uznair with WAR + SCH, but we frequently hit the 5 minute limit on the open-world map mobs before even getting into Uznair (though that was several months ago in full i310 gear).

"How often do you make it to floor 7?" We just got our achievement for entering the Lost Canals 20 times last night, and we've been to floor 7, 4 or 5 times. We've been into the Hidden Canals 5 times, and we've been to floor 7 once.

If it wasn't already obvious, this shit is seriously RNG-based. There are days when my trio runs 10+ maps and we leave with nothing worthwhile, and then there's the day we got our first Thief's map, got all the way to floor 7, and our tank eventually sold their yield for ~20Mil. It is also worth mentioning that the treasure chests just throw money at you too, the deeper you go, the more gil it dumps. If you make it to floor 7 in the lost canals, everybody gets 100k gil from the chest. If you make it to floor 7 in the hidden canals, everybody gets 500k gil from the chest, and it also quite literally rains T6 materia from the ceiling when you finish.
    Wow! Thanks for the information. Where do these maps come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You can buy em off the market boards. I've seen Gazelleskin maps as rewards for the Wonderous Tails journal too. But typically they're gathered by the... gathering jobs lol

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

They didn't add flight based combat in Heavensward, they won't add water/underwater based combat in Stormsblood, I can see them adding duty action for underwater stuff at best though.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Underwater combat would require them to overhaul their animations for all skills. Not happening with its budget. Nor do I want it either. Swimming is an afterthought in this game done only as a "we have it" checkbox on its every-MMO-has-this list, as evidenced by how little detail there is in the underwater environments compared to above.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The fact that there's a loading screen between diving and swimming/flying bothers the fuck out of me

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hey man, they gotta skip you 20 units under the water to avoid seeing the atrocious texture tiling on the walls near the surface as easily.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the information. Where do these maps come from?
    Someone answered somewhat, but as I usually do, here's too much information:

You can gather up a map once every 18 hours on a DoL job.

For Miner or Botanist, Dragonskin maps are gathered from lv60 nodes in Heavensward zones and Gazelleskin maps are from lv70 nodes in Stormblood zones. I think you can access them at lv56 and lv66, respectively. Note that there are also Wyvernskin (Lv60), and Gaganaskin (Lv70) maps that are tailored to be done solo, but they don't open portals and generally don't have very good loot. There are also several lv50-and-lower maps.

Maps can also be obtained from similar-ish leveled waters via Fisher, but I don't know the specifics. I think the lv70 maps come from Spearfishing.

They are also buyable on the markets, and often an option for filling out 9 seals in the Wondrous Tails book.