Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

2014-15 NFL Week 10: Back-up Quarterbacks and the Playoff Picture

Even though the Houston Texans are on a bye, the lead story for me this week is head coach Bill O'Brien's decision to start Ryan Mallett over Ryan Fitzpatrick when they go to Cleveland next week. If you count Mallett and Mark Sanchez (I'll get to the Sanchize in a minute) that's sixteen "back-up" quarterbacks that will start a game this season, including Tennessee, Washington, and Minnesota rolling three-deep on starters. And we're only about halfway through the season. For most coaches, answering questions about the back-up quarterback position is pretty

But more and more it's unlikely for a team to go the entire season with only one guy throwing meaningful passes. How do you feel about your team's quarterback depth? And would you sign Chad Pennington right now?

Also, here's your mid-season playoff snapshot with stunning artwork by me:

Raise your hand if you had Arizona and Detroit getting the top two seeds in the NFC. And the AFC is a mess, five other teams are 5-4 or better (CLE, BUF, MIA, SD, BAL) so those two wild card spots are going to be really tough to get.

Last week:

M/L: 10-3
    ATS: 7-6

Overall:

M/L: 82-51-1
    ATS: 62-70-2

Cincy couldn't cover against Jacksonville at home. Seattle couldn't cover against Oakland at home. Gambling is fun.

Bye week: Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New England, San Diego, Washington

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 6TH

8:25pm EST, NFL Network

Cleveland at Cincinnati (-6.5) - In years past, I could enjoy a nice evening of Mike Mayock breaking down plays and talking about underrated talent. Now I just get Jim Nantz minus the cheesy CBS promos, which is still pretty good I guess, and Phil Simms, who does a good job of... uh....

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3227...msballdemo.gif

10 HOLD BALL
    20 HUNCH OVER
    30 CREEPY STARE
    40 BLINK
    50 SMIRK
    60 GOTO 10
    RUN

The Browns are 4-1 over their last five games but haven't exactly looked like a team taking control of their destiny. Cincy has also struggled at times but they're basically the walking wounded. This should be a competitive game but the worry for Cleland is getting enough offense with Jordan CAM'RON out with a concussion. Bengals win, Browns with the points.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9TH

1:00pm EST, CBS

Kansas City at Buffalo (+2) - I was one of many to predict a serious regression for the Chiefs this year, but there they are in a playoff spot and with a +62 point differential through eight games. They also get to play Oakland twice, so expect that number to continue to grow. A steady diet of Charles/Davis and the league's best pass defense is the blue print for Andy Reid. Former Dolphin Sean Smith has really come into his own in his second year in KC with 10 passes defensed already this season. Buffalo would also like to play the ground game and defense strategy but they're still missing CJ Spiller, and Fred Jackson was limited in practice. So it might be Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon carrying the load again this week. More bad news for Buffalo is Sammy Watkins left practice early with a groin injury. If Buffalo was at full strength here, I'd be more inclines to pick them at home. As it stands now, I'm taking the Chiefs to win and cover.

Miami at Detroit (-3) - Miami has three straight wins and Ryan Tannehill is on fire. He isn't putting up gaudy fantasy numbers, but he's got a 68% completion percentage, 761 yards, 6 TDs, and only 1 INT to go with 143 yards rushing over those three games. Giving him the green light to call his own number has really opened up the offense and made them more efficient. Factor in their 3rd ranked defense in yardage and points allowed per game, and you have a very dangerous team in the AFC playoff hunt. Detroit just had their bye week at the perfect time, coming off their London trip where they looked unprepared in the first half against Atlanta. Calvin Johnson should be close to full speed again, so he and Stafford will be putting Miami's secondary to the test. Brent "GRIMEY" Grimes is a very good corner, but he's generously listed at 5'10". Under 43.5 seems like a good play considering how tough both defenses are, but I'll take the home team coming off a bye. Lions win, Dolphins with the points.

Tennessee at Baltimore (-10) - At 2-6, I guess Tennessee has nothing better to do than send Zach Mettenberger out to be a sacrificial lamb to the Ravens defense. Jake Locker is healed from his thumb injury but still has to watch from the sidelines. With Charlie Whitehurst, all three quarterbacks have started a game this year, and Clipboard Jesus actually has the best numbers of the group. Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright are actually a decent pair of receivers but the inability to get them the ball consistently has really been a problem. Baltimore is probably hungry for murder redemption after last week's embarrassing loss to Pittsburgh. At 5-2 they looked poised to take control of the AFC, but two straight losses to division opponents have knocked them out of the playoffs for now. In other news Terrell Suggs is a piece of shit:

That's worse than the Burfict Twist in my opinion. Anyway, they really need a strong performance here, and I think they get it. Ravens win and cover.

Pittsburgh at NY Jets (+5.5) -

Let's talk about Big Ben for a second. He's a very good quarterback. He's had a passer rating over 90 and a QBR over 54 every year since 2009. But this two-game stretch is absolutely ridiculous. 862 yards, 12 TDs, 0 INTs. That's a full season for some guys. I think Roethlisberger likes playing with Martavis Bryant, a 6'4" rookie from Clemson who has 5 TDs in three games since being on the active gameday roster. What can I say about the Jets that hasn't already been said about US Congressman Michael Grimm (link)? They both force everyone in America to realize what a hopeless cesspool of human failure and suffering New York truly is. Steelers win and cover.

1:00pm EST, FOX

Dallas at Jacksonville (+7) - The third and mercifully last game in London this year, the Cowboys and Jaguars head to Wembley Stadium to once again confuse and annoy as many Britons as possible. So that whole "why did they put Romo back in against the 'Skins?" thing looks pretty silly after we all saw the full power of BRANDON WEEDEN last week. Meanwhile Jacksonville played a really good game in Cincy until Jeremy Hill broke a late 60-yard TD to seal their defeat. The offensive leadership of

and the surprising production of Denard Robinson and Allens Hurns and Robinson are keeping them out of the basement in most offensive categories. Unfortunately their run defense is still shit, so DeMarco Murray is going to do just fine. If he doesn't get 20 touches by halftime, I'm pretty sure Jason Garrett will be fired on the spot and Jerruh will put the headset on himself. Cowboys win and cover.

San Francisco at New Orleans (-4.5) -

lol

I guess we should call that the Taint-Fumble? I thought the 49ers might miss the playoffs, but not like this. In a year where Seattle is sleepwalking through their Super Bowl hangover, this is not the best time for Jim Harbaugh to keep costing his team wins. His defense is as good as ever, but the offense needs a serious dose of Carlos Hyde. I've been waiting all season for the Saints offense to explode, but it's been more of a slow crawl back to old form for Drew Brees. And he's had plenty of help from Mark Ingram, who added another 100 yards rushing and 2 TDs to his already impressive stretch. At 4-4 but in sole possession of first place in the NFC South, I expect them to continue their upward trend, especially with Jimmy Graham back at full strength. Saints win and cover.

Atlanta at Tampa Bay (+1.5) - I haven't followed the Falcons that closely since Hard Knocks, but I have to think Mike Smith's job is in serious jeopardy. With no offensive line and no pass rush to speak of, Atlanta's problems go beyond the injury bug. Then again, they're playing a team they clobbered 56-14 seven weeks ago, so maybe it's time to get healthy. Tampa is going back to Josh McCown after the Mike Glennon experience left a lot to be desired. Lovie Smith still called Glennon "the quarterback of the future" but unless he's talking about the FXFL I think he's delusional. Come the 2015 Draft it may be Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston as the Bucs quarterback of the future. I'd watch this game just for JULIO and Mike Evans, but otherwise there's not much to like. Falcons win and cover I guess.

4:05pm EST, CBS

Denver at Oakland (+11.5) -

Broncos win and cover.

4:25pm EST, FOX

St. Louis at Arizona (-7) - Jeff the Giant Killer was at it again last week, taking down the 49ers just two weeks after he did the same to Seattle. Can he make it three division wins in a row? The Rams will need the same ferocious pass rush to do it. They sacked the Kraepper eight times for 54 yards last week, and also recovered two of his fumbles. That's how you win a game with only 193 yards of total offense. Arizona might have the best record in football but they're only +36 in point differential, tied for 8th in the league. That's still good but let's not get carried away here, they're 16th in DVOA and 24th in offense DVOA. Andre Ellington had a good game against Dallas and he'll need to continue if Arizona wants to maintain its winning ways. Anything can happen with the St. Louis front seven but I still like Palmer to run the offense well. Cardinals win, Rams with the points.

NY Giants at Seattle (-9) - Two garbage TDs means the final score don't tell the story of how New York was down 40-10 in the 4th quarter on Monday night. Maybe having Eli Manning drop back to pass more than 50 times isn't the best idea? And now the Prince of Glass Amukamara is done for the year (again). The silver lining is Ol' Dirty Beckham had a breakout game: 8 catches on 11 targets for 156 yards. Starting a young receiver against Seattle last year was laughable, but this year's vintage is a bit more forgiving. They let Oakland hang around for too long and Marshawn Lynch had a decidedly TRENT-like 3.2 yards per carry. Is this just a team that's lost focus? Or are they just not that good? I'm not sure, but they should run the Giants out of the stadium most of the time. I guess I'll bet on a resurgence at home. Seahawks win and cover.

8:30pm EST, NBC

Chicago at Green Bay (-7) - So Chicago was 1-4 in the five games before their bye, and Cutler has a 67.0 passer rating against Green Bay for his career. Any hope for optimism? Well, they still have a very good and balanced offense. Brandon Marshall can't possibly be as bad as he was in the first half of the season. And the defense could improve coming off a bye I guess? Probably not but anything can happen. The bad news is Green Bay is also coming off a bye and you just know Aaron Rodgers is gonna unleash hell after his two picks against the Saints. If Chicago can lean on Forte enough, they can keep pace with the Packers offense. If not, this will be another boat race. I'll hedge and say Packers win, Bears with the points.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH

Carolina at Philadelphia (-6) -

MARK SANCHEZ IS FINALLY GOING TO BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED

Here are some things he did before.

- Picked his nose and wiped it on his teammate

- Lined up at wide receiver

- Tried being a kicker

- Got his teammates involved in the offense

- Ate a hot dog

- Authored the single most hilarious play in NFL history

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/17...sel_medium.gif

- Was the worst starting quarterback in NFL history

(link)

As for the Cats, boy, that tie with Cincy really felt like a win, didn't it? But since then they've dropped three straight, scoring a whopping 12 points per game. Chip Kelly described Cam Newton as "the complete package at quarterback" but the way he's been airmailing receivers lately it seems like he's pressing. Defensively I think they can stack the box and make it hard for Shady McCoy, forcing Sanchez to throw. And Philly's defense isn't anything special, so maybe Cam can settle down and find his groove. I think 48 is high for an O/U considering this is the Sanchize we're working with, so I'd avoid that. Eagles win, Panthers with the points.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I'm probably retarded but how do the Bengals and the Steelers both skip the Wildcard round?

I think you're counting out TTTB

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    I'm probably retarded but how do the Bengals and the Steelers both skip the Wildcard round?
    They.. don't?

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post

I think you're counting out TTTB
    The WC round would be PIT v IND and KC v CIN if the season ended right now. NE would get the lowest remaining seed and DEN the other team.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Sorry, I'm reading the chart wrong.

Like I said, I'm retarded.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

In slightly less useless posting, I see Arizona getting the division. Seattle may have a bye this week but Arizona's up by two and I see the Hawks splitting with SF at best.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

That is the greatest image Bregs has ever posted. Bravo on the brackets sir.

Also, London keeps getting shittastic games lol

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    That is the greatest image Bregs has ever posted. Bravo on the brackets sir.

Also, London keeps getting shittastic games lol
    What, the Lions weren't as awesome as ever?!?!

But seriously, if the Lions win the division I'll be mega happy and crazy surprised. Wild card would suffice. To Breg's question in the OP, would I sign Chad Peezy to a contract? Yes sir! I can't even tell you who Detroit's backup is. Every time I see Fat Stafford get breathed on heavily I pray he's not out for the season. Otherwise, I think Detroit is ok. Everyone loves to shit on the D, and I get it. But, I'm extremely happy for Joique Bell. While I'm sure many have similar stories, I think it's awesome how he worked as security for the Lions while going to school at Wayne State University in Detroit (D2 shithole) and ends up playing in Detroit. If anyone is interested in his story here is an article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ing-for-better

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Lions at #2?

Pass that shit son.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Adajer View Post
    Lions at #2?

Pass that shit son.
    If you're talking about my awesome artwork, it's not a prediction, just what the current playoff standings are.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

considering MS paint, you did a sick job on most of the logos. especially pats. lol @ the whiskers on the lion

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    considering MS paint, you did a sick job on most of the logos. especially pats. lol @ the whiskers on the lion
    I was gonna say, if this si why it took you until Thursday afternoon to post the thread then I forgive you because bravo.
    My fav part is how shitty your cowboys star is which was the most simple of all, yet you made some really good more ocmplex ones, esp like the broncos lol

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

pats, broncos, hawks, eagles all great. saints looks like a pealed banana

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Iggles was the most fun but since it's mostly Riley Cooper-approved I couldn't make terrible use of the fill tool

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

2015 London games

New York Jets at Miami Dolphins - Week 4: Sunday, October 4

Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars - Week 7: Sunday, October 25

Detroit Lions at Kansas City Chiefs - Week 8: Sunday, November 1

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

mark sanchez goes to the super bowl, jets fans kill themselves

dram tram

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

spags, we're enemies once again

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    If you're talking about my awesome artwork, it's not a prediction, just what the current playoff standings are.
    If only Trestman could draw up plays half as well.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

im not your friend, buddy

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Closed Thread