Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Help a Gamer Breathe Again (rez plz)

So last year my oldest friend was in an ATV accident and broke his back. He lost all use of his legs, with only partial use of his hands left. He's been on a ventilator ever since. He was born with Cerebral Palsy, and when we were kids he had leg braces, canes and scooters and everything. He eventually didn't need the mechanical assistance anymore, but he got good enough at falling to develop techniques to not hurt himself doing it.

He's big into gaming and introduced me to Pokemon and my first JRPG. He loves to tinker, so we spent a lot of time taking toys apart and putting them back together in new ways.

His treatment has reached a point where he needs more specialized help to wean off the ventilator. He's got Medicare, obviously, but the place he needs to go is across the country, and out of realistic helicopter/ambulance range so he needs a medical plane to get him there. That's a huge deductible.

His fiancee has set up a fundraiser to help get him there. Anything helps, and I'd like to see him get the treatment he needs.

Fundraiser Page

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Your friend needs to look into something like Angelflight

I know the guy that runs the local chapter of AngelFlight. He is a pilot for Delta and does flight training, medical flights, and joyride flights in a vintage Piper Cub all for free in his spare time. There are many people out there like him that can plan and coordinate with the hospital to do the flight free of charge for the patient.

what a tasteful topic for that spam

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

at least it got bumped rite

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I'd assumed they had looked into angelflight etc but I'll mention it to make sure.

Banned.

BG Level

I know the guy that runs the local chapter of AngelFlight. He is a pilot for Delta and does flight training, medical flights, and joyride flights in a vintage Piper Cub all for free in his spare time. There are many people out there like him that can plan and coordinate with the hospital to do the flight free of charge for the patient.

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

^ What in the...?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Bots. Whatevs, I'll take the bump. Collin still needs more specialized care.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Benefit planned for Kleditz

A benefit for Collin Kleditz will begin at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 18, at Silver Lake Lanes, Scandinavia.

Proceeds from the benefit will help with uninsured expenses for Kleditz, who became a quadriplegic after a July 2013 ATV accident.

According to his fiancé, Amber Joers, of Scandinavia, his C6-7 vertebrae were fractured, leaving him breathing through a ventilator, with no leg function and limited hand and arm function.
    So I went down to visit him last month, and he's improving, albeit slowly. Got some more details, though some things are still unclear as it is difficult to hold a conversation with him while he's on the ventilator. He was riding in a trailer hooked up to an ATV, and the trailer came unhitched and flipped over. His fiancee was driving, and not fast at all.

The funds are, as I understand it, to get him home, rather than to a new facility. There are two facilities that can better serve him: The one in Colorado which could take him as he is, or one nearby that can only take him if he can get off the ventilator. The latter is preferable, and would, I believe, be the next step towards him ultimately going home. But they don't have a lot of the requirements that home living would entail: accessible vehicles, accessible home, wheelchairs, that sort of thing.

I am, alas, not attending the benefit. 3.5 hour drive, and our other plans fell through so it would be 7 hours of driving in one day... and my parents and I don't have the energy for that. But we're pitching in what we can. You can, too, here: HelpHopeLive Collin Kleditz

Anything at all is much appreciated. If you happen to live nearby, feel free to stop by and say hello. Tell them the Other Collin sent you.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I never, and the Kalmado means EEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRRR (Chris Jericho) donates money. I have a hard enough time as it is in a way for myself. But I donated a $10 spot because Bane, you're alright in my book. I hope your friend gets better.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Thank you!

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Kleditz, Collin's Mom
    Collin has been OFF the vent for 3 DAYS! Praise the Lord! Using his speaking valve, so sweet to hear that voice again
    As of yesterday. So excited. They're looking at accessible homes now, as the next step is him going home.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Update: Collin is going home! Much progress has been made to make his parent's house accessible. They've built an exterior ramp that hooks around the house to allow entry through the patio doors on the main floor from the main driveway area (said driveway area being at basement level). I'm not sure what they've done inside the house, so I'm guessing he'll be living on the main floor in the living room for now. Unless they knocked a hole in the basement wall for a new door. They may have; Hard to get an accurate picture of all they've done from ~400 miles away. But as much as they've done, much yet remains to do.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Update: late last year collins health took a turn for the worse. He had surgery recently to remove several abscesses, but due to his overall poor health and nutrition levels he is not healing. He has made the decision to cease treatment and live out the remainder of his life with family and friends. He married his fiancee this past weekend and is presently at home. Last update i have from his mom is that he is struggling to breathe right now, but Ill be visiting tonight and tomorrow morning to say hi.

Thank you to those of you who pitched in to support Collin over the last few years. Its been a long struggle for him and I think hes finally had enough.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Collin has passed away.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's a small consolation, but I'm sure he was happy to be surrounded by people who loved him tremendously.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Oh my. My condolences to you and everyone around him.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't know what to say. Condolences all around.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Collin has passed away.
    He was blessed to have friends and family that loved him so much.

Wesley Crusher 4 Lyfe!
    Skywalker's Severed Hand

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Psychodwarf Ironflute
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

condolences all around.