+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Square Enix General News     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The trailer was boring. The story is the same as basically every other RPG.

I played I am Setsuna, and the story in that game fell a bit short for me, although there were a couple interesting points. The story in this one looks even blander. I really hope this is set in the same world as Setsuna though, because otherwise it's unforgivable that they're using the exact same mob assets. I'm okay when FF does this for the common thread and nostalgia factor, but a stand-alone RPG with no ties to something else had better not do this because it's just lazy and uninspired. A single person with RPG maker could make something better.

It's disappointing that this studio doesn't seem to be able to take the classic RPG formula and make a really great game with it. After sitting through that trailer, I feel I've seen all I need to see of the story and characters. If all we're gonna get is a bunch of mediocre games from these guys, I'd rather they not even bother.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    It's disappointing that this studio doesn't seem to be able to take the classic RPG formula and make a really great game with it. After sitting through that trailer, I feel I've seen all I need to see of the story and characters. If all we're gonna get is a bunch of mediocre games from these guys, I'd rather they not even bother.
    Sadly, this is how I'm starting to feel too. Had my expectations a little higher than what they seem to be aiming for

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

They have their hearts in the right place, but as previously mentioned, without any imagination or (and this has been square's problem for a while now) deviation from the same formula over and over again, it's all going to get tiresome and eventually no one will care.

It makes money until it doesn't, then it goes away and we wish it could've been more. No one is daring to dream or do some crazy shit with their story to make it fun, interesting, or grabbing. I wish they'd stop pushing out mediocrity to appease the rose-tint and work on something truly amazing, but that doesn't make easy money. Then it ends up like FF15, KH3, etc.

Can't win. Can hope TRPGF sees what the problem is before it's too late and we have another "extraordinary loss" on our hands. Though, I don't think they're operating on that scale anyway. I'd like to say that's part of the problem, but I just don't feel like funding fucks over your ability to make an imaginative story, and I don't see square funneling money up their ass to create more of this.

In short, I expect nothing but more of the same coming down the pipe.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix and People Can Fly (Bulletstorm / Gears of War: Judgment) announce partnership
    quare Enix, one of the most influential providers of videogame entertainment in the world with award-winning and best-selling franchises such as Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider, today revealed a new, external development partnership with People Can Fly, the Warsaw-based studio which developed Bulletstorm and co-developed Gears of War: Judgment. The partnership will see the companies work together to develop a new high-end original title for console and PC.

“We’re massively excited to be working with the talented team at PCF in Warsaw, a studio filled with people who really know their craft,” said Lee Singleton, Head of Studio at Square Enix London Studios. “We’re building a game we all want to play which will be the perfect addition to our portfolio.”

“It’s an exciting time,” said Sebastian Wojciechowski, Studio Head at People Can Fly. “We’ve got a great and experienced team in place, and it’s incredible to be working with Square Enix, a world-class publisher who shares our passion and excitement for the project.”

People Can Fly is expanding its team and looking to hire Gameplay Programmers, an AI Programmer, and a VFX Artist.
    http://peoplecanfly.com/career/

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    I would be. Managing multiple MMO titles by one company is not very feasible, add to that the fact that MMO genre in general is drying out and slowly dying.
    Don't they already do that with FFXI and that Dragon Quest MMO?

Anyway idk Kirin, one of those numbered titles might become an MMO, but only because its going to take forever for numbered titles to be released. They have the main BD1 working on 7R, BD2 is doing DLC for XV, I heard they were going to do a new IP after XV is done? So the number titles are going to come out super super slowly.

I could see XVII as an MMO, but I can't imagine it being released in the next 5 or so years.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

But that's it - they already have a couple of them to manage and:
    - Dragon Quest is JP only, which means A LOT less hassle with this one
    - FFXI is also now being handled by a very small team that barely manages to add stuff to the game

idk, i guess the question is who would make the game for SE? If we see people peel away from XIV to go work on an unannounced project, yeah. I don't think they're in a hurry to make a next-gen MMO given the nature of 1.0's release, and the fact XIV is probably doing tremendously for them. They're actually selling millions of copies of expansion packs, so I think it would be better for them to focus on XIV.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

And it may not be a MMO in a traditional sense, but something closer to a modified episodic model where people can co-op "episodes" of the title every few months for 10-20 bucks.

I do agree that they kinda need to fix the mistakes of XV first before tackling another XI or XIV. But then again they havnt seemed to learn the lessons from XIII yet either, so who the hell knows.

I wonder if they'll pursue the episodic model still. They recently ditched the studio that makes the Hitman games. I kinda assumed Hitman was the poster child of the success of the episodic model, I guess they weren't happy with Hitman? They also have Life is Strange, but that's still going to be a completely different scale compared to a HUGE title like an FF7R or XVI.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I wonder if they'll pursue the episodic model still. They recently ditched the studio that makes the Hitman games. I kinda assumed Hitman was the poster child of the success of the episodic model, I guess they weren't happy with Hitman? They also have Life is Strange, but that's still going to be a completely different scale compared to a HUGE title like an FF7R or XVI.
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...=1#post6906552

Not episodic per say, more like seasonal content.

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...=1#post6906552

Not episodic per say, more like seasonal content.
    Huh... I can't imagine what that would look like. I see it a lot in COop and competitive titles but something like final Fantasy?

Historically that's why we have the season pass, interest in single player Dlc only goes so far time wise.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'm so pumped for the cross promotion event.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I'm too tired right now to find the source but there was an annual report from SE that basically said something to the effect of NieR doing well and showing potential to become a major franchise. I'm not sure how I feel about this in general, but if Taro's on board, I am too.

Edit: Here's the source. http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2017en.pdf

“NieR:Automata,” which we released in February 2017, has proven a global hit far in excess of our expectations. It has not only reminded the world of the high quality of Japanese games, but also demonstrated significant potential for future franchise development.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    I'm too tired right now to find the source but there was an annual report from SE that basically said something to the effect of NieR doing well and showing potential to become a major franchise. I'm not sure how I feel about this in general, but if Taro's on board, I am too.
    They've already begun hiring for the sequel.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I want a good print of an Amano painting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    I want a good print of an Amano painting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fuck that. I want an original. I would assume it wouldn’t be that expensive comparatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    But that's it - they already have a couple of them to manage and:
    - Dragon Quest is JP only, which means A LOT less hassle with this one
    - FFXI is also now being handled by a very small team that barely manages to add stuff to the game
    It appears YoshiP agrees with your conclusion: http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/new...-a-new-mmorpg/

An important thing to note, for others, is that he isnt JUST ff14's director, but the head of the business division that handles all the MMOs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag