+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You know, something occured to me about Rey. Being the new character and all, she must be made more powerful or at least more talented and adept than previous teachers/legends. Otherwise how else would yoou maintain powercreep? Obviously they couldn't release a weak character and expect people to get behind her (wink wink), but do you know a movie or a book where a new character is introduced and he/she is NOT better or more powerful than their predecessor, and yet becomes new best thing since sliced bread?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

This isn't an MMO, we don't need powercreep. Plenty of good stories go from the hero/group of heroes having it really good then shit going bad. Heroes lose their powers, their friends, their sanity and we as an audience just love hanging around for the ride.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That was not my question.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    You know, something occured to me about Rey. Being the new character and all, she must be made more powerful or at least more talented and adept than previous teachers/legends. Otherwise how else would yoou maintain powercreep? Obviously they couldn't release a weak character and expect people to get behind her (wink wink), but do you know a movie or a book where a new character is introduced and he/she is NOT better or more powerful than their predecessor, and yet becomes new best thing since sliced bread?
    Check out the Hero Monomyth, I think that's what you are concerned about. "Hero" starts out in a nadir (Rey is scavenging for her life and food). She is "called to adventure" by BB-8, faced with trials along the way. She reaches "death" or the "abyss" when fighting Kylo (and in another instance earlier when Han is killed). Through that fight she transforms, grabs the saber and kicks a little ass (we see some of this transformation trickling out when she mind fucks James Bond). The "Return" is staged when she finds Luke.

This cycle happens for any hero-type, strong or weak. Odysseus fits the category perfectly even though we know he's a strong badass hero of the Iliad. I don't know why Rey needs to be stronger or weaker than a predecessor - than young Luke? Than older franchise characters? As Alistaire said it's about the ride, through its trials and tribulations.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Right, but unlike her predecessor, she doesn't really struggle with those trials.

From the top. Luke gets his head nearly ripped off after he goes to save R2D2, Rey literally shoos the guy who's trying to capture BB8, away. Luke gets his ass saved by Obi-Wan when he gets into altercation in a cantina, whereas Rey single handedly fights off 2 bruisers sent to capture BB8. Leia gets rescued by Han, Luke, Chewie and Obi-Wan, while Rey escapes on her own. She literally, confronts "her" Vader when Finn gets cut down having no training in Saber fighting at all, where as Luke ran like a bitch when Obi-Wan was made into air. And this is all happening after only 5 minutes of Maz's pep talk, when on the flip side, Luke actually had minor training. So we are left to believe that Rey, is this self capable, all powerful, neophyte who can do all of the above things on her own with no training.

Look, I am not arguing the whole Mary Sue thing, but her "struggle" is not plausible in the context of the movie. Sure, she had to fend for herself whereas Luke had Aunt and Uncle taking care of him, but are we saying that a sheltered child will grow up less competent than a feral one living on her own?

And as far as Odysseus, he used his wits rather than brute force, sure he was great with a bow, but he outwitted the Cyclops and Circe. My point is, I don't think Rey truly falls into the category of Hero Monomyth. Look at Harry Potter, guy fails a bunch of times before he can succeed, and even then he never truly accomplishes anything on his own. His ass gets saved countless times or he's assisted by his companions. That's why I said it's a power creep. Not in a sense that MMO would have it, but the next hero that comes after Rey would have to be so powerful, he would blink out the universe out of existence with one word (exaggeration, obviously.) I think making her this powerful and super-duper awesome, was actually a selling tactic. It just had to be done.

There's plenty of female characters to draw from even in Star Wars universe. Granted they were not as prominent as Rey or rather the main focus of "the hero's struggle", but they still had far more to offer as deep characters than her. Although even then I could argue that many were very pivotal to the overall story (Leia, Ahsoka, Bariss, Padme.) I can only hope they do Rey's character justice in the upcoming movie.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Luke "running away" when Vader cut down Obi-Wan was more it was time to escape, they were going to be overwhelmed and killed/captured.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And they weren't going to be overwhelmed by the Stormtroopers on the walkway after Han's death? If Chewie didn't go ham, they wouldn't escape. They also didn't exactly leave the Starkiller when they ran out, they were still at the installation. Ren seeked them out and confronted them.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Filming for Ep 8 has finished

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

News getting out now that Disney had an insurance policy taken out on Carrie Fisher so they would get paid a settlement if she became unable to complete episodes 7, 8, and 9. Looks like Lloyds of London will be paying Disney a $50 million claim--the largest single claim in the company's history.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

That's to cover the costs of CGing her into episode 9.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Same thing happened with Paul Walker for Furious 7. It's a pretty standard thing for the movie industry.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yeah; I imagine it wasn't just Fisher who was covered.

pretty sure it's fairly expensive to insure tom cruise on his movies since he's a crazy motherfucker and does most of his stunts

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Story spoilers that may be cut from the film because Leia was meant to have a larger role in EP9
    Spoiler: show
    Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-future-960849

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

BUT DIGITAL OLD LEIA!

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I want to click....but must.... resist....

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just click it. It's in broad terms of people she would've shared scenes with.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

New ending for Episode VIII to be shot. Luke flies off in his X-Wing, only to notice another X-Wing on his side. A CGI Leia is piloting. They exchanged nods of their heads. Luke flies off in one direction. Leia flies off in the other direction. Wiz Khalifa song begins to play. Entire ending credits is See You Again instead of John Williams. There, fixed it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    New ending for Episode VIII to be shot. Luke flies off in his X-Wing, only to notice another X-Wing on his side. A CGI Leia is piloting. They exchanged nods of their heads. Luke flies off in one direction. Leia flies off in the other direction. Wiz Khalifa song begins to play. Entire ending credits is See You Again instead of John Williams. There, fixed it.
    "And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries