+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Ant-Man 2 still made more than twice their film budget + marketing costs in total WW sales.
    Yeah so still chugging along. I just assume it will slow down, especially as all of the OG stars age out and move on to other projects

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Marvel has an established universe and lore where saturation hasn't been a problem. Moving forward their job is to maintain that universe.

Star Wars' greatest problem has been consistency. The prequels screwed up and so had every attempt to build on it once Disney took over and declared the EU dead.

They had a universe that went ignored because of Iger.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210514180.html

Leia was originally meant to be "the last jedi" with Rise to be her send-off.

She was going to be the big payoff in the final film. She was going to be the last Jedi, so to speak. That’s cool right? People used to say to me, ‘Why is it that Carrie never gets a lightsaber and chops up some bad guys.’ Obi-Wan was in his prime when he was Carrie’s age!

The truth is that J.J. Abrams was great friends with Carrie... he had an extraordinary sense of love for her. They had eight minutes of footage. They grabbed every frame and analyzed it... and then reverse-engineered it and [got] it into the story the right way. It’s kind of magical. This is, in its own way, a payoff... It’s Carrie talking to us all from beyond. The beautiful thing about the concept of the Force is that there is no real death; you just exist in another dimension.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Why bold something that was quoted from Carrie fishers brother who is basically just a fan?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Why bold something that was quoted from Carrie fishers brother who is basically just a fan?

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Lol damnit

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

A few new scenes

Dolby Cinema-exclusive poster

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I feel like that poster is from the opening sequence of The Last Jedi

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Bought my tickets last night. Fair amount of seats still available for AMC Dolby screening, more than I thought I'd see but then again, TLJ...

I didn't see anything about a poster on the website but maybe they'll hand it out after we turn our tickets in.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Kathleen Kennedy Describes how Hard it is to Develop Films Due to the Lack of Canon Source Material
    Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does. You start by talking to filmmakers who you think exhibit the sensibilities that you’re looking for.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...r-wars-912393/

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well maybe if they didn’t completely toss Lucas and the entirety of the EU to the side they’d have something to draw from.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

No source material? Are they fucking stupid?

the horrors of coming up with an original story, THE HORRORS

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Might have been easier if they didn't treat them as independent movies and had a plan for an overall story from the beginning.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Might have been easier if they didn't treat them as independent movies and had a plan for an overall story from the beginning.
    I can kind of see it both ways.

If you plan for 3 movies at once, you're likely going to get too huge or overreach at one point and then have to start snipping. Snipping can lead to inadvertently cutting something major or important lore-wise. If you plan 12 hours worth of story, you then have to cut it down to 8 hours worth of movie and pray you are able to fit everything in.

If you plan for one at a time, you need to ensure that many of the same people are involved to keep that continuity. You lose the sweeping outlook of vision in doing a longer story in the planning stages, but it does let you adapt as you go and add/remove concepts with a little more clarity instead of trying to fit it into "movie #2's 2 hours".

They've done the second option more or less, but without ensuring that continuity between staff. That leads to interpretation holes (TLJ), poor story pacing (TLJ), mishandling of story concepts (Solo), reliance on shoehorning stories to some success (Rogue One), or some director eager to make his mark on cinematic history to do something radically different because it's his pet project (TLJ), and finally the apology series done right (Mandalorian).

It was mentioned before and hit the nail on the head. Marvel is now established with set concepts and more importantly consistency. Star Wars has the set concepts in de-canon'ed previous works and existing films, but is wildly inconsistent in presentation and polish. That is Kennedy's problem, and why that comment of hers is a lot shortsighted.

It's not difficult to do original stories if you know and love the material and it's laughable to say there's no source material to draw from like anyone else who made a Star Wars thing before this trilogy wasn't even trying.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    the horrors of coming up with an original story, THE HORRORS
    Hearkens to GoT: "we ran out of source material!"

Imagine writing an original screenplay!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Well maybe if they didn’t completely toss Lucas and the entirety of the EU to the side they’d have something to draw from.
    This right here. If they hadn't tossed that shit out I have no doubt their movies would be doing better I think.

When they tossed out the EU I knew right away they were flushing this IP down the fucking drain.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I thought Lucas left them with some kind of story outline for a sequel trilogy lol?