+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Movie was alright. I want to like it a lot more then I did, but I feel like it suffers from "its a prequel so I know how it ends" syndrome. If it wasn't for the fan service a lot of the movie would have fallen flat, and a lot of it will for people who haven't refreshed on the original movies. The fan service in the last 15min of the movie is beyond amazing though, really setting up IV well. Like, EP IV could take place a day after Rogue One and everything would line up; it's quite well done.

Spoiler: show
    All that said, a lot of the movie was setup in a way to expose enough about the important characters to care just enough when they all inevitably die. To that end, they did a good job, but when you see it coming from the moment the characters are introduced it makes the ride feel...long. And a lot of the movie felt long, even if I enjoyed certain parts A LOT, and certain parts not so much. I did enjoy how every single person had their specific part to play, with their death coming immediately after they fulfilled their role, almost like the force was with them, and they were with the force . They might have pushed that line too much, but it really did give the movie a "the force enabled all this" vibe, which in the way it culminated with the Vader/Leia scene all makes sense. Like, literally every single (main) person had a specific role to play in getting Jyn to the tower to transmit the data, and as soon as they fulfilled their specific role the force decided it was time to end them. They hinted at this for every single fucking character, it's telegraphed so blatantly. I normally would be bothered by it, but the characters are so likeable that I'm letting it slide. Like I said, I want to like this movie a lot more than I did.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Backgrounds/atmosphere = 10/10. Truly breathtaking throughout. I was really looking forward to the scene was the tie fighter came right up on her and it never happened though.
    Some of the characters I didn't really care about at all when they died, but they weren't bad. I would have paid double the admission price just to watch the last 10 minutes of the movie. The ending was fucking phenomenal.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Music was great. Was it John Williams again?
    Pretty much loved it. My one major gripe was why Leia was on the corvette inside the other ship to begin with. Plus, it makes the whole "diplomatic mission" and "plans beamed to this ship" in ep4 kinda faulty (to me) (yes I know they sent the plans to the ship, but they didn't directly beam them to the corvette)

Otherwise I really enjoyed it. The homages to red+gold leader were fantastic. Red 5 dying so there's an opening for luke. Surprised we didn't see/hear wedge or Biggs though. Smits reprising his Bail role was superb and unexpected for me. Loved seeing Yavin 4 again and it fit in prefectly with the timeline. Will post a more in depth post tomorrow after work!

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Saw it. Liked it. Worth watching in theatres. I think that's about all of a review needs right?

I definitely get that notion where I want to like the movie more than I actually did. The Vader bit at the end seemed very extreme but it was fucking awesome to watch. I dont get why want to put so many different and new ships into the timeline that never appear ever again. it definitely felt like a side story and not an actual episode. I did like the fact that it didn't focus on force users and it showed how the other people that are fighting this fight interpret it rather than just Luke/Han and the gang etc. it was kind of refreshing to be pulled out of their shoes and put into someone else's.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Just got back from it. Def recommend. Good performances, good story, good action. I feel like it accomplished exactly what it set out to, an experience that was new but felt like a Star Wars movie.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Pretty much loved it. My one major gripe was why Leia was on the corvette inside the other ship to begin with. Plus, it makes the whole "diplomatic mission" and "plans beamed to this ship" in ep4 kinda faulty (to me) (yes I know they sent the plans to the ship, but they didn't directly beam them to the corvette)

Otherwise I really enjoyed it. The homages to red+gold leader were fantastic. Red 5 dying so there's an opening for luke. Surprised we didn't see/hear wedge or Biggs though. Smits reprising his Bail role was superb and unexpected for me. Loved seeing Yavin 4 again and it fit in prefectly with the timeline. Will post a more in depth post tomorrow after work!
    John Williams did not do the score. Some of his classic SW tracks are in the film, but there is an original score done by someone else. His name escapes me at the moment, but it's the same dude that did the score for the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot. And he actually completed the score in about four weeks on a crunch because they had problems with their original choice

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also I hope Alan Tudyk gets some recognition for his role here, I thought he really was the best new character.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

He was terrific. I can explain a lot of the spoilers gripe above when I get back in front of my computer.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

All the actors are great, voice actors included.

Idk man, it focuses on many deaths like they focused on the Han death, like it's supposed to mean as much to me. It didn't, but it's probably the best movie aside from Seven Samurai where the team gets assembled and finished/killed by the end. I don't know if that reference will make sense to people.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Spoilers dude.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Spoilers dude.

Well we made it about 12 hours after US release this time.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post

Well we made it about 12 hours after US release this time.
    A new record.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Saw it. Liked it. Worth watching in theatres. I think that's about all of a review needs right?

I definitely get that notion where I want to like the movie more than I actually did. The Vader bit at the end seemed very extreme but it was fucking awesome to watch. I dont get why want to put so many different and new ships into the timeline that never appear ever again. it definitely felt like a side story and not an actual episode. I did like the fact that it didn't focus on force users and it showed how the other people that are fighting this fight interpret it rather than just Luke/Han and the gang etc. it was kind of refreshing to be pulled out of their shoes and put into someone else's.
    I agree but they did mention that the transporter was being retired(yeah but come on like a day before you start using the new transporter lol). Vader scene I thought was well done as dude just slow walked through all of them. I don't think outside of the transports that a few one offs were that big a deal. I liked that it showed the normal person's perspective of the war and as soon as a force user shows up, you're fucked.

I still recommend it for everyone. I enjoyed TFA a lot more but like it was mentioned the scenery was amazing and I really did like the final battle.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post

They tell you why Leia would be there when they are talking on Yavin 4. Mon Mothma and Bail Organa are talking about getting the plans to the Senate and Bail makes mention of how he would send someone (Leia). It would make sense that she would be with the group going to get the data, no? That was my take anyway.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

They tell you why Leia would be there when they are talking on Yavin 4. Mon Mothma and Bail Organa are talking about getting the plans to the Senate and Bail makes mention of how he would send someone (Leia). It would make sense that she would be with the group going to get the data, no? That was my take anyway.
    Looking over Reddit and it amazes me how many dumbasses were confused and thought he was talking about Ashoka because Mon Mothma asked about Bail's Jedi friend (she clearly meant Obi-Wan), but then a few sentences later Bail says "I'd trust her with my life." (clearly talking about Leia), but dummies wanna dummy. Just reminds me the world is full of people like macross.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Looking over Reddit and it amazes me how many dumbasses were confused and thought he was talking about Ashoka because Mon Mothma asked about Bail's Jedi friend (she clearly meant Obi-Wan), but then a few sentences later Bail says "I'd trust her with my life." (clearly talking about Leia), but dummies wanna dummy. Just reminds me the world is full of people like macross.
    Yeah, I've stayed away from Reddit on this. Lots of stupid.

Yeah, I've stayed away from Reddit on this. Lots of stupid.
    You're talking about the people that wondered why Kylo lost to Rey... <_<; I Mean come on.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, those people.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Did you bros get any neat trailers? I think my showing had a legit 20 minutes of trailers.
    Logan
    Spider-man: Homecoming
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Sing
    The Baby Boss
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Transformers: The Last Knight

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux