Two different scenarios being described here
    How so?

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    How so?
    You're talking about the city on the hill and he's talking about the island at the end of the movie

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This movie was fun to watch with lots of fan service, but it's a 6/10 at best.

Spoiler: show
    Do we even know what Jyn was in jail/labor camp for? Rebels free anyone just for the hell of it I guess? So during Imperial occupation people are permitted to carry weapons without random stop and frisk? Seeing Ghost flying in space was a nice treat, but I didn't see that ship fire a single shot in the 4 times it showed up on the screen. Saw's situation seemed logical if you remember him from Clone Wars, but Whitaker just didn't get you there. Vader's castle and the bacta tank reveal was probably the best part. Now I want a movie about how they built Vader's castle. Who cares about the Death Star. Speaking of which, how does Rebelion don't know about a huge fucking battle station being constructed in the span of 20 odd years? The deaths of Rogue One crew was legit and I actually like that. CGI Tarkin was very well done. CGI Leia, was unnecessary.

All in all, it was an OK film.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not defending the movie just pointing out things that were clearly pointed out in the movie.
    1) they list her crimes against the empire.
    2) they free her from the work camp because they need her to gain audience with saw gerera after the defected pilot goes to him with information.
    3) There were tons of other people clearly sitting there in the town with weapons that the imperials didn't give a shit about. How about the guy that was with Donnie yens character that basically carries a backpack worth of bullets and they don't take it away from him.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Guess I missed that bit. It would make sense why they wanted her.

One of the best parts in movie was with Chirut (Yen) when they were taken by the rebels and they place a bag over his head and he goes "Are you kidding me?!" It was so perfectly delivered. Loved it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Saw it today, loved it. I expected it to be Ewok movie-level in that it wouldn't be as powerful a film as the main series, but still help flesh out the SW universe. It actually exceeded my expectations by being a solid film that really is a good crack-filler. I still think TFA was more powerful, but I don't think that hurts this film.

Wanted to address this:

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    Loved the movie. The one small issue I'm seeing is...
    I assume we are made to think this feed immediately into Episode 4, with Vader chasing Leias ship. But when all of the ships were rushing to leave Yavin 4, 3PO and R2 were still chilling in the hanger, seemingly to stay behind. So how do they get on board Leias ship for the beginning of Episode 4?

Other than that. Amazing.
    I'll need the exact lines but doesn't C3PO say something to the effect of "oh we're going to X? No one ever tells me anything." I assume that means they were eventually boarded on Leia's ship even if we didn't see them actually board.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

I felt it dragged at some points, but was still pretty good. Pretty much echoing the praise already mentioned for the movie.

Bane on some macross levels of whoosh regarding the

fates of Rogue One. Anyone who saw ANH knows that the Death Star plans came at a great cost. This movie was just showing how great. The "hope" that Leia mentions at the end is that they actually have a chance against this massive and powerful weapon, and against the Empire. Did you not get the whole tone of desperation that the rebels had? The movie did a pretty good job of conveying that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Saw it today, loved it. I expected it to be Ewok movie-level in that it wouldn't be as powerful a film as the main series, but still help flesh out the SW universe. It actually exceeded my expectations by being a solid film that really is a good crack-filler. I still think TFA was more powerful, but I don't think that hurts this film.

Wanted to address this:

I'll need the exact lines but doesn't C3PO say something to the effect of "oh we're going to X? No one ever tells me anything." I assume that means they were eventually boarded on Leia's ship even if we didn't see them actually board.
    Actually the line was:

"Now they're going to Scarif? Why does no one tell me anything?"

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    I felt it dragged at some points, but was still pretty good. Pretty much echoing the praise already mentioned for the movie.

Bane on some macross levels of whoosh regarding the

fates of Rogue One. Anyone who saw ANH knows that the Death Star plans came at a great cost. This movie was just showing how great. The "hope" that Leia mentions at the end is that they actually have a chance against this massive and powerful weapon, and against the Empire. Did you not get the whole tone of desperation that the rebels had? The movie did a pretty good job of conveying that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the whole point of the movie was to build up how important the plans were and how close to defeat the rebels were.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, I got that, and that was one of the gripes I listed. basically everything involving the rebels came across as over the top to me. ham-fisted, even.

I think maybe I just don't like Star Wars as much as I did when I was a kid. I have this image of them in my head as these great stories, but when I go back and watch them again they're just as ham-fisted as the new ones.

I think I'm gonna mentally downgrade them (all of them) to Pacific Rim type movies: Fun, but not really very good at storytelling. And for that type of movie, Rogue One is great.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

KILL THE NON BELIEVER

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Finally going tomorrow night. Hype!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    You're talking about the city on the hill and he's talking about the island at the end of the movie
    But we were originally talking about:

when they got jumped in the city when they were trying to transport the kyber crystals.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    But we were originally talking about:

when they got jumped in the city when they were trying to transport the kyber crystals.
    I get that but the reference he was making was to something entirely different all together is all I was pointing out.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Rogue One totaled a $290.5 million opening weekend, making it the 2nd highest grossing December opening weekend of all time...just behind The Force Awakens which had a massive global opening weekend of $529 million.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Fun, but not really very good at storytelling.
    Not good at storytelling? I guess man.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    yeah, I got that, and that was one of the gripes I listed. basically everything involving the rebels came across as over the top to me. ham-fisted, even.

I think maybe I just don't like Star Wars as much as I did when I was a kid. I have this image of them in my head as these great stories, but when I go back and watch them again they're just as ham-fisted as the new ones.

I think I'm gonna mentally downgrade them (all of them) to Pacific Rim type movies: Fun, but not really very good at storytelling. And for that type of movie, Rogue One is great.
    I wouldn't blame you. Pop culture has elevated Star Wars to such divinity that when you actually sit back and watch the movies with no nostalgia-goggles, the cracks do show. The lame lines are there. The camp is there. Hard to square up with the cultural myth.

For a movie no one asked for, Rogue One scratches a worldbuilding itch. That it continues to build on the story everyone remembers from the OT is icing. You've got plenty of worlds , idiot stormtroopers, an oppressive empire and plenty of fun along the way. And it's just that, fun. Fun sorely missed in the prequels.

Star Wars is much like Final Fantasy. Don't read too much into it. Enjoy the ride. Cosigning that Donnie Yen line about being blindfolded being hilarious.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Easter egg I got a chuckle out of. Spoilering just incase.
    In ANH Luke boasts about blasting womp rats in his T-16 Skyhopper. In The Force Awakens, two First Order troopers can briefly be overheard talking about the new T-17s. In Rogue One, two Stormtroopers are overheard talking about how the T-15 had just been decommissioned.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Saw this last night. Best Star Wars film in the entire series imo. Definitely my favorite by far.