WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fucking love RLM's trolling!!

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Best video on that site

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

watched the mashup video. sweet christ nerds are painful

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Digital March 24th, Physical April 4th

Hah two big spoilers in that trailer.. I mean, if you haven't seen it at this point...

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Hah two big spoilers in that trailer.. I mean, if you haven't seen it at this point...
    at least 2 lol

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

This thread is old and dead now but I finally saw this movie. I read through the past comments on it when it came out and was kind of disappointed to see that many only thought it was okay and seemed to be holding the movie up to some mystery standard that all Star Wars movies must aspire to (and most fail to live up to, anyway).

I am not a huge Star Wars fan. I used to be because my friends were back in high school, so I know a bit of the extended lore and small things about the world that casual fans might miss. Nowadays I like Star Wars, but I don't get super hyped for it like everyone else does. So I was looking at this as a worldbuilding movie and not holding it to any standard except "good". I am also not a huge action movie fan. I prefer a movie have a solid story than a lot of explosions and fighting (although fighting is often cool to watch).

Spoiler: show

Well, this movie checked off both "good" and "solid story" for me, despite having a lot of action. But most importantly, I feel it told a realistic story within the confines of the Star Wars universe. No, the heroes don't get a happy ending, other than the knowledge that they gave their lives to eventually save others'. More movies need to end like this. This is realistic. Happy endings are rare, especially in desperate life-or-death wars. Most of the time, people just die, often in futility. If the heroes had suddenly been whisked away by a ship, I would have felt cheated. It would have changed the story from realistic to unrealistic.

But the realism wasn't just in the ending. The way the characters acted, the different factions of the rebellion, and the actions the Empire took were all very realistic as well. I actually like the fact that the main characters weren't hyped up with overbearing, overly-individual personalities (aside from the comic relief droid, who actually fit in quite well regardless). They felt more like real people than caricatures trying to sound like real people. Not everyone is super interesting or has some quirk that lets you pick them out of a crowd immediately. Often heroes are just regular dudes put in a bad situation. That's what these guys felt like to me.

There's also the issue of what people are calling "fan-service". I disagree with this term in this case. "Fan-service" implies something superfluous to the story that is only included to give fans a thrill. However, if you look at the things that are called "fan-service" in this movie, in the broad scope of fitting this movie into the timeline, almost all of it was necessary. They were things that would have actually happened at that point in time. To me, it's less about showing it to the fans for fun (though of course there is an element of that). It's more about making the story fit into its place in the timeline. Not including those things would have been strange, because they happened and they needed to be shown. As a non-fan who wasn't looking for any kind of fan service in the first place, I just can't agree with people who are talking about the movie's "fan-service" in a derogatory way or implying it's just fluff.

Overall the movie came together very well. It ended just the way it should have. It did feel a bit long because of the exposition necessary to set up the meat of the story, but it left me with the very satisfied feeling that I've seen what really happened that caused the events in Episode IV. I couldn't have asked for more than that from this movie, and I think it was a great addition to the Star Wars catalog.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So a dude pretty high up in ILM did an interview with io9 and he revealed that one of the ideas for an ending involved Cassian being an Imperial spy who has a change of heart in the last minute and instead of turning the crew over to Vader, he sacrifices himself to Vader by detonating a "carbonite bomb" which froze our jolly dirty half dozen and hid their life signs from the Empire, and left them adrift in space to (presumably) some day be rescued.

Holy shit am I glad we got the ending we got instead of that.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I would have been quite upset.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah I'm glad they wrapped it up instead of leaving more sequel bait.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Original Version of the Film had Jyn & Cassian Surviving, Almost all of the Original Plot was Scrapped in the Reshoots
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...shoots-1100060

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Too late.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Original Version of the Film had Jyn & Cassian Surviving, Almost all of the Original Plot was Scrapped in the Reshoots
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...shoots-1100060
    Forest Whittaker and I forget who else seemed like they were pieced in there cuz reasons.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://theplaylist.net/rogue-one-wr...nces-20190319/

Writer Chris Weitz talks about previous versions of the script and why everyone had to die at the end.

The version prior to [mine] didn’t have everyone die. As a matter of fact, it ended with a wedding. I think it was on the presumption that Disney wouldn’t allow characters to die with such abandon.

I felt it was necessary because nobody ever mentions them or sees them again, but also because we’ve done this whole sort of theme about sacrifice that it was appropriate that all of our main characters die.
    Another variant of the script;

It wasn’t clear at the beginning of the movie that the Death Star was going to be the Death Star. It was just the sense [in] the Rebellion that something bad was going down and we need to find out about it. There was this developing sense of dread throughout the film.