+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Naw, there was only one prominent female character in the prequels and she was a pretty white lady in an inexplicably voluntary relationship with an emotionally unstable creep.

Which is the kind of relationship most internet dwellers dream of.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i'm feeling so attacked right now

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    Pretty much this. She just worked with what she was given. Internet troll culture is toxic so they went rabid. Didn't know she had to delete her Instagram.

Was the fan base this toxic during the prequels?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    The Star Wars fandom was so unrelentingly toxic during the prequel era that Jake Lloyd developed mental illnesses from the constant bullying, Natalie Portman struggled getting cast afterward and IIRC attended therapy thinking she was a bad actress, Hayden Christiansen soon quit acting, etc. That the prequels were so stacked with illustrious actors, yet only Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor's performances stood out, should indicate it was Lucas' catastrophic writing and direction at fault.

I thought Kelly Marie Tran played her part well. Unfortunately, her character was poorly utilized and given some tone deaf dialogue—and, being a controversial female character not adherent to men's fantasies, that means she's subjected to hyperbolic internet harassment and equation with Jar Jar.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I wonder if anyone could have expected that the prequels would be embraced and looked at so fondly in response to meme culture. People love them now, but only because they're bad.

I don't think they fall into that so bad it's good category, it's mostly just dangerously boring. You can have fun watching a bad movie, I just feel sleepy trying to watch prequels.

But yeah seeing people fawn over prequels because of these new movies is hilarious.

I feel bad for Kelly. The same shit happened to Chris Pratt over Starlord's decisions in Avengers...

People living in a fantasy world

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

lol

https://www.newsarama.com/40486-star...ld-report.html

What's hilarious is that it's totally "Solo's fault" and not Rian Johnsons shitty ass TLJ trainwreck that a small minority still defends till this day lol.

I’ll believe it if Celebration passes without any announcements

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    lol

https://www.newsarama.com/40486-star...ld-report.html

What's hilarious is that it's totally "Solo's fault" and not Rian Johnsons shitty ass TLJ trainwreck that a small minority still defends till this day lol.
    Every SW fan forum and subreddit is blaming TLJ, rightfully. And almost every thread has people hoping Rian’s trilogy is cancelled.

A lot of it falls on Kennedy for:

1. An incredible amount of turnover / firings leading to money down the drain.
    2. Reshoots that bled money and changed release dates, caused by 1 above.
    3. Giving Rian artistic freedom with 8, instead of having a fleshed out beginning, middle, and end that made cohesive sense. They should have just paid JJ whatever it took to commit himself to all 3. TFA was “safe”, but it was a fantastic foundation that flooded the internet and media with theories and hype for the next installment. Most people don’t even care about 9 now; if Kylo redeems himself, what trigger is there to use, Hux? That would be awful. If he sticks to being a bad guy, all we have seen him do is fail so there is really no sense of hopelessness for the good guys. Rian really fucked the series over.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I wouldn't pin it solely on TLJ/Rian. Disney opted to not do much for advertising for it. Hell, the first trailer didn't drop until 4 months before its release. Plus, they opted to release it in a month that was already flooded with blockbuster movies, in Deadpool and Infinity War. If they (Disney) want to keep with the anthology movies, they should extend the main saga schedule, to every 3 years, with the anthology movies coming out in the middle, so we'd have a new movie every 18 months, with plenty of time for one movie to die down, and the next ramp up.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    I wouldn't pin it solely on TLJ/Rian. Disney opted to not do much for advertising for it. Hell, the first trailer didn't drop until 4 months before its release. Plus, they opted to release it in a month that was already flooded with blockbuster movies, in Deadpool and Infinity War. If they (Disney) want to keep with the anthology movies, they should extend the main saga schedule, to every 3 years, with the anthology movies coming out in the middle, so we'd have a new movie every 18 months, with plenty of time for one movie to die down, and the next ramp up.
    Even just sticking with a Christmas release would have been way better. PEople were making a little tradition out of it, and it gave some time between movies.

BG Level

As we have already discussed, it is not the only reason, but it is absolutely one of the main reasons, in many peoples opinion. It’s also leaked that Lucasfilm wanted to release it this December and due to reshoots were told they had to make the May 25th date.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Reshoots made them release it earlier than they wanted? I don't understand

BG Level

Yes, they were told they could have whatever funding needed to fix the movie, so long as they met the May 25th date. Their request for a December release was denied. Rumor is they were afraid a poor release would negatively reflect on XI even further and wanted it further from XI’s release, after all the XIII backlash.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I thought they just didn't want to compete with whatever they have coming out this december, I think Mary Poppins? If its worrying about 9, thats fucking ridiculous lol.

BG Level

There was actually a big movie coming out this December (forgot which) that moved out of the time slot. That’s when Lucasfilm went for it and were denied.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

All Lucas film sees/cares about are $ figures. TLJ make a crap ton of cash, Solo didn't. Therefore anthology series are the issues, not the trilogy. Simple and predictable corporate business model.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Honestly fuck the people who took the TLJ backlash far enough that no one will ever get to take a creative risk with star wars again. Hope you guys enjoy committee designed sludge from the number one man in the business at making committee designed sludge.

And before someone brings its up no TLJ is not a good movie its textbook mediocre but not the garbage fire everyone made it out to be.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I think the root is that they didn't have a consistent director for the main trilogy. TLJ was a huge stylistic change and I would argue a huge misstep in story/direction. As said above by Welt,

TFA was “safe”, but it was a fantastic foundation that flooded the internet and media with theories and hype for the next installment. Most people don’t even care about 9 now; if Kylo redeems himself, what trigger is there to use, Hux? That would be awful. If he sticks to being a bad guy, all we have seen him do is fail so there is really no sense of hopelessness for the good guys. Rian really fucked the series over.
    I couldn't agree more. The mystique of Star Wars seemed to be rubbed off in the TLJ and that sucks.

Solo certainly didn't help by under performing. This also speaks to JUST how expensive making one of these movies is for Disney. Solo made 500mm+ and is probably still not in the black after advertising and Ron Howarding. It's the most expensive Star Wars movie EVER.

Think about that though. A one-off Star Wars universe movie was more expensive than a mainline SW flick. That should never happen. Even with a character as compelling as Han Solo could be, I would attribute most of the love of the character to Harrison Ford, not Han Solo. Disney overreached this time and having to replace the directors and reshoot a huge amount of the movie didn't help.

I look forward to seeing what JJ does with the end of the current trilogy and I think it will very much dictate how much more we see them push into the expanded universe of Star Wars.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

JJ is gonna have to save the franchise a second time. Get ready for more ‘member berries on the menu.