+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

ah how bg has fallen.. I remember a thread in GD back in the day with a video of 2 kids beating homeless people to death with hammers.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I understand the reasoning on closing the thread, though like others not too happy about it, though I've mainly been lurking, haven't posted much in that thread. What concerns me more though is the person who may harm them self over that thread. If a person is really getting that worked up over a topic, they should probably be pointed towards the suicide prevention line or some other crisis line, and not reading BG.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The transgender thread has been discussed for more than a week in the mod forums. The decision was made today to lock it down. It was not a decision that was made quickly. The majority of the posters in the thread have been able to talk and debate while remaining civil. There is, however, a small minority group that is apparently too fucking childish to be able to do this. In the past two days there have been a total of 15 different threads and reported items regarding the transgender thread made in the mod forum. Condescending or no, that thread has become a consistent problem. And quite simply put it is not Bane's, or any mods, responsibility to be baby sitting one particular thread. When a thread reaches the point where there's more negative than positive it's getting killed.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Have the mods considered just perma banning some people from the politics forum? There is a small subset of people who look at that area as glorified spam and really don't contribute anything.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So...the terrorist won?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Have the mods considered just perma banning some people from the politics forum? There is a small subset of people who look at that area as glorified spam and really don't contribute anything.
    It's been discussed in the past. We have done it to other posters for other sections(coughcoughleroycough.) It will be a topic that I will be bringing up with Sono. Like I said, the majority of you guys are fine.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I understand the reasoning on closing the thread, though like others not too happy about it, though I've mainly been lurking, haven't posted much in that thread. What concerns me more though is the person who may harm them self over that thread. If a person is really getting that worked up over a topic, they should probably be pointed towards the suicide prevention line or some other crisis line, and not reading BG.
    No one is going to harm themselves because of that thread. It came up that someone was suicidal, but that thread had nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    The transgender thread has been discussed for more than a week in the mod forums. The decision was made today to lock it down. It was not a decision that was made quickly. The majority of the posters in the thread have been able to talk and debate while remaining civil. There is, however, a small minority group that is apparently too fucking childish to be able to do this. In the past two days there have been a total of 15 different threads and reported items regarding the transgender thread made in the mod forum. Condescending or no, that thread has become a consistent problem. And quite simply put it is not Bane's, or any mods, responsibility to be baby sitting one particular thread. When a thread reaches the point where there's more negative than positive it's getting killed.
    If the majority of posters were fine, but a small minority causing problems, why not just remove that minority?

I understand the reluctance to start banning people here, because previously there was basically no rules, and anyone could do anythign they want, so you don't want to shock people by changing too much too fast, but i think this halfway approach, where you want to moderate, but also don't, is a bit silly, IMO. If moderation is to stay minimal, keep it minimal. if it's to be heavy, then make it heavy. This half and half approach isn't really working, because it allows a few troublemakers to throw a tantrum and make everyone else suffer, without facing any consequences themselves.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post

If the majority of posters were fine, but a small minority causing problems, why not just remove that minority?

I understand the reluctance to start banning people here, because previously there was basically no rules, and anyone could do anythign they want, so you don't want to shock people by changing too much too fast, but i think this halfway approach, where you want to moderate, but also don't, is a bit silly, IMO. If moderation is to stay minimal, keep it minimal. if it's to be heavy, then make it heavy. This half and half approach isn't really working, because it allows a few troublemakers to throw a tantrum and make everyone else suffer, without facing any consequences themselves.
    This isn't spam. There are rules in place. Because of the nature of the conversations in this forum they are not enforced as strictly as they would be in any of the other forums. It's also not so black and white as just removing the minority. Posters who have acted up have received infractions. I am not going to ban or restrict someone's access because of their conduct in one thread.

The bottom line is that thread went off the rails early and often. After multiple warnings were posted it continued. That is why it is locked.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Can't you guys just do topic bans? I've seen them on other forums. General infraction for the forum as an entirty and then just restrict from the particular thread

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Can't you guys just do topic bans? I've seen them on other forums. General infraction for the forum as an entirty and then just restrict from the particular thread
    We don't have that setup here. It's possible Ragns could get that up and running.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

When a thread reaches the point where there's more negative than positive it's getting killed.
    The transgender thread was literally more civil than 90% of threads on this site for the last few pages of it. Somewhere someone important is butthurt.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    The transgender thread was literally more civil than 90% of threads on this site for the last few pages of it. Somewhere someone important is butthurt.
    As it appears to you, sure. Being someone who wasn't involved in the thread at all until recently, 15 threads in a matter of days is quite enough. Maybe the only difference is that someone in the thread was butthurt enough to hit the dorito.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

stop relating spam to that shit subforum

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    stop relating spam to that shit subforum
    People will always relate the two when people think they can post whatever they want in Politics, which is what spam was created for, uncensored post whatever the fuck you want shit.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

To be fair, spam is not living up to it's glory days.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    To be fair, spam is not living up to it's glory days.
    Name a section that is though, lol

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

even if it's not, it is still a place that doesn't need moderation because we don't fucking need it. clearly not the case in this fucking halfway house

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    even if it's not, it is still a place that doesn't need moderation because we don't fucking need it. clearly not the case in this fucking halfway house
    Spam in it's own twisted way actually self moderates lol.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

horrible.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Spam in it's own twisted way actually self moderates lol.
    Right? They have thicker skin and don't need moderation. No need to moderate what isn't wanted/needed.
    Most people who don't want to be involved just leave there without need of help or assistance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast