+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Feedback Thread (Petitions to Ban Guartz Go Here)

Congratulations to our new mod, Banethebrawler!

We will not be adding any new rules to the section, however you will see some changes being made. Bane has been given the task to enforce current rules a lot stronger than what has happened in the past to try and put this section more on level with the rest of the forum. So, if you know shit wouldn't fly elsewhere, but would fly here in the past: knock it off.

As well, he has been asked that if threads get derailed too far they may be split so the original topic can still be discussed. If circle jerks of pages on end without adding new info happen, threads may be locked. This does NOT mean the topic is off limits. It just means if you want to continue talking about a topic you will need to start a new thread with some new info, article, etc. (Derailing is not against forum rules, so you will not be infracted for doing so, this is just for organization purposes and to help cull some nonsense going on.) If you want to keep a thread going, keep adding more info to it.

To add, we also would like to have a second mod help out Bane. We have a forum policy that if you are involved in a thread, you don't mod the thread as it could be biased. I would like someone to mod with him in case he runs into situations that he feels he shouldn't take action on.

If interested, please pm me with why you think you would be a good mod to help out.

I know we all like to kid around, but only serious inquiries will be considered. I have a lot on my plate irl atm, so while your responses could give me a chuckle and I don't mind them, I don't have time to dissect them on whether or not they are worth consideration.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Way to go Bane. Everybody wins this way.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

hah.

gonna take me a bit to really get things figured out to where im consistent, so please try not to take it personal if it seems like i'm being unfair. i am amused by you all equally.

shit mod

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

God to it before I could. Damn you.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

also, if you guys posted something that was somewhat related to the topic in one of the threadnaughts and it got little reaction, either point it out to me or re-post it in its own thread. example being the cosby allegations in the feminism thread.

Three different cop related threads. Have fun.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

even tho the only thread i posted in was fergeson but I got a feeling this place is going to turn into like if George Bush SR and GW JR fucked and had twins and those baby's fucked= new youtube comment section. r.i.p. incest republican

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So, not sure if this is the best place to post this, but i'm noticing something that has been really frustrating. Bane has been doing a pretty good job trying to steer conversations back where they should be when they turn bad, and i think that's good. The problem is i've noticed certain users repeatedly ignoring his warnings, and instead of warning/infracting the posters involved, the entire thread gets locked, then unlocked, then locked then unlocked. I feel like that is okay, in cases where the entire thread is out of hand, to give everyone a chance to cool down, but in cases where a warning is given, and then ignored by one or two people, there's no reason to punish everyone. It almost seems to me like certain posters have maybe even intentionally done this, because they want a thread locked, and i really don't think we should be encouraging that.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

This is as good a place as any.

I don't think of locking threads as a punishment. I think of it as a tool to interrupt bad-posting chains, redirect the thread's topic, and allow people a chance to cool down. Whenever I lock a thread, I'm trying to do one or more of those things. In the case of the transgender thread, I had been considering it already. The tone was becoming increasingly hostile, and while people self-corrected a few times, I was getting the feeling it needed a break to cool off. So when people immediately ignored my attempt to redirect, it was a sort of last-straw. I made up my mind to give people time to chill, but I will unlock it again in a little while.

Also, I am still trying to get a feel for what deserves an infraction/warning and what doesn't. Some of them have been clear-cut, and others not so much. This one is definitely not clear to me, so I will consult with the other mods and see what's up.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll work on it.

I await my infraction with antici

pation.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    This is as good a place as any.

I don't think of locking threads as a punishment. I think of it as a tool to interrupt bad-posting chains, redirect the thread's topic, and allow people a chance to cool down. Whenever I lock a thread, I'm trying to do one or more of those things. In the case of the transgender thread, I had been considering it already. The tone was becoming increasingly hostile, and while people self-corrected a few times, I was getting the feeling it needed a break to cool off. So when people immediately ignored my attempt to redirect, it was a sort of last-straw. I made up my mind to give people time to chill, but I will unlock it again in a little while.
    Of course, but i think the first thing to do is to just warn people, as you did. Sometimes, it really is needed, but other times, i feel like a warning is more than sufficient to cool things down, except for one or two people who just ignore it. In that case locking the entire thread seems like overkill to me, when it would be better to talk to the individuals who continued even after you told everyone to stop.

Also, I am still trying to get a feel for what deserves an infraction/warning and what doesn't. Some of them have been clear-cut, and others not so much. This one is definitely not clear to me, so I will consult with the other mods and see what's up.
    Right, of course. I'm not suggesting you start banning people if they step over the line even a little. Even just more individualized warnings, either publicly or privately, to those who ignore a more general one, would be more preferable than locking a thread because one person doesn't listen.

This is just my thoughts on the matter though, feel free to consider or ignore it as you wish. Thanks for listening.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Do I actually have to agree with hey? I guess I do in this case. There have been several times now since the changes to this forum that a select few posters have caused a topic to be closed. Those same posters make me stay away from the topic and not post. I would like to be involved in discussions, but not when it comes right back to the antagonistic posts or snarky, unrelated one-liners. Don't close the topic, warn or temp-ban the ones who won't stop attacking people or are not contributing to the discussion but come in to say something stupid just to piss people off.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I'm all for self moderation and I feel that a lot of people are capable of doing it. I feel like for the most part, we're all adults and we're capable of educated free thinking. In most sections we do not have clashing opinions that lead to tensions and ugly remarks at each other. So what we're seeing right now is a... test of seeing what works and what doesn't.

Because self moderation wasn't working before.

Rest assured, this feedback will go to the moderation team for consideration as we try to improve the section.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

I also really don't like that Bane is feeling the need to be the "strict adherence to thread topic" police. Look, I get that you want to eliminate personal attacks and I'm all for that, but conversations take turns and this isnt' an official presidential debate, we are just talking like people do. There was really nothing remotely lockable about that thread, and yet here we are.

Not to mention that the majority of posters already had moved back to the topic at hand when you decided to lock it...

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I actually understand that this is more or less a test on how we behave ourselves. If i recall how Bane got hired for this, nobody really wanted to moderate the Youtube section because of how difficult it would be, which is why I think they took applications and Bane jumped in. Personally, its a very volatile place because these topics aren't the normal game/anime talk, its about real life issues that effect all of us either directly or indirectly, so we all have very strong feelings about this one way or the other.

When it comes to the feminism thread as a small example, its hard to, as a guy, not take it personally since thats the nature of feminism for some feminists, and in some ways it always feels like a personal attack on men, so this makes things even more volatile because even indirectly some men feel directly challenged. I know myself included in this, though I know this isn't an excuse, simply a reasoning.

I do not envy Banes task, but I understand his want to not immediately begin infracting/banning folks in a sub section that was until recently not heavily modded, since it is a stir pot for heavy emotions and topics. I think locking it and giving us time to cool off did help some, but I think I agree that the time has passed that it might be getting close to time to hand out infractions. However, this will probably kill the section because as I said... its real life talk, and becoming emotional/heated about something you feel strongly regarding one way or the other is only human, and this human mistake might lead to being banned because you got a little to upset/personal.

Again, unenviable task here. Good luck.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    I also really don't like that Bane is feeling the need to be the "strict adherence to thread topic" police. Look, I get that you want to eliminate personal attacks and I'm all for that, but conversations take turns and this isnt' an official presidential debate, we are just talking like people do. There was really nothing remotely lockable about that thread, and yet here we are.

Not to mention that the majority of posters already had moved back to the topic at hand when you decided to lock it...
    There's going in a different direction, and the shit storm you are seeing in the transgender thread, i think it's the latter they are trying to avoid more than anything.

Also I think one of the more bigger issues is the occasional person who seems to only post to act like an idiot or purposely piss people off. Yeah some like Neph and Bum are incredibly stubborn and probably won't ever change their view, but at least they are promoting discussion. Others seem to just be there to troll.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Look at the top poster in the threads that tend to get locked most (click replies on the thread page to see whos posted how many times in that thread), just fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Others seem to just be there to troll.
    Gee I wonder who you're alluding to lol

Look, I get that you want to eliminate personal attacks and I'm all for that, but conversations take turns and this isnt' an official presidential debate, we are just talking like people do. There was really nothing remotely lockable about that thread, and yet here we are.

Not sure if its just coincidence, but Bane stepped in after I alluded to hey being an introvert. Is that really considered a personal attack?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Lately, I've been just sitting back and watching for the most part and I've got to say that while others may disagree... I think Bane has done a decent job.

Of course we're going to see some changes and naturally will resist change. Perhaps some warnings/infractions may have needed to have been handed out but we all know our boy doesn't want to swoop in like that. The temporary locking of a thread is not really a huge deal.
    Heck, I was a bit miffed when the feminism thread got locked (as that's one I often post in) but I just posted something relevant to the discussion in a new thread and Bane shot me a PM asking if I wanted it merged with the thread and it re-opened. I told him I'd be fine either way and he went ahead and did it. This tells me that as long as you do what he asked and post something of interest that isn't rehashing the same tired crap, the thread and be re-opened and move on.

I really feel like, at present, no major changes need to be made to his modding style but rather the forum needs to adjust itself to the fact that this place isn't the wild west anymore.

Also, I appreciate the fact that Bane is actually trying to do something whereas before anyone who wasn't Ksandra or occasionally Brill would sit there with their thumb up their ass.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

In regards to that, I felt the entire "being mean to someone who is mean to you" discussion was only somewhat related to the topic to begin with, and due to the extremely personal nature of the discussion, it was causing tensions to rise. The topic was, after all, specific to the relationship between a user and an individual in their life. None of us could ever possibly know all of the details involved in that relationship, and it didn't really have anything to do with transgender rights as a whole, so the entire conversation was, to me, purely a source of increased tension. Since the thread was heated enough as it was, I felt that warranted a redirect.

You could, theoretically, make a thread specifically about that conversation, but again, due to the extremely personal nature, it would rapidly devolve into shit-flinging. If you do so now, I will lock it immediately. If you were to make such a thread, it would need to be focused on the use of slurs or incorrect pronouns in the strictly general sense. That is the only way such a conversation could possibly happen in an acceptable manner. That sort of thread I will not lock until it becomes necessary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast