+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

In the "we want to build these in the future" part of the pipeline, so way the hell out. They know they're not competitive any more, but don't have anything being built as a reusable alternative to SpaceX yet.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    The seven crewpersons on the International Space Station (ISS) had to take shelter today from a threatening debris field. The astronauts and cosmonauts took refuge in the Dragon and Soyuz spacecraft currently docked to the ISS. If the situation had become disastrous, this precaution would have allowed the crew to abandon the station and return to Earth.

After passing through the debris apparently without incident, the crew returned to the station. However, the ISS is passing through or near the debris every hour so the crew are keeping the hatches between sections sealed in case the station is holed. Planned activities with the station's robot arm have been cancelled and the crew’s busy work schedule is being amended. At present it is unclear how long the ISS will be under threat.
    Thanks Russia

https://twitter.com/paulsonne/status...283443205?s=21

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I had thought the US, Russia and China as well had use missile strikes to decommissioned satellites plenty of times before?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    I had thought the US, Russia and China as well had use missile strikes to decommissioned satellites plenty of times before?
    From articles I was reading the other tests were done in a much more controlled manner that ensured less debris going into orbit and becoming an issue for space travel. Previous tests were also announced with various space agencies so they could be done safely. This one was done without warning, done on a satellite higher up in orbit and created lots of sizeable debris that needs to be tracked and posed a threat to the ISS.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/23/spac...-asteroid.html

NASA x SpaceX to launch a rocket to smash into an asteroid to prevent a future collision with Earth.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX is set to launch a first-of-its-kind planetary defense mission for NASA in the early hours of Wednesday morning, sending the spacecraft on its way to intentionally crash into an asteroid.

“We’re smashing into an asteroid,” NASA’s Launch Services Program senior launch director Omar Baez said during a press conference. “I can’t believe we’re doing that”

Known as the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (or DART) mission, the space agency is trying to learn “how to deflect a threat that would come” toward Earth, NASA associate administrator of the science mission directorate Thomas Zurbuchen said.

“Rest assured, that rock right now is not a threat,” he said.
    Scheduled launch is 1:20 AM ET.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Right now is the key.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Inb4 they hit the rock and the impact redirects it to earth.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Not possible. The asteroid they will try to hit is orbiting a much larger one and the kinetic energy should only alter the orbit of the small one by a fraction of a percent. Not enough to make it break away from it's parent body. The spacecraft isn't even as big as a car.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

JWST Dec 22 at 7:20 EST.

Fucking stoked, worked on the project a bit and it's been a long ass fucking time coming to launch this shit. Hopefully everything goes to plan and it actually unfolds properly and we don't have an issue like after Hubble launched.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/launch.html

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

https://thedebrief.org/darpa-funded-...t-warp-bubble/

Seems important.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post

Fucking stoked, worked on the project a bit and it's been a long ass fucking time coming to launch this shit. Hopefully everything goes to plan and it actually unfolds properly and we don't have an issue like after Hubble launched.

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Launch delayed until Dec 24th. Got an email today directing public to visit https://go.nasa.gov/WebbSTEAMDay

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

GDI

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

It has been delayed again. The new launch window is on Christmas day beginning at 7:20am EST.

Ya know, I saw the thread update notification, and I thought "it couldn't possibly be delayed again, please no."

Thanks Obama.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    It has been delayed again. The new launch window is on Christmas day beginning at 7:20am EST.
    Not sure if this is a good or bad omen.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Not sure if this is a good or bad omen.
    Pretty typical, thunderstorms and crazy weather down there and mornings are the only good windows but its fairly usual for major missions to delay a bunch on launches and such. At least the thing is all there and ready to go and actually put together! That was the hard part lol

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post

If there is an error they can't go out and fix it like they did with Hubble. Speaking of which, wasn't Hubble's issue that they decided to skip testing the mirror's curvature to save time and money and it ended up being misaligned by the width of a hair screwing up the focal length? I've ran into this before when trying to build my own telescope where I didn't grind the glass enough and when I did a Foucoult test my focal length was way off. I wanted an 8 inch F/6 but end up with an 8 inch F/24.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag